Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeroll: Guess where Amazon’s HQ2 will go

Load Metric
    instead of just posting a link i will never read, how bout you at least quote some of its relevant points

also, simmer down dork store

Comments

DRK Star: How about getting hooked on phonics and learning to read?

PLOL: Team effort

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    instead of just posting a link i will never read, how bout you at least quote some of its relevant points

Lazy, handout-expecting, peasant
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    (I'm) a little preoccupied in Thailand right now

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post

why would I spend a couple minutes reading something when you provide no detail as to any new info within the article

couple that with the fact you are literally dork store, and your brother is a faggot cop

Comments

DRK Star: Sticks and stones

An Actual Female
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post

Name:  9DCD6F28-C708-47D0-A44E-E553DF08F70B.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  59.4 KB

Comments

sonatine: drag them all, princess murph

Tellafriend: Mumbles last lay!

Gold
    Load Metric
    Atlanta frontrunner for Amazon's second HQ, analysis finds

http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studi..._new_home.aspx

Atlanta will be home to Amazon's second headquarters. That's not official, but that's the analysis from Sperling's Best Places, which looks at demographics and place data such as the cost of living, housing prices, schools, and other items.

Sperling's says its team collected 18 of the most reputable lists and rankings of the potential Amazon locations and generated a score for each.

"Trust us - it's going to be Atlanta," Sperling's said.

The top 10

1. Atlanta

2. Boston

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

5. Washington, D.C.

6. Austin, Tex.

7. Dallas

8. Denver

9. New York City

10. Raleigh, N.C.

Seattle landed No. 28 on the list. Vancouver, B.C., was No. 64.

Tacoma did not land in the top 64, which is all the Sperling's list shows.

238 cities made pitches for Amazon's HQ2.

In a separate ranking that came out too late to be added to Sperling's analysis, The Wall Street Journal predicts Dallas is the frontrunner and says Seattle is high in the running.

The Wall Street Journal top contenders

Dallas

Boston

Washington, DC

Seattle

Atlanta

Chicago

Denver

New York City

Nashville

Austin, Tex.

Minneapolis

Newark, N.J.

GeekWire, a KING 5 News partner, recently ranked the cities most likely to attact Amazon as:

1. Toronto

2. Boston

3. Austin

4. Pittsburgh

5. Chicago

6. Atlanta

Below are links to all the studies Sperling's looked at. Sperling's says the Wall Street Journal posted its own rankings, which was not included in their list.

• Moody's Analytics

• Anderson Economic Group

• CNBC

• Quartz

• Reis

• New York Times / The Upshot

• Everest Group

• Lyman Stone

• Richard Florida

• Money / CNN

• New York Times Opinion

• Venture Beat

• CityLab

• GeekWire

• New York Times / Common Sense

• Slate

• InvestorPlace

• Denver News Tribune
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Top 64 from above article:

Super Rank Place Score (lower is better)
    1 Atlanta 13.6
    2 Boston 17.2
    3 Chicago 21.7
    4 Philadelphia 25.8
    5 Washington DC 26.5
    6 Austin 26.6
    7 Dallas 27.7
    8 Denver 28.3
    9 New York 29.3
    10 Raleigh 31.6
    11 Pittsburgh 32.2
    12 Toronto, Canada 34.5
    13 San Jose 34.8
    14 Salt Lake City 35.7
    15 San Francisco 35.9
    16 Minneapolis 36.4
    17 Portland 36.8
    18 Nashville 37.3
    19 Miami 37.4
    20 Los Angeles 37.7
    21 Baltimore 38.7
    22 Detroit 39.6
    23 Houston 39.9
    24 Charlotte 40
    25 Phoenix 40.9
    26 San Diego 41.5
    28 Rochester 42.6
    28 Seattle 42.6
    29 Cincinnati 42.6
    31 Richmond 42.9
    31 Las Vegas 42.9
    32 New Orleans 43
    33 Orlando 43.2
    34 Indianapolis 43.3
    35 Columbus 43.9
    36 Jacksonville 44.2
    37 St. Louis 44.4
    38 Kansas City 44.7
    39 San Antonio 45.6
    40 Cleveland 46.8
    41 Hartford 46.9
    42 Memphis 47.1
    43 Tampa 47.4
    44 Suburban Virginia 47.6
    45 Virginia Beach 47.6
    46 Tucson 47.7
    47 Birmingham 47.8
    48 Omaha 47.8
    49 Providence 48.1
    50 Syracuse 48.2
    51 Colorado Springs 48.2
    52 New Haven 48.3
    53 Westchester, NY 48.3
    55 Calgary 48.4
    55 Suburban Maryland 48.4
    56 Montreal 48.6
    57 Chattanooga 48.6
    58 Anaheim 48.9
    59 Sacramento 49.1
    60 Grand Rapids 49.1
    61 Ottawa 49.2
    62 Riverside 49.3
    63 Newark 49.4
    64 Vancouver, Canada 49.6
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    Nice job, Rahm, you fucking clown

