Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extortion - Harassment as a business model WTF?

Load Metric

Extortion - Harassment as a business model WTF?

Ok, a friend of mine got arrested a while back. It was a bullshit arrest, case of mistaken identity. They had to stay in jail overnight and they were released the next day without any charges and without going in front of a judge.

So, in the mail comes this stuff from a local website. (I have redacted these).

Envelope Front:

Name:  bmenv.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  16.1 KB
    Front Page of Letter:

Name:  bmletterfront.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  76.1 KB

Back of Letter:
    Name:  bmletterback.jpg
Views: 2431
Size:  44.5 KB
    So, for $200 they will keep anybody from using their notifications services against you.

The services they offer for sale to anybody who wants to fuck with you:

1. They will canvass your neighborhood putting flyers about you at every residence.

2. For certain crimes they will publically put you up on billboards.

3. They will monitor arrest records for landlords and employers.

But you can get out of all that by just sending them $200.

This is a pretty fucked up deal. Looks like extortion to me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Ok, a friend of mine got arrested a while back. It was a bullshit arrest, case of mistaken identity. They had to stay in jail overnight and they were released the next day without any charges and without going in front of a judge.

So, in the mail comes this stuff from a local website. (I have redacted these).

Envelope Front:

Name:  bmenv.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  16.1 KB
    Front Page of Letter:

Name:  bmletterfront.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  76.1 KB

Back of Letter:
    Name:  bmletterback.jpg
Views: 2431
Size:  44.5 KB
    So, for $200 they will keep anybody from using their notifications services against you.

The services they offer for sale to anybody who wants to fuck with you:

1. They will canvass your neighborhood putting flyers about you at every residence.

2. For certain crimes they will publically put you up on billboards.

3. They will monitor arrest records for landlords and employers.

But you can get out of all that by just sending them $200.

This is a pretty fucked up deal. Looks like extortion to me.
    Sounds like defamation of character if the guy was wrongfully accused

Platinum
    Load Metric
    There is no fucking way this can be legal.

Clearly extortion.

I would LOVE for them to try that shit with me, I would be getting locked up again.

I have to find out more about this, this is insane.

Load Metric
    I smell a prank call for next week's radio show. Or you could always ask a certain poster to unleash hell onto their website.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    I smell a prank call for next week's radio show. Or you could always ask a certain poster to unleash hell onto their website.

I was thinking the same thing. Reading the website.. unreal http://www.blabbermouthkc.com/notifi...-services.html

Diamond
    Load Metric
    It looks like its only offered in KC. Interesting, must be something about that city's law that allows them to do that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    It looks like its only offered in KC. Interesting, must be something about that city's law that allows them to do that.

Either that or they are just starting and havent "expanded." They have to employ douche bags in any given city to plaster these flyers around the person's home.

LOOL the owner of this site is going to end up in a dumpster. solid business model

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It's a scam.

Just tried googling and not one single result came up. Nothing.

They just made a nice fancy letter and are looking for idiots who get scared to ship them 2 hundo.

I would SO like to fuck with them somehow. Fucking bitches.

This is so illegal it isn't even funny.

Load Metric
    Check out this thread from a Kansas City forum:

http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=125790

Just opened for business, it seems. Making quite a splash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    It's a scam.

They just made a nice fancy letter and are looking for idiots who get scared to ship them 2 hundo.

I think this "business" JUST started which is why no search results.

Listen to this asshole owner try to pretend that he's not trying to extort money from people:

"Nightmare, I'm the owner of BlabberMouth, and I'm sure as hell legit. I will assume that it was yourself that was arrested and received a letter from my company, because I personally mailed out the first batch Friday night and people started receiving them Saturday, and since you posted this Saturday evening, either you, a friend or family member was the recipient of that letter... I know word spreads fast, but it doesn't spread THAT fast (again, I'm going to assume it was you, so my post will be directed to you- if it was someone that you know, feel free to substitue their name in).

