Thread: *Official* League of Legends thread**

Load Metric

*Official* League of Legends thread**

I've played this game for nearly two years now. My younger brother is a decade younger than me, and I started playing it with him as a way to bond (He lives a thousand miles away). The game is free and that was the original draw. We used to play WOW, but he kept getting hacked. Warcraft also has a monthly fee and changed a lot so we gave that game up mostly, leaving a void to be filled. I never could have guessed I would enjoy LOL more than any game ever, so here I am years later trying to improve In ranked play.

I've gotten as high as gold 2, but hover around Silver mostly. My excuse is I don't have the greatest internet living In the country, and one lag-death can kill your game because of the snowballing aspect of the game. I improve by watching twitch pros mainly. I started playing Ryze mid, and Singed top, but have evolved into playing mostly jungle. My favorite jungles are master yi (bring on the hate... no skill champ! ) and Shyvana. I also play ADC....mostly Jhin and Tristana. If i get auto filled as support, I'll play Soraka or Morgana.

So, do you guys play? If so, what lanes do you prefer, and what champs? Do you venture Into ranked play, and if so, what was your highest ranking achieved? I never thought I'd be playing as much as I do, especially not at my age. I often tell people that I equate the game to mortal combat meets chess with a healthy dose of rock - paper - scissors too. It is certainly more than a simple tower game, and Riot does a great job with nerfing/buffing and adding new aspects and champs to make players have to constantly adapt to a new meta.

Zap, did you really make diamond? What is holding you back from challenger?

TLDR- League of Legends is the best game going, maybe the best game ever.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Take off the training wheels and play Dota, young man.

Load Metric
    1) thats adorable that you play this with your brother to bond and i mean that.

2) monitoring_thread.jpg because AI has 'solved' this game and i find the combination of the two subjects to be extremely interesting.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    2) monitoring_thread.jpg because AI has 'solved' this game
    Source? I'm really surprised to hear that. MOBAs are pretty complex, even dumbed down ones like League. Every AI in Dota I've seen is dogshit except for OpenAI. But that was for 1v1, an extremely simplified version of the game, and many pros have still managed to beat it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    2) monitoring_thread.jpg because AI has 'solved' this game
    Source? I'm really surprised to hear that. MOBAs are pretty complex, even dumbed down ones like League. Every AI in Dota I've seen is dogshit except for OpenAI. But that was for 1v1, an extremely simplified version of the game, and many pros have still managed to beat it.

fuck me to tears, i think i confused LoL with Dota 2 + Musk's OpenAI.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I've played dota2, can't get into it, and LOL IS THE BIGGEST GAME IN THE WORLD. Thanks for finding literally ANYTHING about me adorable, I guess, but when your sibling is a surprise late life baby, and a decade and 1k miles separates you, it can be difficult to find common ground. I smoke the intermediate AI in LOL (as does anyone better than bronze 5), and find it hard to believe that will ever change In 5v5 teamplay. I've heard the possibility of advanced bots being added and would welcome it. So, rather than derail the thread, Jace, Thomas, what lanes and champs do you play?

Banned
    Load Metric
    fuck me to tears, i think i confused LoL with Dota 2 + Musk's OpenAI.
    Gotcha. The OpenAI 1v1 bot is very impressive, but it's been way overhyped to the general public. It would wreck 99.9% of players in the laning phase (early game), but real games are 5v5 and you don't just get to man up unimpeded. It also has only learned to play one of a hundred playable characters. Aaaannnnd... it's not unbeatable.

He's one of several top tier pros to beat the bot straight up, but there are also cheesy exploits you can use to easily crush it, mainly by doing weird shit that it's never seen in its billions of simulations.

Think of it like a NLHE bot that can play almost perfectly preflop. A remarkable feat in itself. But it can only play heads up, at a specific stack depth, and it randomly clicks buttons postflop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've played dota2, can't get into it, and LOL IS THE BIGGEST GAME IN THE WORLD.
    Okay. With that in mind, I can recommend some more games you could get into.

Comments

sonatine: candyland ftw

Ricky: sick burn, never thought you were a dick before... bad day?