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...FlowFB_CHBrand

Load Metric
    Because some meaningless clown survey gave them a bad grade? A D- for talent and C- for location is beyond retarded. If you actually read the survey you'll see why it's retarded. Why do you even comment so much on Chicago tho? Don't you live in Indiana?

In actual Chicago news, Amazon reps were spotted running around Chicago today:
    https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/2...ds-finkl-steel
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Some mighty expensive real estate in that list and very expensive talent costs. I know it's a headquarters and you would think the pay scale would be higher but I'd be surprised if they deliberately moved into a area where it's that cost prohibitive

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Because some meaningless clown survey gave them a bad grade? A D- for talent and C- for location is beyond retarded. If you actually read the survey you'll see why it's retarded. Why do you even comment so much on Chicago tho? Don't you live in Indiana?

In actual Chicago news, Amazon reps were spotted running around Chicago today:
    https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/11/2...ds-finkl-steel
    Chicago nw butbs, and my friend owns that Sterling Bay, mentioned in your article.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Some mighty expensive real estate in that list and very expensive talent costs.

Food for thought... real estate costs can be offset via tax breaks or other offsettish arrangements... and talent depends entirely on if they even want/need engineers.

Like who knows if this is going to be a bustling hub of AWS development or a bunch of advertising/marketing/data drones. The latter are pretty much going to work for 50% of the salary of the former.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Some mighty expensive real estate in that list and very expensive talent costs.

Food for thought... real estate costs can be offset via tax breaks or other offsettish arrangements... and talent depends entirely on if they even want/need engineers.

Like who knows if this is going to be a bustling hub of AWS development or a bunch of advertising/marketing/data drones. The latter are pretty much going to work for 50% of the salary of the former.
    They said average compensation package will be $100k. And for a lot of the cities bidding their incentives will be attached to that, otherwise there’s a clawback.

The only way to get the amount of talent that they need is if they move to an “expensive” area. Thinking they’ll choose Nashville or something is a joke. Pittsburgh is probably as “cheap” as they’d go
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric

They said average compensation package will be $100k. And for a lot of the cities bidding their incentives will be attached to that, otherwise there’s a clawback.

The only way to get the amount of talent that they need is if they move to an “expensive” area. Thinking they’ll choose Nashville or something is a joke. Pittsburgh is probably as “cheap” as they’d go
    Kansas City just agreed to build a brand new airport. Centrally located. We already have 2 HUGE fulfillment centers in the metro. Dark horse imo
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Load Metric

The word 'average' raises my eyebrows quite a bit there. If they are offering salesfags 70k, data crunchers 90k, and devops/tech 120-140k base, they could retain talent in "real" cities like Boston and Chicago. Thats a very interesting number, that 100k...

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

The word 'average' raises my eyebrows quite a bit there. If they are offering salesfags 70k, data crunchers 90k, and devops/tech 120-140k base, they could retain talent in "real" cities like Boston and Chicago. Thats a very interesting number, that 100k...
    100k won't be enough in Boston but it's not far off.

Load Metric
    I am starting to waver a little on Boston/Cambridge.