To answer your question if anyone has ever heard of my company, probably not. Just because you haven't seen a business or company on TV, a billboard, or heard an ad on the radio doesn't mean that they don't exist or aren't "legit".

Now, if what I write in this post doesn't make you think I'm "legit" in what I'm doing, then you're more than welcome to leave your Profile up on my page and call my bluff and pray that no one in the WORLD calls my company and asks us to do a public notification on you. It's obvious that you aren't clear on what we do, how we operate, what the laws in the states in which we operate are, and why you got that letter. Oh, while you read this, maybe I might be more "legit" if I forewarn you that I've worked for the Kansas City Media Outlets (radio & TV stations) for over 15 years, on and off the air, and I have the tools and resources at my disposal to see my commitment to fulfill my company's mision and better our community completely.

First, BlabberMouth started on April 13, 2012, and it does take time before word is spread about a new business... however, in my case, the number of hits on my site since Saturday is about 500,000... so I'm sure that people are now aware of my company... all in 3 short days. And I will correct you because my company doesn't send "mailers"- it's a single letter telling someone they have a Profile on my site.

Second, The main purpose of my company is to make the public aware of the criminal actions of others in their neighborhood and their community, NOT to take off Profiles from my site- I HATE that option, but there is such a thing called "Defamation of Character", so by State Law, I have no choice but to offer an option to those who were arrested and are innocent of the charges brought against them to "opt-out" of being featured in our public notifications.

AS A COURTESY TO YOU AND OTHERS WITH MISDEMEANOR AND LESS SERIOUS FELONIES I allow them to remove their full Profile page, or pieces of information from it, no matter the status of their case or whether they are guilty or were found guilty of their charges. TBH- There is no law or rule that says I have to let anyone that's guilty of their charges come off of the site that I own if I don't want to, and I'm perfectly in my legal right to charge someone for destroying something that I spent my time creating. So, consider it a privilege that I'm even offering to take you off my site. I could just up and drop the removal option and go out and spread public knowledge and fact about anyone on my site if I wanted to under my 1st Amendment right (which has been done and challenged by others and prevailed in court). HOWEVER, I have morals and I want to run my company ethically, so I give people a chance to come off the site before we even consider doing a public campaign on them.

Third, NO, I'm not going to go out and BLAST someone just because I feel like it or because they stay up on my site because they didn't send compensation to my company to remove their profile- I'm not an asshole (sure, I might sound like one right now, but I'll get to why I'm writing in this tone in a second). I give people every opportunity and several options to get off of my site (some options are free, and the ones that cost range from $100-$250). BUT if they choose to stay on my site and someone asks us to spread the information on that Profile to the public, then we might spread the information. Again, we're not going to reveal anything just because someone didn't come off my site- I have a lot of factors that go into whether or not I do a public notification on someone.

Lastly, your statement that I blackmail people has no merit and shows me that you either haven't been to my site, or you didn't read the information pages on my site throughly or the letter throughly. Blackmail in the state of Kansas and Missouri, in laymen terms, is trying to get cash from someone by threatening to reveal information about them. I'm not threatening to reveal a damn thing because I already revealed it the second I, or someone that works for me, put up a Profile page with your information, and when we print our envelopes to mail the letters in because we put the mugshot, name, and address of the person smack-dab on the front of the envelope (which I'm sure you're aware of this) so that any person that handles it or views the envelope is made aware that that person was arrested (and that's usually a good 20-30 people, plus the guys at the post office I mail these from LOVE looking at the mugshots, and there's a good 40 people working there too). That is all done before a person is even aware that they are up on my site and before they read any correspondence from me about being on my site and the options available to them to remove their Profile. Hell, some people sat up on my site for over a month before I even sent out my letters, and I had 8,000 hits to my site while the temporary layout was being decided. Does it FEEL like blackmail? It might to you, but the law says that it isn't, and I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with lawyers to make sure that what I'm doing isn't blackmail, extortion (which, BTW, there are no laws on extortion in Kansas), slander, and a slue of other crimes or accusations that people have and want to throw at me.

