Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hospital charges $35.70 for six packets of fast food sauce, $57 for chicken strips and fries

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Hospital charges $35.70 for six packets of fast food sauce, $57 for chicken strips and fries

This was sent to me by a radio listener, who was in the hospital in October, 2016.

Name:  hospital-fastfood.png
Views: 819
Size:  170.2 KB

He was at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, New Hampshire.

He was served a standard fast food meal of chicken strips and french fries -- something you would get at most places for about $8.

Instead, the entire meal was $92.70.

While the $36 for chicken strips and $21 for french fries was outrageous enough, the most glaring markup came regarding the condiments.

Three small ketchup packets were $3 each, totaling $9. One little packet of Sweet and Sour sauce was $11. One packet of barbecue sauce was $10. Finally, the biggest "bargain" was $5.70 for a packet of honey mustard sauce.

The listener also noted that the same meal was available in the hospital cafeteria for under $10, and all of the sauces were free.

He didn't pay for this. He said it was billed to (and paid for) by his insurance, which is why the hospitals do this.

If you have no insurance, or if your out-of-pocket maximum isn't yet reached, you will also be paying for this "meal" out of pocket.

Hospitals claim they need to charge insane markups on services in order to pay for the countless patients who come through the doors and stiff them (and who they are required to treat), but that's not a good excuse.

This, my friends, is why we need health care cost reform, and not simply play the foolish game as to who pays for it.

Oh, and guess what? Do you think this sort of thing will go away if we go to a single payer model? Think again.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: insurance co & medicare cost accounting rules outrage

MumblesBadly: At least they didn't charge for the silverware.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hospitals are the worst and some things they force people to get from them not allowing you to bring in from the outside.

This might have changed or vary by location but years ago I saw the bill of a relative of mine and noticed a $36 box of kleenex on it. The same box you can buy for under $1.50 at the store and the kicker is they won't let someone bring one in for you.

Charging for free packets of condiments (perhaps 25c a piece at some places) might be the worst thing I have seen.

Load Metric
    lol @ fast food junk in hospitals. If even they show no responsibility for the staggering obesity epidemic in the US, then who the fuck will?

I've spent a fair few months in hospital over the last several years, all offering healthy delicious menus. Oh and all absolutely free obv.

NHS4life

Muslims get a halal menu with Michelin Star like options. Fuckers.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Hospitals are the worst and some things they force people to get from them not allowing you to bring in from the outside.

This might have changed or vary by location but years ago I saw the bill of a relative of mine and noticed a $36 box of kleenex on it. The same box you can buy for under $1.50 at the store and the kicker is they won't let someone bring one in for you.

Charging for free packets of condiments (perhaps 25c a piece at some places) might be the worst thing I have seen.
    I'm guessing that food from the outside wasn't restricted, but the guy probably was in the hospital bed, and had no way to get it himself.

When Ben's mom was in the hospital after having him, I was with her most of the time. I actually got so sick of the crappy hospital food (which wasn't a ripoff because I bought it from the cafeteria there) that I actually went out and got a pizza and brought it back. They had no issue with me doing this.

The $36 box of kleenex is LOL, though.

Basically, hospitals just hyper-inflate the cost of EVERYTHING, bill the insurance, and the insurance pays for it.

It's possible that some of this gets heavily discounted due to contractual agreements between the insurance and the hospital, but even if so, that's still unacceptable. This is because the same discounts do not apply if the person in the hospital lacks insurance, or if their insurance is not taken by that location.

I really wish that bills like these became more of the focus of health care reform. Once the outrageous COSTS become contained, then we can debate and discuss who pays for it.

Right now we essentially have the following ideologies:

Far-right: Health care isn't right. Everyone should pay their own way.

Moderate right: Health care is a right, but Obamacare is very flawed. We need to adjust some elements of it, give states more power, and pass a new but similar law.

Moderate left: Health care is a right, and Obamacare did a great job. It needs a few tweaks, but the right needs to stop attacking it.

Far-left: Health care is not only a right, but it should be completely provided by the government! Bring on single payer!

Notice that in ALL FOUR of these visions of US health care, not one addresses the cost issue. Republicans want the individuals to have more choice and to pay their own way, Democrats want everyone covered and the government to cover a lot more, but in all four visions, the current horrendous cost structure remains.

Oh, and LOL at idiot liberals who say, "Single payer will save us money because marketing and administrative costs of insurance companies will be a thing of the past."

Marketing and administrative costs are just a fraction of the problem here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    lol @ fast food junk in hospitals. If even they show no responsibility for the staggering obesity epidemic in the US, then who the fuck will?

I've spent a fair few months in hospital over the last several years, all offering healthy delicious menus. Oh and all absolutely free obv.

NHS4life

It's not free. Plenty of UK tax dollars are wasted on this.

But I'll give the UK credit for likely not having a runaway cost system like currently exists in the US. Unfortunately, Brits such as yourself foolishly cheer on the potential introduction of a single payer system in the US, not understanding that doing so with the current cost structure would be an unmitigated disaster (and would be a disaster for several other reasons, as well).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

NHS4life

But I'll give the UK credit for likely not having a runaway cost system like currently exists in the US. Unfortunately, Brits such as yourself foolishly cheer on the potential introduction of a single payer system in the US, not understanding that doing so with the current cost structure would be an unmitigated disaster (and would be a disaster for several other reasons, as well).
    the British government can fund public healthcare with the money they save on national defense by having that provided by the USA

Comments

LarryLaffer: we spend our money guarding idiots like LoTF and he can't even say thank you
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Banned
    Load Metric
    And yet our elected officials have spent months trying to push ACA light through the legislature and call it "health care reform"

Comments

LarryLaffer: hey how much did your stay at the hospital cost when you broke your back on the scaffolding? just wondering.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

the British government can fund public healthcare with the money they save on national defense by having that provided by the USA

How's that wall coming along !!!

