Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SDouble View Post
    looks like a good laptop and it's cheap

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Insp...shed/395498933
    Terrible, no SSD
    Slava Ukraini!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The overall takeaway here is that you want an SSD drive and a 1920x1080 display. That's something everyone has agreed upon.

Beyond that, you've seen the discussion/debate/trolling, and it's pretty much your own judgment call regarding your needs.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    I am still trying to figure out why anyone would want to use a five year old computer, or phone, or...
    Because it's a pain in the ass to switch computers.

I wouldn't buy a 5-year-old computer.

The typical computer user is happy to stay on the computer he's familiar with, until it either becomes obsolete or has impactful performance issues.

Again, if the OP is cool with switching computers in 2 years, by all means buy the $500 piece of shit. It's really up to him.

Two hours tops if you keep your shit backed up, and when you are done you don't have to put up with the "K" sticking because all the cheetos crumbs in the keyboard.

I would also be willing to bet that there is more than 4 hours cumulative of you bitching about your old computer in the radio archives

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SDouble View Post
    looks like a good laptop and it's cheap

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Insp...shed/395498933
    1.8ghz? lol

refurbished? even bigger LOL

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I also have a macbook pro retina I use at home, love it, feels very well put together.Would buy again
    At work I use a Lenovo X270, just as good but different.

Cheap laptop has a flexy keyboard terrible feel pushing the keys, crappy touchpad.
    Creaky noises folding or opening it.
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric

Heat is an enemy of electronics. Dust inside of the laptop case will cause the entire assembly to heat up, causing performance issues. In addition, some types of capacitors decay over time. The micro-wires connecting the processor's circuit can also decay over time, due to heat and usage.

Processors and RAM have even been shown to develop tiny defects over time which can actually effect performance.

Once again you have absolutely no clue about what you pretend to know.

I am fully understanding the user here, especially because his needs are similar to mine. That's why I'm telling him what to get in order to have a quality computer with enough space, and you're telling an admitted computer novice to hassle with external drives or read a Reddit on how to build his own PC. LOL

You're also the same guy who told me it would take someone "5 minutes" to install SSL support on a vBulletin forum.

Regarding me sucking at poker, let me know when you want to compare lifetime results. I'll even take out my two big tournament hits from 2005, and my results will still blow yours away. You remind me of the kids on 2+2 who can't beat $1/$2 NL but constantly post about how people who have won millions in poker are "awful".
    I know you are fucking hopeless when it comes to this but I will respond.

You are suggesting that there is hardware degradation in a computer over time of such magnitude that a user playing poker on a windows machine will notice it. This is an embarrassment to whatever college diploma you printed on your daisywheel printer. There is no way you believe this, you are just arguing to mislead others. Are you really playing the an electrical engineer measuring in 1000's of nanoseconds might be able to measure a degradation card?

I suggested he ask his question in a reddit sub where idiots like you are less likely to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Because it's a pain in the ass to switch computers.

I wouldn't buy a 5-year-old computer.

The typical computer user is happy to stay on the computer he's familiar with, until it either becomes obsolete or has impactful performance issues.

Again, if the OP is cool with switching computers in 2 years, by all means buy the $500 piece of shit. It's really up to him.

Two hours tops if you keep your shit backed up, and when you are done you don't have to put up with the "K" sticking because all the cheetos crumbs in the keyboard.

I would also be willing to bet that there is more than 4 hours cumulative of you bitching about your old computer in the radio archives
    Two hours? Maybe if you don't use your computer for anything but web browsing and typing up epic posts on MS Word Lockdown.

This isn't 1986, where you just back up your computer onto 20 floppies and can easily restore an exact copy on the new computer's hard drive.

Many software installations don't move from computer-to-computer easily. And then there's something to be said for starting fresh and not moving all of the bloat from the old computer to the new one.

BTW, the keyboard issues I had were a hardware defect, and not my doing. That was my one complaint about this computer.

Doesn't surprise me that the guy who switches states and major life projects every 3 months is advocating the theory that moving is not a big issue.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

Heat is an enemy of electronics. Dust inside of the laptop case will cause the entire assembly to heat up, causing performance issues. In addition, some types of capacitors decay over time. The micro-wires connecting the processor's circuit can also decay over time, due to heat and usage.

Processors and RAM have even been shown to develop tiny defects over time which can actually effect performance.

I am fully understanding the user here, especially because his needs are similar to mine. That's why I'm telling him what to get in order to have a quality computer with enough space, and you're telling an admitted computer novice to hassle with external drives or read a Reddit on how to build his own PC. LOL

You're also the same guy who told me it would take someone "5 minutes" to install SSL support on a vBulletin forum.