Yes, I could save myself the $1.69 it costs to print and mail each letter, but I have morals and felt that people should know their information and address is up on my website, rather than have them find out and be embarrassed because a friend, co-worker, or family member tells them because they did a search on that person's name, or they see a FaceBook post with their mugshot and link to my site. There are straight "mugshot industry/removal" sites that put people up, print them in newspapers that they sell FOR PROFIT in stores, and not even bother telling the person and then charge you over $400 to get your stuff off of one site... God forbid it's up on more than one site! THOSE are the companies that you should question about being "legit". I could charge a LOT more to let people come off my site, but as I'm NOT out to "line my pockets" and get "phat wads of cash", and I understand that most people in today's economy DON'T have a ton of extra cash laying around, I chose to set my price to simply cover my costs. If you would rather me not take the time to manually fold, stuff, and stamp over 1,000 letters per week to those on my site, OR if you think I'm being too nice for sending out these letters, please let me know, because I spend well over $1,500 per week in postage and printing costs to mail those letters and I had to ignore my 2-year-old son and listen to him cry for my attention for 2 days to do that, just so I could give you an opportunity to salvage what you can of your reputation. Hell, that money could be given to my employees as raises because they all work their ass off for me and put up with a LOT of pissed off people calling up and cussing them out and threatening them (which in itself is a crime) simply because they jump to the conclusion that I'm "blackmailing" them.

In conclusion, Nightmare, my tone in this post is as such because it's obvious that you want to talk trash about my company, and it's apparent that you either don't understand what our purpose is and are deciding to not take us seriously.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    It's a scam.

Hold on a second. It might not be illegal. I can't go on CL and tell everyone about my scumbag deadbeat cocksucker tenant who doesnt pay rent, BUT the courthouse can sell all the names that are filed in housing court to a 3rd party which can put them on the internet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    It's a scam.

Hold on a second. It might not be illegal. I can't go on CL and tell everyone about my scumbag deadbeat cocksucker tenant who doesnt pay rent, BUT the courthouse can sell all the names that are filed in housing court to a 3rd party which can put them on the internet.
    It very well might not be. The guy is still going to be beheaded. Extorting criminals .... hilarious. The guy has fucking balls got to give him that.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Check out this thread from a Kansas City forum:

http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=125790

Just opened for business, it seems. Making quite a splash.
    It would so be worth it to smash this pricks face in and tell him to put that on your website as he is being put in the ambo.

Nightmare, I'm the owner of BlabberMouth, and I'm sure as hell legit. I will assume that it was yourself that was arrested and received a letter from my company, because I personally mailed out the first batch Friday night and people started receiving them Saturday, and since you posted this Saturday evening, either you, a friend or family member was the recipient of that letter... I know word spreads fast, but it doesn't spread THAT fast (again, I'm going to assume it was you, so my post will be directed to you- if it was someone that you know, feel free to substitue their name in).

To answer your question if anyone has ever heard of my company, probably not. Just because you haven't seen a business or company on TV, a billboard, or heard an ad on the radio doesn't mean that they don't exist or aren't "legit".

Now, if what I write in this post doesn't make you think I'm "legit" in what I'm doing, then you're more than welcome to leave your Profile up on my page and call my bluff and pray that no one in the WORLD calls my company and asks us to do a public notification on you. It's obvious that you aren't clear on what we do, how we operate, what the laws in the states in which we operate are, and why you got that letter. Oh, while you read this, maybe I might be more "legit" if I forewarn you that I've worked for the Kansas City Media Outlets (radio & TV stations) for over 15 years, on and off the air, and I have the tools and resources at my disposal to see my commitment to fulfill my company's mision and better our community completely.

First, BlabberMouth started on April 13, 2012, and it does take time before word is spread about a new business... however, in my case, the number of hits on my site since Saturday is about 500,000... so I'm sure that people are now aware of my company... all in 3 short days. And I will correct you because my company doesn't send "mailers"- it's a single letter telling someone they have a Profile on my site.

