Thread: PLO8: What do you do here?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

PLO8: What do you do here?

4-handed PLO8 game, $2.50/$5.00.

You have As2s7dKc

One opponent, who typically only calls flop if he has something, and will sometimes check-raise turn big, other times fold turn. Rarely check-raises flop. He is on the BB, you are UTG. Other 2 people folded pre to your raise. You both have around $550 behind.

Flop is J85, one spade.

He checks, you bet $35, he calls.

Turn is Qs. Now you have both the nut flush draw AND the nut low draw, but no made hand.

He checks. Do you bet something like pot, knowing you will be risking most of your stack if he check-raises? Or do you check back, hoping to catch something? Or perhaps bet smaller than pot?

Also, if you do bet something substantial on turn and brick, do you shove the river, or just check back and give up?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    4-handed PLO8 game, $2.50/$5.00.

You have As2s7dKc

One opponent, who typically only calls flop if he has something, and will sometimes check-raise turn big, other times fold turn. Rarely check-raises flop. He is on the BB, you are UTG. Other 2 people folded pre to your raise. You both have around $550 behind.

Flop is J85, one spade.

He checks, you bet $35, he calls.

Turn is Qs. Now you have both the nut flush draw AND the nut low draw, but no made hand.

He checks. Do you bet something like pot, knowing you will be risking most of your stack if he check-raises? Or do you check back, hoping to catch something? Or perhaps bet smaller than pot?

Also, if you do bet something substantial on turn and brick, do you shove the river, or just check back and give up?
    since this is on bovada you don't have to be balanced since the tables are anon...

if I'm playing with players that I play a ton with i'll mix it up, but weight heavily towards betting that turn...not looking to bet pot cause I'm repping a really strong and not believable range (T9 and JJ specifically)...most likely your UTG range that bets this flop and turn is gonna be tilted towards AAxx hands, Asxsxx hands, possible sooted high rundowns, and something like AQJ2 with a soot or two...

river play...if your opponent will look you up really light (say A3Jx), i'll give up unimproved...if your opponent is not that sticky, i'll probably bet all board pairs, give up on 9s, probably showdown on a K, bet any non-2 low (if your opponent is calling turn I don't expect him to have a strong hand and I'm fine with trying to push him off his half of the pot and your AK high might be good enough for the high...again I'm not really concerned about getting quartered in a lot of spots and like to use my naked lows to turn my hands into scoopers and not splits...), and probably bet any A as well to put him to the test...

at 100-110BBs I'm not really worried about getting check-jammed on that turn...ill just call because I probably have 40% against his range, but I want to use my huge draw to generate fold equity...think that's where PLO8 players make mistakes...they just don't use strong draws to try to generate fold equity...they would rather take free cards, which I think is a mistake...it's not like you have a marginal showdown value hand like a J or something...you have AK-high...that needs to be bet IMO...
    Last edited by GambleBotsChafedPenis; 09-25-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I check back 75% of the time, pot 25% of the time (and not folding if I get re-raised).
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    I check back 75% of the time, pot 25% of the time (and not folding if I get re-raised).
    why would you pot instead of size here? obv never folding if raised...but if you size the turn you leave more money behind to play brick rivers...if you pot you could get the player "committed" to the pot on a river brick where he's just like, 'fuck it, I have all this money in I call with AJ/AQ (if somehow he got there on the turn)...you size the turn (hefty mind you), you give yourself more playability on brick rivers...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The one argument for potting is that it shows you're serious.

Many players will pot when ahead and either want to extract value or charge the most for being sucked out on.

They will size when trying to bluff or semi-bluff.

I realize this isn't always true, but I'm observing it happening a lot.

However, if you're calling a check-raise anyway, a sizable turn bet less than pot should be fine, as even if the guy thinks you're full of it and check-raise bluffs you, it doesn't matter.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The one argument for potting is that it shows you're serious.

Many players will pot when ahead and either want to extract value or charge the most for being sucked out on.

They will size when trying to bluff or semi-bluff.

I realize this isn't always true, but I'm observing it happening a lot.

However, if you're calling a check-raise anyway, a sizable turn bet less than pot should be fine, as even if the guy thinks you're full of it and check-raise bluffs you, it doesn't matter.
    I think bet sizing on the turn is player/game dependent...while I argued for a less than pot sized bet on the turn (while still being fairly big, 2/3 - 4/5 pot) to leave more to play on the river, if a PSB on the turn will generate a fold then by all means go for that sizing...it's all about pushing the equity of your fairly strong draw on the turn...

been playing this game for a decade plus and have never really worried about optimizing sizing because the PLO8 community is full of a bunch of fucking retards...might be a leak on my part, but think in this game if you are in the general ballpark of optimum I think you'll be OK...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    This. I'd feel better about betting if I had a 3-4-5 and not a 7.

Multi way I pot more often.

If you can run it twice i pot 99% of the time.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Never ever checking that turn in that spot. Just way too high of a chance he has worse versions of both of your draws, especially 4 handed.

Thread Information