Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop Question

Platinum
    Load Metric

New Laptop Question

I embarrassingly know jack shit about computers so looking for some laptop advice from anybody who knows about computers...

have a shitty HP laptop right now and it keeps choking on itself so looking to upgrade...

I'm looking for something that can run bovada/ACR/my HUD/hold em manager and thinkorswim (trading platform) at the same time without running really slowly...

right now I have 6GB of RAM and an intel core i3-4030U 1.90 GHz processor...I think that's what I need to focus on when looking for computing power, but again not sure...if I'm correct that these are the main things I need to look at what kinda size RAM/processor would I need to be able to run all those programs above smoothly? don't need some super high end gaming laptop, but would like something that's functional even if it means not going in and picking out the cheapest one and upgrading every couple of years...

would prefer to spend around $500, but if I need to spend more to get something that's functional and won't cause me to fucking tilt when shit starts to slow down I'll do it...

thanks in advance for any help...

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    8GB ram
    SSD drive
    Any processor will do

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Advice Rep
    Slava Ukraini!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    8GB ram
    SSD drive
    Any processor will do
    Agree on the SSD drive. That's huge these days. Ideally get a smallish SSD drive (250-500 GB) and then a second non-SSD drive which is larger. Such a setup is perfect to store things such as movies which don't need to be accessed quickly. However, that is getting harder to find these days.

I feel you should go for 16GB ram instead of 8. Or at least 12 at minimum. RAM is a huge factor in computer performance nowadays.

Disagree regarding "any processor will do". I would advise staying away from the cheaper/lower-end processors. You don't need the very top of the line (often this is a price trap, aimed at people who always insist upon having the best -- which will no longer be the best a few months from now), but you want a processor which is going to get the job done 2 years from now.

Make sure you have at least 2 USB ports. An HDMI out port will be nice to have. An integrated DVD drive is also nice to have.

I prefer to buy my laptops from a place online where I can partially configure it (such as HP), so I'm not paying for features I don't need, and I always get the features I want. The downside is that the support is shit and the repair process takes 2 weeks.

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: For the advice in this thread

Platinum
    Load Metric
    8GB ram
    SSD drive
    Any processor will do
    cool thanks...one follow up what is an SSD drive?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also you won't get a very good machine for $500.

I would look to spend $1000, and then plan to hold onto it for at least a few years.

I stretch about 5-6 years out of my laptops typically, but I am also a cheap Jew, and I'm good at maintaining the OS to where it's virus/malware/bloat-free, which can be tough to do if you're not good at that sort of thing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    8GB ram
    SSD drive
    Any processor will do
    Just make sure you defragment it as soon you get your new laptop.

Load Metric
    8GB ram
    SSD drive
    Any processor will do
    Its a type of hard drive, no spinning discs, it is A LOT faster, biggest performance improvement on any computer.
    Solid State Drive

I5 prosessor will be more than enough for your needs.

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: More Advice Rep
    Slava Ukraini!

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I would look to spend $1000, and then plan to hold onto it for at least a few years.

I stretch about 5-6 years out of my laptops typically, but I am also a cheap Jew, and I'm good at maintaining the OS to where it's virus/malware/bloat-free, which can be tough to do if you're not good at that sort of thing.
    yeah I was kinda figuring I might be fucked in that regard...this HP has been good for the couple of years I had it and it was only like $250-300...was trying to channel my inner cheap jew, but thought I might be shit outta luck and would have to spend around a grand for a decent one...

Platinum
    Load Metric

Its a type of hard drive, no spinning discs, it is A LOT faster, biggest performance improvement on any computer.
    Solid State Drive

I5 prosessor will be more than enough for your needs.
    awesome, thanks a bunch...

Load Metric
    Slava Ukraini!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    $846.75 with free shipping

Lenovo Thinkpad E570: i7-7500U, 16GB DDR4, FHD IPS, GTX950M 2GB, 256GB PCIe SSD, DVD-RW, Win10 Pro

https://slickdeals.net/f/10542352-le...?src=catpagev2

Comments

Load Metric

you have any good free anti-virus software recommendations? Or anything else you use to maintain a clean system

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post

Lenovo Thinkpad E570: i7-7500U, 16GB DDR4, FHD IPS, GTX950M 2GB, 256GB PCIe SSD, DVD-RW, Win10 Pro

this doesn't look too damn bad...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post

you have any good free anti-virus software recommendations? Or anything else you use to maintain a clean system
    The problem with anti-virus software is that it tends to stay behind the curve. It's good at stopping old threats, but anything new will get by it.

That's not to say it's bad to have an anti-virus program, but it's not going to completely save you.

If you're technical enough, you can get something like the "Process Explorer" (free software) and inspect running processes every so often to make sure you don't spot something which shouldn't be there.