Second, The main purpose of my company is to make the public aware of the criminal actions of others in their neighborhood and their community, NOT to take off Profiles from my site- I HATE that option, but there is such a thing called "Defamation of Character", so by State Law, I have no choice but to offer an option to those who were arrested and are innocent of the charges brought against them to "opt-out" of being featured in our public notifications.

AS A COURTESY TO YOU AND OTHERS WITH MISDEMEANOR AND LESS SERIOUS FELONIES I allow them to remove their full Profile page, or pieces of information from it, no matter the status of their case or whether they are guilty or were found guilty of their charges. TBH- There is no law or rule that says I have to let anyone that's guilty of their charges come off of the site that I own if I don't want to, and I'm perfectly in my legal right to charge someone for destroying something that I spent my time creating. So, consider it a privilege that I'm even offering to take you off my site. I could just up and drop the removal option and go out and spread public knowledge and fact about anyone on my site if I wanted to under my 1st Amendment right (which has been done and challenged by others and prevailed in court). HOWEVER, I have morals and I want to run my company ethically, so I give people a chance to come off the site before we even consider doing a public campaign on them.

Third, NO, I'm not going to go out and BLAST someone just because I feel like it or because they stay up on my site because they didn't send compensation to my company to remove their profile- I'm not an asshole (sure, I might sound like one right now, but I'll get to why I'm writing in this tone in a second). I give people every opportunity and several options to get off of my site (some options are free, and the ones that cost range from $100-$250). BUT if they choose to stay on my site and someone asks us to spread the information on that Profile to the public, then we might spread the information. Again, we're not going to reveal anything just because someone didn't come off my site- I have a lot of factors that go into whether or not I do a public notification on someone.

Lastly, your statement that I blackmail people has no merit and shows me that you either haven't been to my site, or you didn't read the information pages on my site throughly or the letter throughly. Blackmail in the state of Kansas and Missouri, in laymen terms, is trying to get cash from someone by threatening to reveal information about them. I'm not threatening to reveal a damn thing because I already revealed it the second I, or someone that works for me, put up a Profile page with your information, and when we print our envelopes to mail the letters in because we put the mugshot, name, and address of the person smack-dab on the front of the envelope (which I'm sure you're aware of this) so that any person that handles it or views the envelope is made aware that that person was arrested (and that's usually a good 20-30 people, plus the guys at the post office I mail these from LOVE looking at the mugshots, and there's a good 40 people working there too). That is all done before a person is even aware that they are up on my site and before they read any correspondence from me about being on my site and the options available to them to remove their Profile. Hell, some people sat up on my site for over a month before I even sent out my letters, and I had 8,000 hits to my site while the temporary layout was being decided. Does it FEEL like blackmail? It might to you, but the law says that it isn't, and I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with lawyers to make sure that what I'm doing isn't blackmail, extortion (which, BTW, there are no laws on extortion in Kansas), slander, and a slue of other crimes or accusations that people have and want to throw at me.

Yes, I could save myself the $1.69 it costs to print and mail each letter, but I have morals and felt that people should know their information and address is up on my website, rather than have them find out and be embarrassed because a friend, co-worker, or family member tells them because they did a search on that person's name, or they see a FaceBook post with their mugshot and link to my site. There are straight "mugshot industry/removal" sites that put people up, print them in newspapers that they sell FOR PROFIT in stores, and not even bother telling the person and then charge you over $400 to get your stuff off of one site... God forbid it's up on more than one site! THOSE are the companies that you should question about being "legit". I could charge a LOT more to let people come off my site, but as I'm NOT out to "line my pockets" and get "phat wads of cash", and I understand that most people in today's economy DON'T have a ton of extra cash laying around, I chose to set my price to simply cover my costs. If you would rather me not take the time to manually fold, stuff, and stamp over 1,000 letters per week to those on my site, OR if you think I'm being too nice for sending out these letters, please let me know, because I spend well over $1,500 per week in postage and printing costs to mail those letters and I had to ignore my 2-year-old son and listen to him cry for my attention for 2 days to do that, just so I could give you an opportunity to salvage what you can of your reputation. Hell, that money could be given to my employees as raises because they all work their ass off for me and put up with a LOT of pissed off people calling up and cussing them out and threatening them (which in itself is a crime) simply because they jump to the conclusion that I'm "blackmailing" them.

