Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic ticket in Alberta -- what is the consequence for not paying?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Traffic ticket in Alberta -- what is the consequence for not paying?

In Banff, there was a particularly nasty speed trap set up near my hotel, where they set the speed limit artificially low on a wide, downhill road (about 25 mph), and then set up a ticketing mill near the bottom. They pulled me over, told me to go to the 'first cone', and then 5 minutes later, nailed someone else and had him go to the 'second cone', etc.

They used laser to catch me. I have a radar detector, but obviously that didn't help here.

I got a ticket for C$253 for going 71 kph (about 45 mph) in a 45 kph zone (about 25 mph).

I tried to google information on Alberta and its reciprocity agreements with other states, and couldn't find anything.

Questions:

1) Can anyone tell me which US states have reciprocity agreements with Alberta? (That is, where I could face consequences in my state for not paying.)

2) In absence of a reciprocity agreement, can my insurance company "see" the ticket? I'm assuming they can't.

3) If there is no reciprocity agreement and I refuse to pay, will Canada put me on a naughty list and refuse to let me enter the country without paying a huge fine?

4) Is there any kind of amnesty program or way to do a trial by mail?

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    You'd have to ask Alberta Haynesworth but I think it's death by a firing squad.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    In Banff, there was a particularly nasty speed trap set up near my hotel, where they set the speed limit artificially low on a wide, downhill road (about 25 mph), and then set up a ticketing mill near the bottom. They pulled me over, told me to go to the 'first cone', and then 5 minutes later, nailed someone else and had him go to the 'second cone', etc.

They used laser to catch me. I have a radar detector, but obviously that didn't help here.

I got a ticket for C$253 for going 71 kph (about 45 mph) in a 45 kph zone (about 25 mph).

I tried to google information on Alberta and its reciprocity agreements with other states, and couldn't find anything.

Questions:

1) Can anyone tell me which US states have reciprocity agreements with Alberta? (That is, where I could face consequences in my state for not paying.)

2) In absence of a reciprocity agreement, can my insurance company "see" the ticket? I'm assuming they can't.

3) If there is no reciprocity agreement and I refuse to pay, will Canada put me on a naughty list and refuse to let me enter the country without paying a huge fine?

4) Is there any kind of amnesty program or way to do a trial by mail?

So had a friend in same situation and he didnt pay the ticket. When he tried to enter the country again years later they had an arrest warrant for him. Just for speeding and not paying the fine. He paid the fine and got it taken care and was allowed to enter the country after but he said it was a huge pain in the ass. Canada doesnt seem to fuck around with these things.

There are so many factors with the state you live in etc and timing of everything but I would personally just pay it. If they catch youyears later, it wont be a huge deal legally but the with fines and penalties it could be over 1500 + and be a huge time suck when all you are trying to do is enjoy vacation.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Speeding on your holiday....shaking head

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

and then trying to angle jew his way out of paying

Load Metric
    Fuck my life. Tuck a buck Swift. Usher Raymond shamed by a whale. And now fucking limitles using holiday in lieu of trip/vacation. Jesus fucking Christ. I know for a fucking fact *no guessing* that Canadians DO NOT call the summer vacation a fucking Holiday like a British fag. Maybe if you take a trip over Christmas or Boxing day but not this. (source- Canadian Radio)

Load Metric
    Only fools pay those tickets.

If you are nearby stop by our national igloo, provide a polite apology, and ticket shall be forgiven.

Load Metric
    It's only $250 just pay the thing and save yourself any worries next time you enter the country.

Saying that I'd imagine you'd be fine entering anywhere other than Alberta but not worth the hassle imo

Load Metric
    Also whats with the 45kph zone? I've never seen a speed limit in Canada that isn't a multiple of 10 (50kph is standard with 40kph in most school zones). Was it some special area?

Load Metric
    if limitles' post is anything other than. "I said it that way to be cute/tilt you." I'm gonna figure out how to start a dielimitlesdie.godaddy.wordpress.hyphen.organism site.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

and then trying to angle jew his way out of paying
    Oh, to be a fly on the corned beef on rye picnic sandwiches.......

