Thread: Welcome to 2002: Rockstar Games sued for usage of "Miss Cleo" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Welcome to 2002: Rockstar Games sued for usage of "Miss Cleo" in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

This story seems like it should be from 2002, but it's taking place in 2017.

Psychic Readers Network is suing Rockstar Games, the makers of "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" for using Miss Cleo to play a fictionalized Miss Cleo.

Confused yet?

The 2002 game featured a character named "Auntie Poulet", who bore a striking similarity in looks and mannerisms to former Psychic Readers Network spokeswoman "Miss Cleo".

If you remember, Miss Cleo claimed to be a Jamaican psychic, but in reality was an American-born actress named Youree Harris, who died in 2016.

Here is Auntie Poulet in Grand Theft Auto:

Harris did the voice for Auntie Poulet, so it's clear that this was a Miss Cleo ripoff. Since Psychic Friends Network owns the Miss Cleo character, and Harris only played her, they have a right to sue.

But you might wonder why they're suing 15 years after the game's release, and how that's even legal. Shouldn't the statute of limitations be up?

Apparently they claim they can sue because the game is still being sold in "bundle packs", and therefore the profits from the usage of the Miss Cleo character are ongoing.

It's likely that Psychic Readers Network is suing now because they are struggling, and they figured out a way to attempt to squeeze a little more money out of something to stay afloat.

It's likely the suit will be dismissed, though.

Rockstar says, "These claims are entirely meritless and completely ridiculous. We will vigorously defend ourselves with regard to this matter."

Load Metric
    None of their psychics saw this coming?

Comments

MumblesBadly: LOL!

Shizzmoney: lol rep

ftpjesus:
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    None of their psychics saw this coming?
    They apparently had no foresight, during sight, or soon after sight.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    hahah that just reminded me of the days when Magic612 did his live Pokerstars is rigged shows. Whatever that site was I used to troll fat black chicks by pretending they're Miss Cleo. I'd say something like OMG Miss Cleo I'm your biggest fan, can i please get a free psychic reading? I'd try to squeeze in a "ear me now" quote before the ban. I dunno I thought it was funny. ftr not once did they appreciate being recognized as Miss Cleo.

Whatever that site was called it was filled with a bunch of music weirdos. They'd be all serious about their shitty music sort of like DJChaps haha jk chaps.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    This story seems like it should be from 2002, but it's taking place in 2017.

Psychic Readers Network is suing Rockstar Games, the makers of "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" for using Miss Cleo to play a fictionalized Miss Cleo.

Confused yet?

The 2002 game featured a character named "Auntie Poulet", who beared a striking similarity in looks and mannerisms to former Psychic Readers Network spokeswoman "Miss Cleo".

If you remember, Miss Cleo claimed to be a Jamaican psychic, but in reality was an American-born actress named Youree Harris, who died in 2016.

Here is Auntie Poulet in Grand Theft Auto:

Harris did the voice for Auntie Poulet, so it's clear that this was a Miss Cleo ripoff. Since Psychic Friends Network owns the Miss Cleo character, and Harris only played her, they have a right to sue.

But you might wonder why they're suing 15 years after the game's release, and how that's even legal. Shouldn't the statute of limitations be up?

Apparently they claim they can sue because the game is still being sold in "bundle packs", and therefore the profits from the usage of the Miss Cleo character are ongoing.

It's likely that Psychic Readers Network is suing now because they are struggling, and they figured out a way to attempt to squeeze a little more money out of something to stay afloat.

It's likely the suit will be dismissed, though.

Rockstar says, "These claims are entirely meritless and completely ridiculous. We will vigorously defend ourselves with regard to this matter."

Material differences between these characters:
    • Miss Cleo sported dreadlocks/long hair in braids; Auntie Poulet doesn't.
    • Miss Cleo wore a colorful African-style floor-length robe outfit; Auntie Poulet wears a drab cheap-looking dress.
    • Miss Cleo was a pre-middle age attractive-looking woman, possibly in her late 30s/early 40s; Auntie Poulet is an haggish-looking overweight old lady, probably in her late 50s/early 60s.

Verdict for the defense.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Vice City is one of my favorite games and I had no idea that was actually Miss Cleo. Amazing.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Vice City is one of my favorite games and I had no idea that was actually Miss Cleo. Amazing.

It's actually just a cartoon graphic. It is quite real looking though.

Comments

SrslySirius: hehuehehueh

Thread Information