In conclusion, Nightmare, my tone in this post is as such because it's obvious that you want to talk trash about my company, and it's apparent that you either don't understand what our purpose is and are deciding to not take us seriously.

So, Nightmare, is BlabberMouth Kansas City legit?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    Haha so far I've found 3 people I know on there.

Edit: Holy shit I just keep finding them. Most these people I haven't seen in years and years.
    MountainDew- if you like the mugs that are on there now, wait until you see the ones that I'm uploading this week... I've almost pissed my pants laughing at some of these mugshots. I've got about 700 people that I haven't had time to post yet, so I'll have a nice big update this week.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Our Mission:

To deter crime and illegal actions of people by identifying them and sarcastically glorifying them and their criminals actions to their neighbors and the public!
    Our Purpose & Why We're Being "Jerks":

In the last 20 years, the American society has evolved into a "cyber-information" based culture, with people gathering much of their knowledge and news about people from websites such as Facebook.com, CNN.com, TMZ.com, or Wikipedia. People are fascinated about Charlie Sheen's latest drug binder, the story behind Michael Jackson's child molestation accusations, or Lindsay Lohan's latest alcohol/cocaine-induced fiasco. Most parents today could tell you more about Justin Bieber than they can about their own next-door neighbor, let alone the people living down the street from them and their children.

However, when it comes to knowing the basic facts about those living around them, like the drug dealer growing marijuana in their basement 5 houses up from you, the child molester that lives across the street that's eyeing your 12-year old boy playing basketball in the street, or your very own next-door neighbor that won't admit that they have a drinking problem, yet can't hold a steady job and keeps getting arrested for Driving Under the Influence, American's are truly naive!
    The FBI has released that between June 2010 and June 2011, there were 11.8 MILLION people admitted to local jails in the United States, of which, 83% were released!! THERE IS LITERALLY 1 ARREST FOR EVERY 5 PEOPLE MADE IN THE U.S. EVERY YEAR!!! Most of these people were able to have their charges reduced by having their charges reduced, or being placed on diversion or probation, while others simply plead guilty. By doing this, these criminals simply had to do what they were ordered to do by the judge, submit to random drug tests, and their problem would simply "go away"... however, the majority of these individuals go on to be Second, Third and even Fourth-Time Offenders because they were allowed to continue with their wreck-less behavior and no lesson was learned from their experience with the Criminal Justice System.

Is this type of "punishment" likely to deter someone from going out and getting behind the wheel intoxicated again? Probably not... so that's where we step in! BlabberMouth believes that if there was a true deterrent that would affect something much more personable to these people, such as their reputation and relationships with their neighbors, family members, co-workers, landlords, and even their employer that exposed their "dirty secret", then we might just be able to keep them from T-boning a family and killing everyone in their minivan while driving drunk!

IF THE SERVICES AND PRODUCTS THAT BLABBERMOUTH HAS TO OFFER TO THE COMMUNITY SAVES THE LIVES OF THAT FAMILY BY CAUSING THIS PERSON TO CALL HIS/HER SPOUSE, A FRIEND, OR EVEN A TAXI AFTER THEY'VE HAD A LITTLE BIT TOO MUCH TO DRINK, FOR FEAR OF US BEING HIRED BY YOU TO DELIBERATELY TELLING THEIR NEIGHBORS AND THE CITY AT-LARGE, THEN BLABBERMOUTH WILL HAVE ACCOMPLISHED IT'S PURPOSE!
    How We're Different:

