Thread: What’s the deal with trucking Mumbles

Load Metric

What’s the deal with trucking Mumbles

jackdaniels is forced to ride his bike and Ben isn’t getting any toys for Hanukkah

What is the deal with the driver shortage? I can imagine nobody got recertification or took whatever mandated classroom hours might be needed like a lot of licensed professions. However, it goes beyond this I think. Why aren’t the unions putting pressure on regulators and lawmakers to give those requirements a pass? If their drivers aren’t working nobody including the unions get paid.

In before dwai says something about Trump unemployment bonus.

As an aside … cause there always is one with me

Did you catch the recent electric vehicle conference excluded Tesla? Only union companies were invited. Of course Biden owes a debt to the UAW. Makes you smile when the game is played with no pretense.

Further, I’m reading the proposed EV subsidies will be greater for union made vehicles. First Grimes and now this. Elon getting snubbed by everyone. I’m furious that EV’s are getting ANY subsidies. Free enterprise bitch. Make a good vehicle the public wants and use the subsidies to build charging stations..maaaaayyyyybe.

Have you binked any kind of bonus or raise? Did you job hop?

Comments

JACKDANIELS: i choose to ride my bike

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

Jayjami: For a Jew, you’ve got a great ear for country music.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    jackdaniels is forced to ride his bike and Ben isn’t getting any toys for Hanukkah

What is the deal with the driver shortage? I can imagine nobody got recertification or took whatever mandated classroom hours might be needed like a lot of licensed professions. However, it goes beyond this I think. Why aren’t the unions putting pressure on regulators and lawmakers to give those requirements a pass? If their drivers aren’t working nobody including the unions get paid.

Did you catch the recent electric vehicle conference excluded Tesla? Only union companies were invited. Of course Biden owes a debt to the UAW. Makes you smile when the game is played with no pretense.

Further, I’m reading the proposed EV subsidies will be greater for union made vehicles. First Grimes and now this. Elon getting snubbed by everyone. I’m furious that EV’s are getting ANY subsidies. Free enterprise bitch. Make a good vehicle the public wants and use the subsidies to build charging stations..maaaaayyyyybe.

Maybe the idea is for nothing to make sense? All the nonsense these days must be deliberate right? The people we elected can't be this inept, can they?

Load Metric
    big trucker shortage in the uk too its getting blamed on brexit and covid but i think the main thing is who want to drive a truck for 8-10 hours every fucking day no chance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Load Metric
    IMO, the NPR article from a few months ago is pretty balanced on the issue of the so-called “driver shortage”.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...river-shortage

Cliffs with some of my own exposition:

* Big carriers, repped by the large industry lobbying entity, American Trucking Associations (ATA), push the “driver shortage” story to extract help from big business-friendly members of Congress to make it easier for big carriers to churn new-to-the-industry drivers at much lower pay rates into their truck fleet seats given their roughly 90% turnover rate. A recent example is a proposed new federal law that is the deceptively-named DRIVE-Safe Act, that would lower the minimum driver age for interstate carriers from 21 to 18. But because only large carriers have the financial strength to self-insure — and thus aren’t required to have independently underwriten insurance policies on their fleet — only the major carriers are likely to be able tap into the 18-20 labor pool for drivers of interstate freight.

* Owner/operators, usually repped by a different lobbying entity, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIPA) usually say there really isn’t a driver shortage, just a bad retention rate for the major carriers because they tend to pay way too little or treat many of their drivers very poorly, resulting in high turnover at thise big companies. But it should be recognized that owner/operators that get paid as a percentage of the freight charge (versus a fixed per mile rate), benefit from actual positive demand-supply imbalances, which drive up freight rates, such as has been happening since the first wave of COVID pandemics lockdowns ended sometime last year.

I’ll address some of the other questions in a later post.

Comments

country978: thanks mumbles

Crowe Diddly: good stuff!

Sanlmar: Ideas
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 10-01-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    IMO, the NPR article from a few months ago is pretty balanced on the issue of the so-called “driver shortage”.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...river-shortage

Cliffs with some of my own exposition:

* Big carriers, repped by the large industry lobbying entity, American Trucking Associations (ATA), push the “driver shortage” story to extract help from big business-friendly members of Congress to make it easier for big carriers to churn new-to-the-industry drivers at much lower pay rates into their truck fleet seats given their roughly 90% turnover rate. A recent example is a proposed new federal law that is the deceptively-named DRIVE-Safe Act, that would lower the minimum driver age for interstate carriers from 21 to 18. But because only large carriers have the financial strength to self-insure — and thus aren’t required to have independently underwriten insurance policies on their fleet — only the major carriers are likely to be able tap into the 18-20 labor pool for drivers of interstate freight.