Load Metric
    Quake 3 arena was my first PC game. I remember watching that old show on g4 that showed all the new games coming out and just drooled over q3. After playing that game for 2 years i switched to CS (retail version) and became a cs / dod fanatic. Played CAL-i DoD and cal-m CS. i took a break from PC gaming for awhile after my XPS shit the bed and came back to see CSGO. Played CSGO for a long time during the day mostly as my IT job was in the evenings and my GF worked days. All day I would just play against or with all the big name streamers and pros on ESEA ect. Got to global elite on CSGO and about 9ish RWS on ESEA and got bored.

A couple of my csgo friends played LOL and I had no idea wtf the game was. At first it looked like shit and boring as fuck. Started playing a couple hours a day and once I got the lvl 30 played ranked. My first ranked season I ended in silver and i think that had alot to do with my friends being high plat and a diamond player ( they taught me alot and flamed the fuck out of me to teach me wtf to do). My second season I got up to Plat 3 and ended Plat 4. Started out Plat 5 this season after placement games but decayed my LP due to having my first kid and literally zero time to play for the first 3 months.

My IRL friends all play DOTA and I'm the lone wolf LOL player. I get flamed saying LOL is an easy game, but they get rekt in LOL and I get rekt in DOTA so it's all good.

I never thought I would be caught dead playing a game like LOL but it's fun as fuck and when I get to diamond ill be happy.

Load Metric
    I play HOTS with gf. Somehow even though she hates most video games she somehow got into it. We aboth are pretty shitty and low level. Totally understand the addictive aspect of the game but nearly quit due to how toxic so many players are. I hear LOL and DOTA is worse so have no motivation to try them out.

Comments

SrslySirius: all competitive online games have toxic tryhards

Ricky: league is by far the most toxic community i have been a part of, which is saying a lot considering. mute is your friend

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    I never thought I would be caught dead playing a game like LOL but it's fun as fuck and when I get to diamond ill be happy.
    : this

I got placed gold 5 this season, but due to trolls, my low tolerance for trolls, and poor net I've been as low as silver 5 recently. What lanes/ champs do you favor?

Ps i watch qtpie for ADC a lot, and cowsep for yi. What pros do you watch if any?

Load Metric
    : this

I got placed gold 5 this season, but due to trolls, my low tolerance for trolls, and poor net I've been as low as silver 5 recently. What lanes/ champs do you favor?

Ps i watch qtpie for ADC a lot, and cowsep for yi. What pros do you watch if any?
    ad/mid. whatever is meta. i mainly watch vods of Korean players. DOPA is a good one to watch for mid.

Load Metric
    also seems appropriate, one of my fav streamers

Comments

gimmick: I'm 12 btw HaHaa

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    but nearly quit due to how toxic so many players are. I hear LOL and DOTA is worse so have no motivation to try them out.
    but due to trolls, my low tolerance for trolls, and poor net I've been as low as silver 5 recently.
    I've seen case studies in different competitive games where simply muting annoying teammates can increase your winrate. This mostly applies to people who tilt easily though, as it means you had a big leak that could be plugged with one click.

The inverse is true too. Keeping a cool head, talking bitchy teammates off ledges, not throwing games (obv), being a leader, etc. will significantly increase rank/MMR/ELO/internetpoints relative to skill level.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm more making fun of a game than you (I don't really know who you are), but apologies if this touched a nerve.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I'm more making fun of a game than you (I don't really know who you are), but apologies if this touched a nerve.
    If it's so rudimentary and childish, it shouldn't be a problem for you to beat me. 1v1 aram for rolls, Garrett style!

Load Metric
    link that op.gg boi

Load Metric
    link that op.gg boi
    Considering I stream on occasion, and also have uploaded games to youtube, I prefer to not blow up my own spot. Feel free to link yours if it wont blow up yours. If you ever wanted to do some games, I have alternate accounts and we could do some unranked play (they are level 30 but dont have full runes etc, but the newest update will make runes and the 30 cap a thing of the past, I think it drops soon).

Btw, as a jungler, I miss last seasons jungle buffs, and the ability to solo dragon at level 3 as Yi. Though the Tank jungle meta was NOT my favorite.

Load Metric
    Thread incomplete, considering I only created it to find out if Wiz/Zap is actually Diamond.

Hide on bush. What say you Wiz?

Thread Information