Comments

GrenadaRoger: Not going up fast enough, long enough or high enough!

Load Metric

NHS4life

What do you mean it is not free?

Hospital food and treatment is free for every UK citizen. Sure we pay for it through tax. But it's a fair system which we all cherish and is an envy to much of the world.

And it's impossible not to have some wastage considering the size of the beast.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty007 View Post

How's that wall coming along !!!
    I gotta refer you to the reply given in the case Arkell vs Pressdram for this one.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Bronze
    Load Metric

Hospital food and treatment is free for every UK citizen. Sure we pay for it through tax. But it's a fair system which we all cherish and is an envy to much of the world.

100% this... Yes it has some pitfalls and some do abuse the system, but i take comfort knowing that I will never be left to rot on some side walk whilst others walk past.

Load Metric

When Trump moans about NATO not stumping up its fair whack, you know he isn't including the UK in that, right?

We pay our way. Always have done.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty007 View Post

100% this... Yes it has some pitfalls and some do abuse the system, but i take comfort knowing that I will never be left to rot on some side walk whilst others walk past.
    In America, the people at the top highly begrudge paying healthcare for those at the bottom.

But all the time you hear wealthy Brits say the NHS saved their lives when they didn't have a pot to piss in. And that's why they don't begrudge so much of our tax ££ going into the NHS.

You very rarely hear any complaints about this from those who have made it in life.

The US has no understanding of this which is why their healthcare system is one fat mess.

Load Metric
    Inpatient hospital stays are paid on a prospective payment system called a DRG. This is basically a flat rate based on the reason for the hospital admission. I am pretty sure food is included. If not it is reimbursed at a % of billed charges depending on the health plan contract. This means that the plan pays like .35 on the dollar. No one is paying 96.00 for that meal. If you got billed for it and had to pay cash or a deductible, you could negotiate the price down in about 2 seconds. I'm not saying that this is the right way to do things, but this is the way it is currently done.

Load Metric

When Trump moans about NATO not stumping up its fair whack, you know he isn't including the UK in that, right?

oh gee you pay a share of NATO, lol

NATO is only small part
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 09-26-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Load Metric
    Imagine the insurance companies opening their own facilities for primary care or acquiring one of the large hospital conglomerates

The insurance companies are not going to want to gouge their own bad selves and could control costs.

Insurance companies aren't a fortress of business intelligence so it's more likely that the giant hospital chains acquire an insurance company.

Fraud and unchecked expenses are what prohibit availability. The government is never the answer.

Normally I'm too exhausted by the stupidity associated with the health insurance discussion to give a shit but lately these ideas are my reflex to the topic.

Load Metric
    buy, they really ripped off 6tp this time.

Load Metric

NATO is only small part

lol, he posts it with such pride while his country circles the drain.

America has by far the highest rate of all that is bad in the Western World.

Incarceration

Healthcare

Ghettos

Mental health

etc x 1000000

Imagine the good what that hideous military overspending could do instead for your own people?

But they keep you dumb from birth which is why you are the official land of retard on this planet. You just don't know it, while we in the real civilized West see exactly how much they got you brainwashed. A bit like Muslims and their God tbh.

Comments

hongkonger: so much this

big dick: DON;T FORGET CRIME

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Inpatient hospital stays are paid on a prospective payment system called a DRG. This is basically a flat rate based on the reason for the hospital admission. I am pretty sure food is included. If not it is reimbursed at a % of billed charges depending on the health plan contract. This means that the plan pays like .35 on the dollar. No one is paying 96.00 for that meal. If you got billed for it and had to pay cash or a deductible, you could negotiate the price down in about 2 seconds. I'm not saying that this is the right way to do things, but this is the way it is currently done.
    Question regarding negotiation of bills:

Can anyone do this with any bill, if they have a big deductible?

In 2014, I had a $6500 deductible and got a $6600 hospital bill.

However, upon receiving the bill, I noticed they did two totally unnecessary tests on my blood (coag, and something else I forget) which weren't medically defensible, given the situation. I even verified with my brother (a doctor) and he agreed 100%. I did not agree to any of these tests. They just drew my blood for "tests" and then ticked off the boxes they felt like ticking off. Two of the several things they tested for were unnecessary.

I called and told them I wouldn't pay for those unnecessary tests. I was refusing to pay any of the bill until they removed those, which would have taken my bill down to about $6250 instead of $6600.

The billing woman surprisingly didn't fight me, and instead said, "Actually I can just lower it to $6000, is that okay?" I said yes, and she sent me a bill for $6000 even, which I paid.

Afterwards, I wondered if I was an idiot, and if I could have negotiated them down much further.

Load Metric

NATO is only small part

lol, he posts it with such pride while his country circles the drain.

America has by far the highest rate of all that is bad in the Western World.

Incarceration

Healthcare

Ghettos

Mental health

etc x 1000000

Imagine the good what that hideous military overspending could do instead for your own people?

But they keep you dumb from birth which is why you are the official land of retard on this planet. You just don't know it, while we in the real civilized West see exactly how much they got you brainwashed. A bit like Muslims and their God tbh.

lol, keep repeating that, maybe your low self esteem with improve plus you may convince yourself that any of it is true

Thread Information