Thread: Auto Insurance

Bronze
    Load Metric

Auto Insurance

What Company would you recommend in purchasing auto insurance? Any good and/or bad experiences with them?

Load Metric
    geico my nigga

Load Metric
    Imo progresive is the best, a little pricey but their customer service is on point.
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintjewlips View Post
    Imo progresive is the best, a little pricey but their customer service is on point.
    You could not be more wrong on both of your points.

Load Metric
    Major companies id say geico and Cincinnati ins co. State Farm and Allstate are ok too. Avoid progresssive at all costs. Liberty mutual too.

Load Metric
    Buy uninsured/under insured coverage. U are fucked if you get run over by anyone other than a Ups truck etc.

Comments

Tellafriend: This

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintjewlips View Post
    You could not be more wrong on both of your points.

I said IMO ftr...
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I used to think that the company didn't matter, only the rates. Then I dealt with Mercury after an accident, and they were lol bad. I didn't have any dispute. They fully agreed upon what to do, but literally took a month to do it, due to tons of incompetence which I won't even bother enumerating.

I would suggest shopping around with all companies, including the crappy ones. If you get a huge discount with a crappy one, go with it. If they're semi-close, go with the cheapest better-rated company.

Don't sign up for any extras like rental car protection or medical payments. Those are -EV.

After a year or two, try shopping around again. Your car will be less valuable and cheaper to insure, but your rates will NEVER go down with your existing company. It's sometimes beneficial to keep jumping companies.

I would also suggest getting the amount of coverage to suit your assets/income. Buy good coverage for liability if you have assets and/or a decent income. If not, you can go cheaper.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Probably not many people here who own a home or are buying one but if you are it's always best to go through the same home insurance and car insurance place because you get a discount for having multiple policies with the same company.

Their is the group car discount as well for most places so if you have a wife, kid,etc. who have a vehicle then this is good.

I live alone but when I had two cars one I kept as storage paying like $20 a month to sit in my driveway I got a 20 to 25% discount for having multiple cars and it saved me on my actual driving car compared to if I just had that one insured outright.

This is the play if you have the space when you own a really expensive vehicle to get a piece of shit to sit in your drive way as storage and save on the car you do drive.
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 09-12-2017 at 05:30 AM.

Load Metric
    Geico and if you own a home/condo/co-op marry with that. You get one of the cheapest car rates + nice discount on your home insurance too.
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I used to think that the company didn't matter, only the rates. Then I dealt with Mercury after an accident, and they were lol bad. I didn't have any dispute. They fully agreed upon what to do, but literally took a month to do it, due to tons of incompetence which I won't even bother enumerating.

I would suggest shopping around with all companies, including the crappy ones. If you get a huge discount with a crappy one, go with it. If they're semi-close, go with the cheapest better-rated company.

Don't sign up for any extras like rental car protection or medical payments. Those are -EV.

After a year or two, try shopping around again. Your car will be less valuable and cheaper to insure, but your rates will NEVER go down with your existing company. It's sometimes beneficial to keep jumping companies.

I would also suggest getting the amount of coverage to suit your assets/income. Buy good coverage for liability if you have assets and/or a decent income. If not, you can go cheaper.

Correct except the medpay part. Especially if you don't have good health insurance. It's relatively cheap and will mean a lot after you get in an accident. Get $10k worth of coverage.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Correct except the medpay part. Especially if you don't have good health insurance. It's relatively cheap and will mean a lot after you get in an accident. Get $10k worth of coverage.
    I'm a little confused by this advice.

Why would someone want $10k worth of overage when even the crappiest plans usually have a $6500 out of pocket maximum?

That's why the whole thing seems absurd to me. You're insuring against a relatively small loss (because of these maximums).

I suppose if the out of pocket maximum on your health insurance will break you, then this isn't a bad idea, but I have to imagine overall this is a very -EV addon (much worse than the regular insurance).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, if dealing with an insurance agent, they will try to lie to you regarding rates going down by switching back and forth between companies. Do not listen to them. They just want to keep your business.

This was the conversation I once had with my insurance agent:

Me: "So if there's no further discount you can give me, I'm afraid I have to switch to YYYYY Company, because they're a lot cheaper."

Agent: "Sure they are, but YYYYY has lousy service. You're going to get what you pay for."

Me: "Not necessarily. I have noticed throughout my lifetime, including recently, that when my car gets older and cheaper to insure, my rates will go down if I sign up for a new company, and never go down if I stay with the existing one."

Agent: "That's simply not true. Our rates are always the same whether you're a new or old customer."

Me: "You can tell me that, but it's incorrect. Because insurance companies will never lower your rates, figuring customers are happy enough if their rates don't go up!"

Agent: "But we have other increased costs, so that's why we can't do that."

Me: "You're not going to convince me of this. I've been buying insurance since the 1980s. I've seen the way it works. It's no different today. In fact, if I switch to YYYYY for a year, then call up as a new customer and switch back to your ZZZZZ Insurance, I will get a better rate than if I had never left!"

Agent: "You won't, that's not true. I think you are making a lot of incorrect assumptions."

Me: "Well, I'm going to take my chanches. My entire lifetime experience with this tells me otherwise."

Agent: "Look, you don't want to switch to YYYYY. You will be sorry if you get in an accident during that year. Please reconsider...."

Anyway the bottom line is that, unless you're saving money through a home/auto bundle (which you should also shop around), jumping companies every 1-2 years is often the right play.

Load Metric

I'm a little confused by this advice.

Why would someone want $10k worth of overage when even the crappiest plans usually have a $6500 out of pocket maximum?

That's why the whole thing seems absurd to me. You're insuring against a relatively small loss (because of these maximums).

I suppose if the out of pocket maximum on your health insurance will break you, then this isn't a bad idea, but I have to imagine overall this is a very -EV addon (much worse than the regular insurance).
    There is no deductible on medpay. None. It's dollar for dollar rebusrmenet. So I'm not sure what you are referring to?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    geico my nigga
    My life advice is this. Find an independent insurance agency with the intention that this will be a long term partnership.

Have them justify their decisions but do it in a respectful way - as if you are only curious about the process.

Over the years I have been involved in some situations and claims that haven't been black and white. I have posted a few.

I posted this one. Daughter was in Vegas for well over a year driving with Mass plates and insurance. She totaled her car and wrecked a Mercedes 500. At fault.

This was my bad for not paying attention. I stay out of my kids business. She prolly didn't want to upset the free ride she was getting from me as I was carrying her.

I thought I might get fucked huge. I thought I might eat this. I call my insurance agent and eventually it all went away. The independent agent even offered to the carrier that she was partially to blame. She took a bullet for the team. The agent had more purchasing power than I do.

I give the independent agent all my business and have had other sketchy situations and have never had to work to resolve them.

I now have a claim in Naples. My lania (pool cage) got completely smoked. Made out alright otherwise. I promise you I will make very few calls to get this repaired and closed out.

Even if you feel you might save a few dollars up front I guarantee you I win in the long run.

You are young and have the opportunity to build your team. One of my strongest convictions about business is this, take care of your contractors and they will take care of you. This is immutable.

Comments

Tellafriend: Life lessons on your bad beats.

Load Metric
    Yeah Sal that's a great story and all but were gonna need pics of this stripper daughter of yours to confirm the authenticity

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    Yeah Sal that's a great story and all but were gonna need pics of this stripper daughter of yours to confirm the authenticity
    He's got a point.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    He's got a point.
    Great Vegas pic imo.

Lew is holding original - negotiations are pending

Name:  IMG_0317.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  133.0 KB

Comments

Tellafriend: Hot

Thread Information