Thread: San Diego State Professor gives extra credit for taking "White Privilege Quiz"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

San Diego State Professor gives extra credit for taking "White Privilege Quiz"

SDSU sociology professor Dae Elliot offered extra credit to students willing to take the following "White Privilege Quiz":

Here's an article about it: https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/36904/

In order to get the extra credit, the students had to write about their score, and how they felt about their privilege.

Were you surprised by your score, or did it confirm what you already knew? Why is privilege normally invisible and what does it feel like to make it visible? Do you think this exercise is different for white students than for students of color? For black students than for Asian, Indian, Latino/a students, or other students of color?

Here is Steven Crowder taking the quiz:

Interestingly, the professor in question is not a person of color, but rather an old, white lesbian:

Comments

FPS_Russia: She's a true believer in what she's doing, she doesn't have an ulterior motive like David Cohen fr Comcast.

Load Metric
    College was a joke when i was in it up until 2008, but it seems to really be a joke now. if i had a son i don't think i'd advise him to go unless it was to a trade school, or for a stem degree

Load Metric
    like, i have a buddy who got a 2 year plumbing degree, who became a car salesman and worked his way up to finance manager making 100k/yr at the dealership. No finance education. Then I have a friend with a 4 year finance degree from a decent school making less than 50k/yr working in finance.

Load Metric
    point is i think working yer way up in a company works out better than spending 5 years getting a degree. all the whole 100k it cost or whatever

Load Metric
    really interesting stories

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    really interesting stories
    yah not really related to this but it got me on a college rant. you in college playa?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In many cases, a college degree is desired by employers because it is indicative of someone with the competence, intelligence, responsibility, and maturity to complete the degree program.

Some large companies actually require a degree -- sometimes in a specific field -- in order to be considered for a job.

In terms of actual skills which can be applied to industry, in some cases you can learn those same skills (or learn more) by simply taking non-college courses or training programs. In other cases, such as in the sciences, most people are better off learning in a formal classroom environment.

However, where I have a problem with academia is the entire concept of their attempt to make you into a "well rounded person" -- thus justifying forcing you into taking ethnic studies courses or other coursework which fits into their political/social agenda. This is nothing new. In 1989, the University of California system required all entering liberal arts students (most of the student population) to take ethnic studies courses, and a year later, that requirement extended to all students. I entered in 1990 in the engineering school, so I was forced to take one of those courses. In 1992, I took this course, and the professor told everyone that the LA rioters were "freedom fighters", rather than the thugs they actually were. (Even the convicted rioters themselves admitted they weren't doing it for any political or social reason.)

In addition, even outside of the ethnic studies courses, more mainstream courses (such as sociology in this case) are filled with radical left professors who work their fanatical ideology into the coursework.

I have no problem with such radical ideology being offered to students interested in it, but it's not fair to force this upon students simply trying to complete their required general education courses. It is basically unavoidable nowadays to complete college without running into at least a few of these whack-job professors.

The fact that this exists just as much -- or perhaps even more often -- at publicly-funded universities (such as San Diego State) is particularly offensive.

Many college students also eat this crap up, because they are usually in school on their parents' dime, never have to worry about supporting themselves or paying taxes, and want to seem cool and edgy by embracing the counterculture cause of the day.

Much of this nonsense would be eliminated by simply doing away with the long-obsolete concept of colleges attempting to graduate "well-rounded humans", and rather allowing more freedom in the choice of general education courses one must complete to graduate.

Comments

herbertstemple: well-rounded humans = good liberal

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    There is nothing worse than white people shaming other white people for their "privelage".

Banned
    Load Metric
    Calm down nerds.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post
    There is nothing worse than white people shaming other white people for their "privelage".
    So let me get this straight. In a world riddled with problems like cancer, heartbreak, inequality, and murder, this fucking cracker actually made the "assertion" that there is nothing worse than whitey getting a bit of verbal criticism. Sweet attempt at spelling privilege you fucking honky mong. Seriously white people are the biggest pussies I've ever seen. If you're a white male and you feel marginalized in this society just noose yourself because you're a pathetic talentless cuck.

Comments

The_Lurker: honky mong rep

MumblesBadly: LOL!

Banned
    Load Metric
    So let me get this straight. In a world riddled with problems like cancer, heartbreak, inequality, and murder, this fucking cracker actually made the "assertion" that there is nothing worse than whitey getting a bit of verbal criticism. Sweet attempt at spelling privilege you fucking honky mong. Seriously white people are the biggest pussies I've ever seen. If you're a white male and you feel marginalized in this society just noose yourself because you're a pathetic talentless cuck.

I want to give you a hug

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I don't blame you for being upset. You don't understand what it's like to have to be white in 2017

Load Metric
    look at what went on in st louis last night, mostly white protestors talking about white privilege outside a Billy Joel concert....

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...2359c6c7c.html

Load Metric

Comments

Tellafriend:

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I wonder if I'd have missd out on the bonus by saying Im fine with my apparent privilege since I have no control over society.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Load Metric
    I hope every kid in that class sent a copy of that quiz to their parents and said "this is what you're paying $40k a year for."

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: LOL/On Point Rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    look at what went on in st louis last night, mostly white protestors talking about white privilege outside a Billy Joel concert....

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...2359c6c7c.html
    Dear God, we have raised a generation of morons.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    IMO most of the people who scream the loudest about white privilege are just deflecting their own guilt onto others. This includes white and non white people.

If you are goIng to college or make over 40K/yr (which most of the people who talk about white priVelege are) you don't get to talk about white priveliege cause you are actually more privileged than the vast majority of white People in this country.

Most people who talk about white privilege just want to have it both ways. They want all the privilege and they want the social points for signaling their virtue.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    IMO most of the people who scream the loudest about white privilege are just deflecting their own guilt onto others. This includes white and non white people.

If you are goIng to college or make over 40K/yr (which most of the people who talk about white priVelege are) you don't get to talk about white priveliege cause you are actually more privileged than the vast majority of white People in this country.

Most people who talk about white privilege just want to have it both ways. They want all the privilege and they want the social points for signaling their virtue.
    100%

And if they don't make decent money, their parents do.

Those whining about "white privilege" need to take a field trip to small, mostly-white towns in the south, or even small towns in California or Nevada. Most of those people are anything but privileged. Many have had tough lives. Few have enjoyed the white privilege that liberals love to whine about.

Even worse, because of being white, they do not benefit from any sort of affirmative action program regarding college acceptance or employment. Being poor and white is the opposite of privilege, because you're both struggling and not given the same allowances that poor people from minority races receive.

You hit the nail on the head that most of this is about white, affluent guilt, and the feeling these people get which alleviates such guilt by believing they are supporting oppressed groups.

In general, white upper and middle class people who whine about racism tend to be extremely insufferable.

Comments

Tellafriend:

Thread Information