Regarding me sucking at poker, let me know when you want to compare lifetime results. I'll even take out my two big tournament hits from 2005, and my results will still blow yours away. You remind me of the kids on 2+2 who can't beat $1/$2 NL but constantly post about how people who have won millions in poker are "awful".

You are suggesting that there is hardware degradation in a computer over time of such magnitude that a user playing poker on a windows machine will notice it. This is an embarrassment to whatever college diploma you printed on your daisywheel printer. There is no way you believe this, you are just arguing to mislead others. Are you really playing the an electrical engineer measuring in 1000's of nanoseconds might be able to measure a degradation card?

I suggested he ask his question in a reddit sub where idiots like you are less likely to respond.
    Not really sure what is happening but a lot of non ssd drives gets shit over time, not talking about defragging it, something physical
    Slava Ukraini!

Banned
    Load Metric

Two hours? Maybe if you don't use your computer for anything but web browsing and typing up epic posts on MS Word Lockdown.

This isn't 1986, where you just back up your computer onto 20 floppies and can easily restore an exact copy on the new computer's hard drive.

Many software installations don't move from computer-to-computer easily. And then there's something to be said for starting fresh and not moving all of the bloat from the old computer to the new one.

BTW, the keyboard issues I had were a hardware defect, and not my doing. That was my one complaint about this computer.

Doesn't surprise me that the guy who switches states and major life projects every 3 months is advocating the theory that moving is not a big issue.

I run 3 businesses and website off my laptop, and I back up every night to an external HD. Maybe we should just postpone this discussion until your period is finished.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

If he's using a machine to where it's still good enough after degradation to run online poker smoothly, then he won't notice it.

If he's using a crap machine which was barely good enough on Day 1 to do the job, then yes, he will.

We're not talking about nanoseconds here. While the physical degradation is not noticeable to the human eye for the most part, it can very much affect the performance.

This isn't discussed very often, because performance issues on older computers are usually blamed on hard drive issues, Windows corruption, bloatware, etc. But hardware degradation, especially on frequently used computers, is a real thing.

Funny how you started out denying that such degradation exists, and then when I made you look foolish by posting a high-level technical summary of some of these occurrences, now you're trying to argue that it's too small for the average user to notice. Backpedal much?

Sorry that you won't just accept that you gave crap advice which doesn't apply well to the user asking it, and instead are going the route of trolling me for simply trying to help.

If someone on this forum needs advice about southern Ontario, you're probably the man to consult. When it comes to everything else, I find that you're best ignored.

Comments

Deal: There is no hardware degradation over time. You are FAKE NEWS

Load Metric
    On a side note Druff, when will you release Lewfather?
    Boy needs us
    Slava Ukraini!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I run 3 businesses and website off my laptop, and I back up every night to an external HD. Maybe we should just postpone this discussion until your period is finished.
    I don't see how this changes anything I wrote above.

Good for you for being diligent with backing up your data, I guess. But that doesn't really help you much regarding the ease of moving computers. It helps you prevent the situation of, "Oh fuck, look at all of the work I did, and it's gone forever".

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    I embarrassingly know jack shit about computers so looking for some laptop advice from anybody who knows about computers...

have a shitty HP laptop right now and it keeps choking on itself so looking to upgrade...

I'm looking for something that can run bovada/ACR/my HUD/hold em manager and thinkorswim (trading platform) at the same time without running really slowly...

right now I have 6GB of RAM and an intel core i3-4030U 1.90 GHz processor...I think that's what I need to focus on when looking for computing power, but again not sure...if I'm correct that these are the main things I need to look at what kinda size RAM/processor would I need to be able to run all those programs above smoothly? don't need some super high end gaming laptop, but would like something that's functional even if it means not going in and picking out the cheapest one and upgrading every couple of years...

would prefer to spend around $500, but if I need to spend more to get something that's functional and won't cause me to fucking tilt when shit starts to slow down I'll do it...

thanks in advance for any help...

we riffed briefly in PM about this and i suggested you start this thread but forgot that the loudest voices are often the narrowest opinions. so.

your bottlenecks are going to be video card performance and memory. you want a large screen, 15" i expect, maybe 17" if youre not concerned about being mobile. if you get a mid-tier or worse video card, the resolution is going to keep you from having all your windows opened and tiled. so think GTX 1060 or better video card if you want to never worry about taxing it.

you also want 12gb of ram at least if youre going to be running a trading platform on the same CPU as notoriously bloated trashware like HUDs and online poker clients, all of which have memory leaks or are java (gross and gross).

disk IO isnt your concern so really id look for something with a 500g or better removable internal hard drive and pick up a 1tb external usb drive to back up to when the internal starts showing its balls after a few years.

again im going to stop short of advising specific models because really, thats not my area of expertise and i take your money/investment seriously, but ive heard enough people swear by thinkpads to say its a very safe play if you can come within striking distance of the performance standards ive described.