Druff: Officer, I can explain, I mean I'm an American, uh, uh,
    what I mean to say is this whole kilometers per hour conversion thing......

Cop: License and registration please.....

Druff: My girlfriend and I and the little fella in the back are Republicans and you can imagine
    the pressure we're under........

Cop: Is the child yours sir?

Druff: Oh yes, yes, yes, Benji say hello to the nice man and show him the
    special wallet you got for your birthday, show him the other Benji.

Cop: Keep the speed down sir, this is Canada, speed limits are posted and taken seriously.
    Ma'am, best of luck to you and the boy

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    School zones are 30 kph over here.
    Then again our children are a lot prettier and all round superior
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    Oh and Druff never go more than 10kph over the limit in Canada unless speed limit is 80kph or higher at that point you are safe driving 20 over.

Load Metric
    Todge on vacation is unsafe at any speed

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: I've missed you/please post more rep

Mintjewlips: Sick Dialogue brahh

nunbeater: lulllllllllllllzzzzzzzzz

Load Metric
    Why not just pay it?

Load Metric
    Should contact the host of 2p2 pokercast (Adam)

Can't remember exact details, but he's gotten a shit load of speeding tickets in Canada - seems to be quite the expert.

Call and leave them a voice mail now that you and Mason are Bffs...can't hurt right?

+1 (702) 799-9949

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Also whats with the 45kph zone? I've never seen a speed limit in Canada that isn't a multiple of 10 (50kph is standard with 40kph in most school zones). Was it some special area?

Oh and Druff never go more than 10kph over the limit in Canada unless speed limit is 80kph or higher at that point you are safe driving 20 over.
    It was 45 kph. Not a special area, other than "special" in the way that it was perfect to hit tourists for BS tickets.

What do you mean by "never" go more than 10kph over? I went 26 kph over in his case, and while the ticket was expensive, nothing beyond that happened. I was under the impression that the magic number was 50 kph over, as that becomes the US equivalent of reckless driving, and you get arrested & have your car impounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    Why not just pay it?
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    It's only $250 just pay the thing and save yourself any worries next time you enter the country.

Saying that I'd imagine you'd be fine entering anywhere other than Alberta but not worth the hassle imo
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    So had a friend in same situation and he didnt pay the ticket. When he tried to enter the country again years later they had an arrest warrant for him. Just for speeding and not paying the fine. He paid the fine and got it taken care and was allowed to enter the country after but he said it was a huge pain in the ass. Canada doesnt seem to fuck around with these things.

There are so many factors with the state you live in etc and timing of everything but I would personally just pay it. If they catch youyears later, it wont be a huge deal legally but the with fines and penalties it could be over 1500 + and be a huge time suck when all you are trying to do is enjoy vacation.

I don't want to just pay it because this was pretty much a legalized scam. Admittedly I was knowingly speeding at various times in Canada, but this was not one of them. This one was a bullshit ticket. They take a big, wide road on a hill, to where it feels completely unnatural to drive anywhere near 45 kph (25 mph). So you just kind of drive down at what feels like a normal speed, and it turns out you're speeding by a wide margin. This was a ticket mill, with cones set up to ticket multiple drivers at once. Anything I can do to beat this awful thing, I want to do (within reason).

With that said, I may end up electing to pay it. It is about $200 US, and it's not worth the risk to fuck myself next time I want to enter Canada. But I want to see if there are any other options.

Load Metric
    todge do you want me to start a gofundme so we can get this ticket paid off ?

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Should contact the host of 2p2 pokercast (Adam)

Can't remember exact details, but he's gotten a shit load of speeding tickets in Canada - seems to be quite the expert.

Call and leave them a voice mail now that you and Mason are Bffs...can't hurt right?

+1 (702) 799-9949
    I can contact Adam directly. He listens to every PFA show, and we are on very good terms.

I will do this. Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post

While you'll likely not find much leniency in any Province, Alberta is considered by many Canadians as our Texas.

Thread Information