BlabberMouth is a locally based business in the Kansas City area (Overland Park to be exact). We are two guys that are married with children, seeking to make a difference in the community, and a better place for our children to grow up in! Unlike the unethical "Mugshot Industry" websites that are based out of Texas or Florida, and dig back into the archives of police departments across the country in the hopes of "getting rich quick" by putting people's pictures up online from 5-10 years ago, and then charging over $400 to remove them, we hope to make a positive impact on the Kansas City community by pulling the "Mugshot Industry" out of the cyber world and establishing it in the real world, thereby forcing people who have been arrested to deal with this event in their life in a non-cyber way. We are essentially separating ourselves from the "Mugshot Industry" and forming the “In-Your-Face” industry, with the goal of educating the public on the criminal activities going on in their neighborhood and to deter criminal action from happening... and if we can have some fun while accomplishing our goals, then why not, right?
    The Process & What We Offer (for now... check out our "Coming Soon" page!):

When someone get's released from the Johnson, Douglas or Wyandotte County jails, we send a letter to their address on file with the jails, notifying them that they have a profile on our website. If these people are First-Time Offenders (or Second, depending on the charge) , and have not been charged with a felony or anything that falls into the following: Murder, Child Abuse or Endangerment, Child Pornography, Rape, Sodomy, Manslaughter (Felonious), Driving Under The Influence (3rd Offense or Higher), or Drug Trafficking, then we will give them 10 days from the date that we mail that letter to pay us for our "Reputation Repair Service" to remove their profile from our site. After these 10 days have passed, and if they have not been removed from out site, then ANYONE can hire us for as little as $4.99 to go to these criminal's neighborhood's and post flyers on their neighbor's doors that that person has been arrested!
    Our Plea:

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

BlabberMouth wants to make as much of a positive impact on the Kansas City community as possible! When you hire us to tell these criminal's neighbors about their arrest, YOU'LL be making a difference in the community! By hiring us, or donating to BlabberMouth, YOU could be sparing the life of that family in the minivan that is going to be killed because someone decides to make a blatant disregard for the lives of others and drives drunk, or you could be helping someone hit "rock bottom" so that they will seek the help that they need for their alcohol or drug addiction problem! The possibilities about what our services can do, and the lives that we can save are endless!
    Contact Us:

BlabberMouth Kansas City
    P.O. Box 860313
    Shawnee, KS 66286
    (913) 888-BLAB
    (913) 888-2522

Media Inquiries can call us or contact us via e-mail at: media@blabbermouthkc.com

Owner & Founder:
    Radley Michaels radley@blabbermouthkc.com

Owner & Co-Founder:
    Jason Matthews theshow@blabbermouthkc.com

Like! us on FaceBook: www.facebook.com/BlabberMouthKC

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Sadly, this is probably not against the law. Its probably legal to keep your arrest records and mugshot on their site, and they seem to be providing you an option to "opt out" by paying $200. I went to the site, they have various plans where you can pay different amounts to have varying amounts of info taken down. I saw one option that gets your profile taken down if you do 180 hours of community service. Kind of reminds me of those private companies that setup radars and send out speeding tickets, threatening to put it on your credit report if you dont pay. Scummy for sure.

Load Metric
    Is it legal to take out a life insurance policy on a stranger?
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Load Metric
    haven't read whole thread but fucking with hardened criminals like this seems like an excellent idea

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    "Nightmare, I'm the owner of BlabberMouth, and I'm sure as hell legit. I will assume that it was yourself that was arrested and received a letter from my company, because I personally mailed out the first batch Friday night and people started receiving them Saturday, and since you posted this Saturday evening, either you, a friend or family member was the recipient of that letter... I know word spreads fast, but it doesn't spread THAT fast (again, I'm going to assume it was you, so my post will be directed to you- if it was someone that you know, feel free to substitue their name in).

I can't possibly be the only one that was picturing jsearls while reading this.

Load Metric
    In before AnonOp.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    haven't read whole thread but fucking with hardened criminals like this seems like an excellent idea
    I was thinking it was some jerkoff hiding anonymously behind the computer, but when I saw the personal info posted I said to myself this has to be the dumbest mfer on the planet.

Only a matter of time before someone tracks him down , and the list of possible suspects will be oh so long.

He will get his.

Thread Information