Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Freeroll: Guess where Amazon’s HQ2 will go

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    can someone explain why AOC isn't an absolute idiot for cheering the fact that amazon bailed on NY and the 25,000 good jobs it was bringing with it?

again my nyc friends were horrified when this was announced, it was a potential doomsday scenario for quite a few subway lines because capacity. not to mention it was near one of the last affordable neighborhoods within commuting distance and the second this was announced, rents went up like 30-60%.

and the tax breaks basically sucked any potential benefits out of the equation, of course.

otherwise amazon would have just bought a fucking building and it wouldnt have been news.
    reports are it would have brought in over $25 billion in taxes for NY over time. not to mention giving new yorkers are those jobs.

but there would have been "gentrification" and tax breaks so the progressives couldn't get behind it i guess

Load Metric
    skatz

Load Metric

again my nyc friends were horrified when this was announced, it was a potential doomsday scenario for quite a few subway lines because capacity. not to mention it was near one of the last affordable neighborhoods within commuting distance and the second this was announced, rents went up like 30-60%.

and the tax breaks basically sucked any potential benefits out of the equation, of course.

otherwise amazon would have just bought a fucking building and it wouldnt have been news.
    reports are it would have brought in over $25 billion in taxes for NY over time. not to mention giving new yorkers are those jobs.

but there would have been "gentrification" and tax breaks so the progressives couldn't get behind it i guess

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...nia-2018-11-14

the only reason amazon said yes to new york is new york offered them a deal somehow more outlandishly fucked up than hundreds of other cities and did so from behind closed doors.

seriously look at those numbers, it wasnt tenable.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...nia-2018-11-14

the only reason amazon said yes to new york is new york offered them a deal somehow more outlandishly fucked up than hundreds of other cities and did so from behind closed doors.

seriously look at those numbers, it wasnt tenable.
    i'm gonna disagree with your untenable conclusion here.

from your article, the $3.4 billion NY offered wasn't even close to what other states bid:

"While $3.4 billion is nothing to sniff at, Amazon had reportedly received better offers. Maryland was offering $8.5 billion in tax and infrastructure incentives to Amazon as part of the bid for Montgomery County, while New Jersey was offered $7 billion in incentives as part of its Newark proposal."

also amazon only would have gotten the full $3.4 billion, if it created a net of 25,000 jobs.

how much would NY receive in tax revenue from this?

"Cuomo predicted that Amazon would hire 40,000 workers within 25 years and that the city would reap as much as $27.5 billion in tax revenue—a great return on a $3 billion enticement."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-lost-new-york

it's somewhat speculative. but i've seen a few people throw around similar numbers

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

Almost all of those jobs are $15 an hour

where did you hear that?

my understanding was that the overwhelming majority were all tech/sales/PM positions in the 115k starting base range.
    they reportedly would average $150,000/yr

Load Metric

where did you hear that?

my understanding was that the overwhelming majority were all tech/sales/PM positions in the 115k starting base range.
    fwiw (and surprisingly) thats super high for nyc these days. i feel like they just grabbed those salaries from glassdoor positions based in SF & Seattle. if i had to survive on market value in manhattan id move, instantly.

Comments

rum dick: Skatzconn

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

fwiw (and surprisingly) thats super high for nyc these days. i feel like they just grabbed those salaries from glassdoor positions based in SF & Seattle. if i had to survive on market value in manhattan id move, instantly.
    If you're making 150k in Manhattan and living in Manhattan long term you're probably an idiot.

Load Metric

For every I.T. or executive position job that pays $150K per year, there are 50 or more warehouse and customer service jobs that start at $28K per year. Amazon likes to pull bait and switch, they promise high paying jobs but those only make up 20% or less of the positions. Amazon was going to import most of the workers for the low paying jobs from New Jersey.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    In the end PLO is a stand up guy and shipped me the $25. I am thinking of a contest to pay it forward. It will now consume my existence.
    Send me that $25 back, you fuck
    I don't check this site for a few hours a major new drama erupts...of course it's about HQ2.

First I'm gonna have my lawyers review the terms of your "contest".

I thought you were gone, anyhow..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post

For every I.T. or executive position job that pays $150K per year, there are 50 or more warehouse and customer service jobs that start at $28K per year. Amazon likes to pull bait and switch, they promise high paying jobs but those only make up 20% or less of the positions. Amazon was going to import most of the workers for the low paying jobs from New Jersey.

100% believe that could be true now that i read it, surprised i didnt hear about it until now tho.

Load Metric
    Try to bear in mind (I know it’s hard)

at the end of the day Amazon is a big pile of retail

Load Metric
    POKER TODGE ALERT KEEPING JACE UP TO THE MINUTE

Load Metric
    also real talk i lost my tcl roku remote amazon had me one 2 days later we see you bezos

Load Metric
    OR IS IT BAEZOS I DONT KNOW ANYMORE YALL

Load Metric
    If Bezos was Canadian it’d be Baasov?

Load Metric
    cmon sal theres no chance a canadian could actually be richest man in the world look at their people

Load Metric
    surprise, AOC just got them back to NYC like a fucking boss.

quick reminder that the republicans have accomplished nothing in the last 3 years except obstruction of justice and memorizing scriptures.

Load Metric

quick reminder that the republicans have accomplished nothing in the last 3 years except obstruction of justice and memorizing scriptures.
    Jesus Christ stop reading left wing media

A 350,000 sq/ft warehouse is not HQ2

For fucks sake they are building a 1.1 million sq/ft warehouse in my neighboring town of 10,000 people.

A few thousand $15/hr jobs isn’t a $25 billion dollar HQ2

Load Metric
    Really?! Dems control the House. Muh Russiagate.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Only since this past January, moron. And the Rethuglicans still control the Senate. For now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

Jesus Christ stop reading left wing media

A 350,000 sq/ft warehouse is not HQ2

For fucks sake they are building a 1.1 million sq/ft warehouse in my neighboring town of 10,000 people.

A few thousand $15/hr jobs isn’t a $25 billion dollar HQ2
    if you dont think ny can use the taxes from 175m a year worth of new income, you havent been on a subway in a minute.

Thread Information