Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Howard Stern still funny?

Load Metric

Is Howard Stern still funny?

I haven't really listened since Artie. But I've heard bad things

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post

oddly enough I tuned in this morning and turned it off as was kind of boring. Enough of the sarah silverman type interviews.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post

oddly enough I tuned in this morning and turned it off as was kind of boring. Enough of the sarah silverman type interviews.
    I heard they fired a buncha guys and they can't say retard and other things anymore. Banned Gilbert, etc

Load Metric
    1) "howard stern" is no longer a person, but a brand that was once worth like 10 figures. at that point, one starts to actively avoid getting valerie solanas'd.

2) a lot of people in his circle got there for being laughable fuckups and then died from being laughable fuckups. that gives a nigga pause at his age.

3) his original schtick cant compete with entire cultures that it gave birth to.

4) lol sirius radio. that was the exact moment the party ended.

5) lawyers.

Comments

michael:

NaturalBornHustler: 3.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    1)
    3) his original schtick cant compete with entire cultures that it gave birth to.
    This is deep

Load Metric
    I checked out when he went to satellite.

Love for Artie though.

Load Metric
    I like Artie but he looks fucking terrible.

Adding to dead pool 2018 and that may be a stretch with two months left in the year.

Comments

sonatine: i thought he was already dead honestly

michael: he seems coherent and clear

Load Metric
    Don Imus went from running nose to nose with Stern to 50 Watt AM syndication.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Tine nailed it.

Stern is the Tiger Woods of radio. He inspired an entire generation of young talent which has now grown up and is destroying him.

Comments

michael: makes sense

Load Metric
    AA Show > Howard Stern Show

I think Hanzi said it best, "Howard Stern has been on radio long enough to become Don Imus".

Show has become terrible, mainly consist of howard bitching and moaning about his life, you know how hard his life is....
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Load Metric
    best show.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I'm on a free trial run with xm and have used it for 2 months... I loved stern before went satellite. Listening now is not as good but still great interviews.. I've listened to him interview liam Gallagher, David letterman, Seinfeld and Marilyn Manson.. All were great.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I tuned out of Howard when he started going on those political rants during the Bush years.

Got tired of it.

Howard was best when he was apolitical (at least on his show), and focused more on pop culture and weird characters.

And his support of guys like Captain Janks was also great, as it exposed how unreliable the panel of "experts" and "witnesses" trotted out by the media really was. Stuff like that also decreased over the years.

I also felt he was better on radio where his vulgarity had to be restricted. That forced him to be more creative for shock value in other ways, resulting in a better show.

Load Metric
    It's still good. Not as good as it used to be, but still worth listening to a couple times a week. He's a better interviewer now more than ever imo. Ronnie has turned in some gold. Fred imitating him is pretty hilarious too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have never heard Stern except for Late Night appearances which were always good. Now I land on
    Howard Stern TV through Youtube and it's addictive as anything.

The sick fucks who worked there were just cannon fodder but they are the funny part albeit the butt of the joke. Stern is the ultimate shit disturber, obv funny and a good interviewer. Nothing stays the same, no different here.

Load Metric
    His two books from years ago are absolute gold.

For years I couldn't get Howard Stern because he wasn't on in Indy. Bob and Tom were based in Indy and nobody could compete with them. An alt rock station was going to carry Stern and Bob and Tom's station bought the alt rock station just to keep Stern off the air in Indy. This was when Bob and Tom were also starting to syndicate. I only saw Stern on E.

Like Druff my favorites were always the fools and fuck-ups and the people who tripped up other people who took themselves too seriously. Janks and Booey, etc.

Comments

unchainedghost: I bet Bob and tom are Indianapolis assholes
    HILLARY WON

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Check out 15/11/17
    Stern vs. Stewart
    the best

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

For years I couldn't get Howard Stern because he wasn't on in Indy. Bob and Tom were based in Indy and nobody could compete with them. An alt rock station was going to carry Stern and Bob and Tom's station bought the alt rock station just to keep Stern off the air in Indy. This was when Bob and Tom were also starting to syndicate. I only saw Stern on E.
    it wasn't alt-rock it was 93.1 the buzzard (classic rock), which was way fucking better than Q95. they did pick up Stern, I remember it being on air in Indy on 93.1, and the drama between Bob and Tom and Howard, who always would come into a new market and destroy the local morning-clowns. I wouldn't be surprised if q95 did buy out 93.1 to get him off indy airwaves, but he was on air here and he never did beat Bob and Tom in the morning

ftr I hate bob and tom, they laugh into the microphones in deep radio-guy voices at nothing it's complete shit. I do like some of the comedy songs they play though like

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

it wasn't alt-rock it was 93.1 the buzzard (classic rock), which was way fucking better than Q95. they did pick up Stern, I remember it being on air in Indy on 93.1, and the drama between Bob and Tom and Howard, who always would come into a new market and destroy the local morning-clowns. I wouldn't be surprised if q95 did buy out 93.1 to get him off indy airwaves, but he was on air here and he never did beat Bob and Tom in the morning

ftr I hate bob and tom, they laugh into the microphones in deep radio-guy voices at nothing it's complete shit. I do like some of the comedy songs they play though like

We're both right. 103.3 the alt rock station planned to bring on Stern and Q95 bought them out. This was in the early 90s. You're right that 93.1 brought in Stern in the late 90s, but that was his second try to enter the market. 93.1 when it was the Buzzard did indeed kick ass (though I thought their play list was rather narrow) and brought back Asher Benruby (wonder what religion he is), formerly known as the Atom Smasher, who was a fixture on the original 93.1 in the 60s and 70s, this time just calling him "Smash," to compete with Bob and Tom between about '93-'96. He failed, and by that time Bob and Tom were themselves syndicated, and didn't feel threatened by Stern when he came on 93.1. Also, 93.1 was/is owned by Emmis (Jeff Smulyan) along with some other stations in town and buying them out is a much bigger proposition.

Back when they first started out in the early '80s and were pushing the envelope and were more risqué, Bob and Tom were fantastic. Broadcasting Bob's vasectomy live on air was nothing short of brilliant. A few of their early albums are classics. They became more bland in the '90s after fighting some expensive free speech battles and even more so after Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction prompted he FCC to come down hard with the fines.
    HILLARY WON

Thread Information