In November, the Boston metro area tied with Salt Lake City, Utah, for lowest unemployment rates in the nation among cities with a population of one million or more.
    Boston now faces an extremely tight labor market and possible shortages of skilled workers in some industries, according to leading economists

Boston educates more tech workers than any other top tech market in the country, at the region’s more than 80 colleges and universities. Yet companies in the city and state face a shortage of tech workers because so many highly skilled graduates leave for jobs in cities such as Silicon Valley, Seattle and Washington. So one of the very reasons to move here turns out to be not such a big advantage.

Housing is expensive so recruiting is a challenge. Transportation is tough.

GE just moved headquarters to Boston.

Personally, I am feeling job hopping that has me remembering 2000 and the tech bubble. I know it can’t ever match that period but the frustration over people bouncing and the pain of recruiting is familiar.

A company cannot simply outbid others for talent in a tight market. That is not a sound approach. It is disruptive to the current culture. Every existing asshole thinks they can make demands. “I don’t need this shit”, is the response to every challenge.

I am feeling some kind of recency bias. A smart planner discounts the present good economy and looks at fundamental assets Boston offers. They ought to plan for the long haul. The market waxes and wanes.

Bottom line employment is crazy tight right now. It would be a tough start for Amazon.

I actually responded to a Scandinavian Bob post. Nobody makes $100k he claims. Any decent body is making $25. A recent college graduate with no particular skills is $25-$30. So maybe the lowest of the low is doing $50k. Combined income with girlfriend or wife is easily $100k.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 11-21-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Load Metric

100k won't be enough in Boston but it's not far off.
    Yeah but again I think it depends on the role. For tech talent of course youre right but if youre paying sales/advertising a low base + commission you can scale the tech base up past the 115k neighborhood and believe it or not, thats enough to start accruing high-mid to low-senior level talent, especially if your compensation package includes equity and/or bonuses to more desirable roles.

They could (theoretically) distribute the intellectual heavy lifting to their expensive brains in Seattle and delegate the implementation / maintenance / monitoring responsibilities to less senior roles elsewhere, while maintaining that 100k average salary goal.

But I agree that it leaves them very little wiggle room to compete with poaching or to cultivate talent from Boston's largely depleted available tech pool, and that salary range basically chases SF/Portland/SJ/NY off the table.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i will take charlotte
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Just updated to the final list. If you made a pick but don't see it on here, please lmk:
    PLOL - Chicago
    Sonatine - Pittsburgh
    Simpdog - Toronto
    The_Lurker - Atlanta
    Handicapme - Boston
    Suicide King - Denver
    Marley - Austin
    Wrenchjockey - Minneapolis
    Wiganer- Wigan
    Srslysirius - Dallas
    Flipper - Cleveland
    Daly - Raleigh
    HoodedN - DC
    Grenada - Coeur D'alene, Id
    YUUP, - Flint
    GamblesPenis - Nashville
    Snowtracks- Las Vegas
    Adamatium - Vienna, WV
    BetCheckBet - Ottawa
    NaturalBornHustler - Baltimore
    JohnCommode - Hartford
    BaronVonStrucker - Portland
    TellAFriend - Jacksonville
    Lewfather - Detroit
    IAmGreek - Salt Lake
    BritneysClit - Columbus
    Gringo - Schaumburg
    Hockey Guy - Fort Worth
    Hongkonger - Indianapolis
    MintJew - Round Rock
    Lordofthefraud - Mexico City
    Chinamaniac - Billerica
    IndyRick - Cincinnati
    Dagreek - Philadelphia
    Duped - Tampa
    FTPJesus - Phoenix
    DRK Star - Anchorage
    Tigerpiper- Kansas City, MO
    LegalizeMeth - San Diego
    Forum Wars - NYC
    Shortbus - Birmingham
    Gordo - Milwaukee
    WilliMcFML - Saint Louis
    Sanlmar - Cambridge, MA
    Limitles -St. Pete, Fl
    Ahoosier - Louisville
    Goodpoop - Richmond
    donkeykilla - St. Paul, MN

Edit:
    And sorry Mulva, it's already closed.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    https://boingboing.net/2017/11/27/ch...ve-amazon.html

Chicago literally refunding workers state income tax directly to Amazon if they sign on the dotted line.

Honestly, just saying, seeing my bosses effectively rake 4.75% of my paycheck every fucking week would probably produce Unintended Consequences.

Thread Information