Thread: Vacations/ Holidays

Load Metric

Vacations/ Holidays

Serious question, ok, ready?

How the fuck do you fine Americans survive on the shit amount of annual holidays you get (typically)?

I get 30 personal (about 10 public) and I barely survive a year of labour

P.S. going to Helsinki for a music festival tomorrow suckaaaaas

P.P.S. love you all
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    What do Americans normally get? I have 28 days + public holidays.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks Spunk Bucket View Post
    Serious question, ok, ready?

How the fuck do you fine Americans survive on the shit amount of annual holidays you get (typically)?

I get 30 personal (about 10 public) and I barely survive a year of labour

P.S. going to Helsinki for a music festival tomorrow suckaaaaas

P.P.S. love you all
    You hate me, but good thread. We get 15-20 at my company and 8 personal or sick days. Anyone who takes the full amount is either a rain maker or someone who doesn't care about thier bonus. Wiah we had 2x, but we survive and some of us get compensated correctly for this abuse. Our UK counterparts get 30 days + 10.......

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: I don't hate you dude
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by handicapme View Post
    You hate me, but good thread. We get 15-20 at my company and 8 personal or sick days. Anyone who takes the full amount is either a rain maker or someone who doesn't care about thier bonus. Wiah we had 2x, but we survive and some of us get compensated correctly for this abuse. Our UK counterparts get 30 days + 10.......
    My sick days are pretty much unlimited, although I barely take any myself.

I think there is a real culture issue in the states with regards to vacations- it's looked down upon to take a break and it's common knowledge the US has on average the fewest holidays (I think) out of any country, but yet Americans hardly use them because of the culture

This is seriously detrimental to your health and I am bamboozled as to how you do it- countries like France have 35 hour working weeks and the Nordic countries have amazing holidays, especially if you have kids.
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    We give our employees 20 days all inclusive, so Vacation, holidays and sick time. We do allow comp time though, so if someone works 45 hours in a week they get five additional hours of paid time off.

Our staff seems generally favorable of the policy. I would say most people end up actually having 27-30 days off and work 42-44 hours per week.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    We give our employees 20 days all inclusive, so Vacation, holidays and sick time. We do allow comp time though, so if someone works 45 hours in a week they get five additional hours of paid time off.

Our staff seems generally favorable of the policy. I would say most people end up actually having 27-30 days off and work 42-44 hours per week.
    That seems pretty good, but then do people in the workplace not judge those who take the extra days?

This is one of my biggest concerns for moving to live in the US tbh
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Serious question: Do the Finns just stand and stare blank faced at the band or do they actually display a spec of life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I had an absolutely horrendous vacation/sick time policy at my last job. It was 10 days vacation per year, and 3 sick days. Friday after Thanksgiving was NOT a paid holiday, and we didn't get any paid holidays except for the majors (New Years, one President's Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Thursday, and Christmas). You also couldn't roll over extra days. Use them or lose them.

For awhile they weren't enforcing the lol 3 sick days as long as you kept fairly close to it. So one year I had planned a trip using my remaining vacation days in December. My boss called me in to inform me that I was "1.5 days short" on vacation days left, and would have to take no-pay for those days. I told him I was certain that wasn't true, but he showed me that I used 4.5 sick days, so therefore I lost 1.5 from my vacation.

I objected, stating that they never enforced this before, and that I had always believed 3 days was just a guideline. He refused, but I went over his head and got it approved on a 1-time basis.

But seriously... lol at 3 sick days. I quit in 2003. In January 2004, poker player "onlinechamp" wanted to meet me in Vegas, so I told him to come down to rail me in a Bellagio 100/200 (he was staying there). He did, and turned out he had the flu and didn't know it yet. He begged me to drive him to a strip club, so I did, dropped him off, and left. About 2 days later, I came down with a horrendous flu. Without even knowing I was sick, he sent me an apology message, saying that he was very sick and was worried that I "probably caught it" that night.

Anyway, I was bedridden and unable to do anything on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday of that week. I thought about how this would have blown all of my sick days in he firs work week of the year, had I still been at that company.

I do think the combined sick/vacation day policy is probably best, provided enough days are given. That prevents people from abusing sick days. Of course, that also encourages people to come to work sick and infect other people (something I did when I was out of my 3 sick days), so perhaps it's not the best policy.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Serious question: Do the Finns just stand and stare blank faced at the band or do they actually display a spec of life?
    Haha the crowd usually needed a bit of work from the artist to get them going- great if you want to actually listen to the music and not a million teenage girls screaming around you

Fantastic festival, Ryan Adams and especially Frank Ocean were worth the trip alone!!

Comments

big dick: Ryan Adams
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I do think the combined sick/vacation day policy is probably best, provided enough days are given. That prevents people from abusing sick days. Of course, that also encourages people to come to work sick and infect other people (something I did when I was out of my 3 sick days), so perhaps it's not the best policy.
    I think it's complete bs to be honest- as you say it very much encourages people to come in and infect others. As it is too many people come into my work coughing and sneezing, the effect of which is exacerbated by air con.

So if you are really sick for like a week you don't a holiday barely? It's bad enough as it is over there!
    BALLIN'!!

Load Metric
    Dear Mr Witteles,

The purpose of this letter is to emphasize the seriousness of your attendance record (absenteeism) as a forum member/radio host and to reprimand you for failing to meet acceptable attendance standards. Further, you are hereby warned of additional disciplinary action if your attendance does not improve. Because your absences from PFA are occurring so frequently, your attendance cannot be relied on and your services with PFA are of greatly reduced value. Attendance and posting are an essential element of your position.

Your record of frequent absences has placed an undue hardship on PFA.

Effective immediately, no leave will be approved unless it is requested by you at least forty‐eight (48) hours in advance of when it is to be taken. If an emergency occurs, contact me personally by PM, and I will consider the situation on its merits.

Absences for which you present no physician's certificate and are not deemed to be an emergency by me will result in post restriction in the Dodger thread.

You are hereby warned that two unauthorized leaves shall result in mandatory temporary banhammer.

Winter is coming,

Sanlmar

Thread Information