* Owner/operators, usually repped by a different lobbying entity, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIPA) usually say there really isn’t a driver shortage, just a bad retention rate for the major carriers because they tend to pay way too little or treat many of their drivers very poorly, resulting in high turnover at thise big companies. But it should be recognized that owner/operators that get paid as a percentage of the freight charge (versus a fixed per mile rate), benefit from actual positive demand-supply imbalances, which drive up freight rates, such as has been happening since the first wave of COVID pandemics lockdowns ended sometime last year.

I’ll address some of the other questions in a later post.
    CAPITALISM BAD!!

shut up you stupid faggot

Load Metric
    Like most economic phenomenon there is likely more than one reason.

Your post about the big carriers using pimply faced yute is a fresh take to me.

The high turnover due to poor pay. That’s universal. But we will check that box too

Someone tried to convince me today that the number of rigs has declined. He attributed that to uncertainty about future tech. Carriers are delaying purchasing decisions kind of thing. I countered that rigs appear to last forever. There is a natural turnover, I guess. I can imagine zero purchases were made for 18 months.

It’s such a huge problem for the entire economy.

We are unwinding leverage (at least the Fed says the want to) and I’m taught that is deflationary but everything I see and touch tells me inflation. It’s an interesting puzzle.

Load Metric
    Like most economic phenomenon there is likely more than one reason.

Your post about the big carriers using pimply faced yute is a fresh take to me.

The high turnover due to poor pay. That’s universal. But we will check that box too

Someone tried to convince me today that the number of rigs has declined. He attributed that to uncertainty about future tech. Carriers are delaying purchasing decisions kind of thing. I countered that rigs appear to last forever. There is a natural turnover, I guess. I can imagine zero purchases were made for 18 months.

It’s such a huge problem for the entire economy.

We are unwinding leverage (at least the Fed says the want to) and I’m taught that is deflationary but everything I see and touch tells me inflation. It’s an interesting puzzle.
    I think your instincts here are correct. Not sure where the truck business doomsayer was getting his figures, because everything I’ve read says the opposite:

* New semi truck sales in the US have been at a record pace in the first half of 2021.

https://www.truckpartsandservice.com...-to-start-2021

* Autonomous trucks hitting the roadways in any appreciable level is at least a decade away if not double that.

https://www.fleetowner.com/technolog...ears-warranted

*While a few states, such as California and New York, have passed laws that require the phase-out of the SALES of emissions trucks in their state, but they’ve yet to pass laws preventing such vehicles to use their roads. So, such laws are likely to first affect only trucking companies who are somehow bound to be registered in those states. And we all know how businesses respond to overly restrictive regulations that are concentrated in a few states.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/1015299...ssions-by-2045

* And despite the hype from Elon Mush, his cult, and gung-ho financial magazine reporterd, zero-emissions semi trucks being a competitive alternate to diesel units for long-haul carriers is quite a ways off

Plus, can you really trust someone who is so insecure about how tall he appears in public that he resorts to wearing footwear with built-in lifts?

Name:  ED9A25A0-2C76-40B0-8364-F8E894C80C7B.jpeg
Views: 363
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  5EC8D9BB-77E5-48D7-B23D-8DFF8C4832F3.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  16.7 KB

Comments

Sanlmar:
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    So what’s your take on transportation as it might affect the supply chain?

Tyde is sunning his balls on the deck of some ship waiting to get unloaded at the Los Angeles port. Container trucking has got to be responsible for some of this.

You see the Boston Dynamics (dancing robots) working on unloading trucks with robots? Think I saw a demonstration on 60 Minutes.

Load Metric
    So what’s your take on transportation as it might affect the supply chain?

Tyde is sunning his balls on the deck of some ship waiting to get unloaded at the Los Angeles port. Container trucking has got to be responsible for some of this.

You see the Boston Dynamics (dancing robots) working on unloading trucks with robots? Think I saw a demonstration on 60 Minutes.
    I saw the video where a robot with suction cups loads and unloads cartons. Look impressive, but I would have to wonder how expensive such a device would be to buy and maintain when it become commercially available. But I’m not sure how their commercial availability when they finally become an economically competitive alternative to how most freight in currently loaded/unloaded into semi-truck trailers (pallets moved around by forklifts manned by human beings).

As far as the other tech innovations mentioned above:

* The “greening” of the US’ commercial truck fleets is going to cost either taxpayers or the trucking industry a bundle until the combination of zero-emissions electricity generation AND storage becomes radically cheaper than it currently is, probably by a factor of 2 to 3, give how energy efficient current diesel engine technology is. Plus, we will need to spend another bundle to update and expand out energy grid to be able to handle the build out of green electricity generation. Will green energy-friendly national politicians being to control the federal government enough over the next few decades to force that tech adoption through with the fossil fuel-friendly ones significantly slowing down that transition?