Regarding basic advice to keep your system clean:

1) Every so often, go to Windows "Add or Remove Programs" and scroll down the list of installed programs. Select to have it list in descending order by install date. Any program you don't recognize, remove, unless it's from a trusted company like Microsoft. If there's any doubt, google the program and see if it's something you're likely to need or want to use.

2) Some programs start automatically when you turn on the computer, and will bog it down. Follow the advice in this link to go through the list of programs and disable the auto-starting of unnecessary ones.

3) NEVER download "video players" or other software suggested by websites in order to make your browsing experience better or more functional. Often you will go to a website to see some content, and it will claim you need a driver or player in order to view it. Don't fall for it.

4) NEVER download "installer programs" or "download managers" from shady sites. So if you're trying to download some piece of (maybe pirated) software you want, and the website you're visiting says you need an installer program, close it.

5) Do not ever open e-mail attachments unless you're expecting them, or unless you're 100% sure that a trusted person really sent it to you. Even if your mom sends you a message saying, "Hey check this out", don't open it, because her e-mail may be hijacked. However, if your mom sends you a message saying, "Here's a picture of your sister which I mentioned eariler", and you really had that conversation, obviously you can open it.

6) When installing new programs, don't just lazily do the "recommended configuration". Go into advanced mode and uncheck any other programs it wants to install along with the one you want.

7) If you are running into a virus/malware situation, google the symptoms and you will often find a description of it and how to remove it. However, make sure you download any "fixer" programs from trusted sources. I prefer to read how to fix it and do it manually.

Comments

John Stamos: ty sir, great info

HoodedN: Rainman

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FR1GHT View Post

This is a good deal EXCEPT you only get a 256 GB hard drive, which is small.

If you don't download or install much, I guess this will be fine, but boy I hate the idea of only having 256 GB coming into late 2017.

I don't know why so many manufacturers have gotten away from the dual drive setup, which is ideal. I guess because it makes the laptop heavier, but honestly who gives a shit about that unless you're constantly carrying it around.

Platinum
    Load Metric

This is a good deal EXCEPT you only get a 256 GB hard drive, which is small.

If you don't download or install much, I guess this will be fine, but boy I hate the idea of only having 256 GB coming into late 2017.

I don't know why so many manufacturers have gotten away from the dual drive setup, which is ideal. I guess because it makes the laptop heavier, but honestly who gives a shit about that unless you're constantly carrying it around.
    shit thought there was another hard drive and the 256 SSD was just another one...ill have to make sure when I'm pricing this shit out that it has both the SSD and regular HD...

Load Metric
    we are pretty much in the same boat, as in knowing very little about computers. For me i bought a Apple mac book and it is very simple to use, i guess it is a bit expensive but we have 3 mac book air, 1 mac book pro and 1 mac book plus 4 iPhones and they all work fine with little to no problems. We do have a tec who comes by every month or two and assists with what ever issues we might have. some how they all are connected a bit in some way and back up to iCloud including email through apple icloud as well. I haven't done the math as to how much this all cost (probably way to much) but we have never had viruses or melt down yet.
    hope this helps

Comments

all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    we are pretty much in the same boat, as in knowing very little about computers. For me i bought a Apple mac book and it is very simple to use, i guess it is a bit expensive but we have 3 mac book air, 1 mac book pro and 1 mac book plus 4 iPhones and they all work fine with little to no problems. We do have a tec who comes by every month or two and assists with what ever issues we might have. some how they all are connected a bit in some way and back up to iCloud including email through apple icloud as well. I haven't done the math as to how much this all cost (probably way to much) but we have never had viruses or melt down yet.
    hope this helps
    thanks man, appreciate it...I was definitely thinking about a mac, but the only thing is that ACR is supposedly is really glitchy on macs so have to stick to a PC...if I bought a mac and ACR started to shit itself I would lose my fucking mind...

Platinum
    Load Metric
    found this one while digging on amazon...let me know if I'm off on this one...

think it has all you guys suggested:
    *intel i5
    *16GB RAM
    *256GB SSD
    *1TB HD

$950 is a little bit of a bitch, but I can keep my HP to fuck around on the internet and hopefully if I keep the new computer for just poker/trading I should be ok...

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-i5...Samsung%7CAcer

Load Metric
    found this one while digging on amazon...let me know if I'm off on this one...

think it has all you guys suggested:
    *intel i5
    *16GB RAM
    *256GB SSD
    *1TB HD

$950 is a little bit of a bitch, but I can keep my HP to fuck around on the internet and hopefully if I keep the new computer for just poker/trading I should be ok...

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Nitro-i5...Samsung%7CAcer
    this is pretty good...

Thread Information