Comments

Dan Druff: good point about the memory leaks, and very true

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: Premium content as usual
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    I embarrassingly know jack shit about computers so looking for some laptop advice from anybody who knows about computers...

have a shitty HP laptop right now and it keeps choking on itself so looking to upgrade...

I'm looking for something that can run bovada/ACR/my HUD/hold em manager and thinkorswim (trading platform) at the same time without running really slowly...

right now I have 6GB of RAM and an intel core i3-4030U 1.90 GHz processor...I think that's what I need to focus on when looking for computing power, but again not sure...if I'm correct that these are the main things I need to look at what kinda size RAM/processor would I need to be able to run all those programs above smoothly? don't need some super high end gaming laptop, but would like something that's functional even if it means not going in and picking out the cheapest one and upgrading every couple of years...

would prefer to spend around $500, but if I need to spend more to get something that's functional and won't cause me to fucking tilt when shit starts to slow down I'll do it...

thanks in advance for any help...

we riffed briefly in PM about this and i suggested you start this thread but forgot that the loudest voices are often the narrowest opinions. so.

your bottlenecks are going to be video card performance and memory. you want a large screen, 15" i expect, maybe 17" if youre not concerned about being mobile. if you get a mid-tier or worse video card, the resolution is going to keep you from having all your windows opened and tiled. so think GTX 1060 or better video card if you want to never worry about taxing it.

you also want 12gb of ram at least if youre going to be running a trading platform on the same CPU as notoriously bloated trashware like HUDs and online poker clients, all of which have memory leaks or are java (gross and gross).

disk IO isnt your concern so really id look for something with a 500g or better removable internal hard drive and pick up a 1tb external usb drive to back up to when the internal starts showing its balls after a few years.

again im going to stop short of advising specific models because really, thats not my area of expertise and i take your money/investment seriously, but ive heard enough people swear by thinkpads to say its a very safe play if you can come within striking distance of the performance standards ive described.
    yeah I think the Acer I posted on page 1 from amazon looks to be pretty good as far as what everybody was talking about...has the memory, SSD, decent enough screensize, and the video card you mentioned above...its about a grand, which blows, but i'll fucking suck it up and deal with it...

Load Metric
    Also you won't get a very good machine for $500.

I would look to spend $1000, and then plan to hold onto it for at least a few years.

I stretch about 5-6 years out of my laptops typically, but I am also a cheap Jew, and I'm good at maintaining the OS to where it's virus/malware/bloat-free, which can be tough to do if you're not good at that sort of thing.
    My laptop is 8 years old and doing great though I had to replace one of the HDs with a SSD. Core i7 with 8 GB RAM no performance issues at all.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric

yeah I think the Acer I posted on page 1 from amazon looks to be pretty good as far as what everybody was talking about...has the memory, SSD, decent enough screensize, and the video card you mentioned above...its about a grand, which blows, but i'll fucking suck it up and deal with it...

a grand is a big investment but youre getting a machine that isnt likely going to go tits up in the middle of a big trade or big pot.

zap's advice re: virtualbox was excellent btw, albeit a bit advanced for your comfort zone. but thats a concept youll want to ease yourself into.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Tits Up Rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I disagree with Druff about refurbs, buying a new laptop is like buying a new car. Unless it's a macbook, it will be worth like 1/4 of what you paid in a year. They are not worth fixing, they are disposable in 2017. I bought a Latitude e6530 with i5 and 8GB ram at the beginning of the year for 230 dollars. If the mobo fries tomorrow I can throw it away and buy another one and STILL have more money and a nicer laptop than I would have if I bought a new, shoddily constructed Walmart bargain computer

Comments

Deal: but for a guy like druff, who doesn't know computers, perhaps a new one is better for him. The hardware will run at full speed!

Platinum
    Load Metric

a grand is a big investment but youre getting a machine that isnt likely going to go tits up in the middle of a big trade or big pot.

zap's advice re: virtualbox was excellent btw, albeit a bit advanced for your comfort zone. but thats a concept youll want to ease yourself into.
    couldn't agree more...the extra $500 that i'm going to spend is well worth the reduced chance at tilt...figure going on full blown monkey tilt is at least a $200-400 minimum loss per occurrence so might the fuck as well spend the money on something instead of giving it away...

Load Metric
    Agree that refurbs get a bad name.

Deal: if you ever need good refurb in Ottawa suggest the following two options

http://www.nmicrovip.ca/ They have pickup depot here.

http://kanatacomputers.ca/ more sketchy (guy doesn;t charge tax) but you won't find cheaper products in Canada and have had good experiences.

Comments

Deal: nmicrovip rep. posted a link from there ITT

Thread Information