*Because there is a lot more to moving freight with a truck than merely driving the truck, and there will most liky always be tricky portions of the roadway that the automation won’t usually handle well in a consistent manner, my impression is that “autonomous driving” trucks will likely result in lowering the number of truck drivers needed to move the same amount freight by allowing the drivers to take DOT regulated breaks from driving while the rig is moving along portions of the route that are relatively easy for an automous driving system to handle. How much of a labor savings within the next 30 years is likely to be a rough guess, but maybe 50% over that period is potentially feasible. I made a detailed list of such things in another thread on the topic a few years ago. I’ll look for that post and copy into this thread if you can’t find it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Hope you didn't get stuck in the I 95 mess overnight Mumbles, looks pretty bad on my tv:

https://apnews.com/article/snow-stor...6ac517fb45f17f

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    Hope you didn't get stuck in the I 95 mess overnight Mumbles, looks pretty bad on my tv:

https://apnews.com/article/snow-stor...6ac517fb45f17f
    No. A month or so ago, I had to come off the road because I fucked up one of my shoulders in an on-the-job accident. So, I’ll be out on disability until I recover from pending rotator cuff surgery.

Re the bad weather/driving conditions/accidents: Have had mixed emotions about being safe here at home. While I don’t miss having gotten caught up in any of those pile-ups, I do miss the fun and challenge of planning and executing safe passage of my rig out there even during the winter.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    big trucker shortage in the uk too its getting blamed on brexit and covid but i think the main thing is who want to drive a truck for 8-10 hours every fucking day no chance
    Lot of truck drivers think setting in a cubicle all day long poking at a computer would be torture.
    Save a Cow - Eat a Vegetarian, they're grass-fed.

Load Metric
    Video update on self-driving trucks. And it ain’t good for the fanboys of that technology.

Load Metric

In enough Time Gasoline vehicles will not be peoples choice anymore

Logically no rational person is going to choose a Gasoline powered vehicle that costs you at least $10-$20 per day (x7=!$140 week) in Gas costs. The avg American Consumer will not keep doing this. That now adds up over time of course. And during HIGH Inflation people are going to get smarter mark my words now. Over 365 days a year and most, would understand. Paying more upfront for an EV vehicle makes perfect sense now. And for the benefit of never having to go to a Gasoline station and pay money you're hard earned Cash is going by buh bye. Eventually by Consume Choice. Now having said that of course there will still be a purpose for both, like paper money vs. Cryptocurrency or as I sometimes jokingly just refer to as. 'TheFuture' (lol...) it's true too actually in this case here. Evolution is real of course Gasoline isn't the evolved choice only stupid people in enough time sill actually choose the pay out of your pocket every day of every week you drive. As opposed too just plugging it into the EV port and going inside be all charged when you ready to leave next, or next day. Gasoline engines are on the way out now and smarter choice (EV vehicles) will come into play here now mark my words on this one too, in enough time this happens.

TheFuture

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

In enough Time Gasoline vehicles will not be peoples choice anymore

Logically no rational person is going to choose a Gasoline powered vehicle that costs you at least $10-$20 per day (x7=!$140 week) in Gas costs. The avg American Consumer will not keep doing this. That now adds up over time of course. And during HIGH Inflation people are going to get smarter mark my words now. Over 365 days a year and most, would understand. Paying more upfront for an EV vehicle makes perfect sense now. And for the benefit of never having to go to a Gasoline station and pay money you're hard earned Cash is going by buh bye. Eventually by Consume Choice. Now having said that of course there will still be a purpose for both, like paper money vs. Cryptocurrency or as I sometimes jokingly just refer to as. 'TheFuture' (lol...) it's true too actually in this case here. Evolution is real of course Gasoline isn't the evolved choice only stupid people in enough time sill actually choose the pay out of your pocket every day of every week you drive. As opposed too just plugging it into the EV port and going inside be all charged when you ready to leave next, or next day. Gasoline engines are on the way out now and smarter choice (EV vehicles) will come into play here now mark my words on this one too, in enough time this happens.

TheFuture
    Dont mean to rain on your parade there Garrett but charging an EV isnt free and in some cases it can be downright expensive especially in a place like California forcing the issue and the grid capacity issue is a major chokepoint for that very reason. Lack of electrical capacity on the grid needed to charge a vehicle. On top of that they might be fine for the avg guy driving to and from work and parking all night at home but for people out and about running errands or heck even for example taxis or delivery vehicles it's a massive problem since they can't go all day on a single charge even now.

Load Metric
    Update: Apparently, it’s getting worse for trucking, which I can personally attest to based on the fewer/shorter loads I’ve been running of late.

Now, I need to get my broker rep to have me on more loads that allow me to stop at poker rooms en route so that I can squeeze the local fish for some easy money.

Thread Information