Thread: Issues with Jeep

Load Metric

Issues with Jeep

(Druff's note: I moved 10 posts from the mosquito thread to this separate one)

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

plot twist

sanlmar is actually lew's dad and this pic is the view from the other side of the lew family's lakehouse
    And to learn on a 3rd tier poker forum that I'm a grandfather

If he takes her camping his trust fund will be revoked.

The only other thing I ever asked of him was to adhere to the family motto:

Do as little as possible
    And that unwillingly
    For it is better to incur a slight reprimand
    Than to perform an arduous task
    So far he has stayed on point.

This seems like the right place to ask:
    I have a Ford Explorer w 4 wheel drive. 70,000 miles. Relatively new tires. It sits unused a lot. When I drive over 65mph I get a slight shake in the front end.

Is it possible that the front transaxle has an issue? I was told by a mechanic there is a slight weeping of fluid from there. He said there is a slight bead of fluid that collected under axle. Rather not sink money on this so I put it off.

There is no spotting on the pavement after being parked for a long time.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-02-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    And to learn on a 3rd tier poker forum that I'm a grandfather

If he takes her camping his trust fund will be revoked.

The only other thing I ever asked of him was to adhere to the family motto:

Do as little as possible
    And that unwillingly
    For it is better to incur a slight reprimand
    Than to perform an arduous task
    So far he has stayed on point.

This seems like the right place to ask:
    I have a Ford Explorer w 4 wheel drive. 70,000 miles. Relatively new tires. It sits unused a lot. When I drive over 65mph I get a slight shake in the front end.

Is it possible that the front transaxle has an issue? I was told by a mechanic there is a slight weeping of fluid from there. There is no spotting on the pavement after being parked for a long time.
    Most likely just need your tires balanced, but its entirely possible your tires have flat spotted due to sitting. Typically doesn't happen with passenger car tires, but with some bigger (read: mud/snow/off road) tires, it can be in issue.

Also, one of the most abusive things you can do to a vehicle is to let it sit, unused. Run an errand in it once a week, even if it's only just a mile or two.

Gold
    Load Metric
    PM Option for the leak, if you're so inclined.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    No clue what you mean?

Yeah, it sat so long last summer the battery turned up cold dead and unrecoverable. I can't remember when I got the tires exactly. They are decent sized Wranglers. I hope you're right.

I'll get em balanced.

I am a huge car guy. Not a gear head. I have limited game there. I have often wondered who if anyone you follow on YouTube, Wrench.

Guilty pleasure is Doug DeMuro. He reviews older exotics and other odd cars. Points out weird and unique design features and the like.

Schmee150 and his back story amuses me too.

Almost forgot ChrisFix. Auto detailing and different tips. Lotta stuff you thought you already knew but don't

The Explorer has some aluminum parts like the hood. Fucking Ford never learned how to paint aluminum. Assholes. Know what I mean?

Got a recommendation?

Comments

Prodigal son: This
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-02-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    No clue what you mean?

Yeah, it sat so long last summer the battery turned up cold dead and unrecoverable. I can't remember when I got the tires exactly. They are decent sized Wranglers. I hope you're right.

I'll get em balanced.

I am a huge car guy. Not a gear head. I have limited game there. I have often wondered who if anyone you follow on YouTube, Wrench.

Guilty pleasure is Doug DeMuro. He reviews older exotics and other odd cars. Points out weird and unique design features and the like.

Schmee150 and his back story amuses me too.

Got a recommendation?
    Back in the NWP days, when people were having a side convo in a thread, someone would inevitably chime in with "PM OPTION" meaning take the convo out of the convo, for lack of better phrasing. I'd be happy to dispense advice on your leak privately if you want, and that offer for car advice goes for most of you here, even if we beef normally.

Don't really follow anyone on youtube, and I'm your polar opposite. I'm a mechanic, but I don't consider myself a 'car guy'. I appreciate a fine automobile, but don't get all goggly eyed at a Lambo or Ferrari when it pulls into the shop. Above all, I'm a Jeep / Rock Crawling guy, and mostly follow Ultra 4 racing, and am friends with many of the drivers on the national series. When I watch youtube, it's generally lolstuff or a link someone sends me.

Comments

big dick: .

Load Metric
    Thread so pure. Druff doesn't read forum and the thread woulda turned into page 6 archive without my selfless effort to bump. I'm a damn hero.

Get well soon Druff, yada yada

Guy never responds to me.

Yeah, as soon as I typed I laughed to myself the last thing Wrench is gonna do with his free time is look up car videos.

I bought a new Gator. It's a work vehicle but it has resparked my off road jones. Thing is the nuts. So bulletproof. I used to dirt bike. I see a muddy truck with a bike tied down in the bed and I get a hankering.

Thanks for the PM offer. If you have an additional transaxle thought shoot me a PM. I will respect your time and promise I will act on your suggestion and follow up.

Load Metric

Don't really follow anyone on youtube, and I'm your polar opposite. I'm a mechanic, but I don't consider myself a 'car guy'. I appreciate a fine automobile, but don't get all goggly eyed at a Lambo or Ferrari when it pulls into the shop. Above all, I'm a Jeep / Rock Crawling guy, and mostly follow Ultra 4 racing, and am friends with many of the drivers on the national series. When I watch youtube, it's generally lolstuff or a link someone sends me.
    wrench, i assume you are familiar with the "death wobble" on jeeps?

i've tried to research online but i don't really see a consensus on what really causes it - seems like everyone has a different expert opinion

i have a 2004 jeep wrangler X with 31 inch tires (might be 31 & 1/2 if that's a thing)

if you are familiar with the DW, what's the best way to fix it iyo?

thanks

Banned
    Load Metric

i've tried to research online but i don't really see a consensus on what really causes it - seems like everyone has a different expert opinion

i have a 2004 jeep wrangler X with 31 inch tires (might be 31 & 1/2 if that's a thing)

thanks

TJ's are famous for eating tie rod ends and for the trackbar mounts wearing out. even in non lifted versions. fix those two things and replace the steering stabilizer, and in most cases it will drive like new. If you want to be thorough, ball joints too.

*EDIT* not sure why I chimed in, I OBV got up too early

Comments

wrenchjockey: Doing the Lord's work.

WillieMcFML: gracias
    Last edited by The_Lurker; 08-04-2017 at 04:35 AM.

Load Metric
    finally.

jeep talk.

Name:  IMG_2840.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  2.85 MB

Comments

wrenchjockey: Old school hotness

FPS_Russia: Ah yes, the PFA has some Jeep weirdos. Had a friend pick me up in something like that to go climb hills.It climbed alright but on the road I thought we were going to die, smh.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Gold
    Load Metric

thanks
    Yeah, big time.

So for those who aren't aware, the configuration of some 4WD front axles has an achilles heel. Jeeps aren't the only ones either, Fords and Dodges also use the same setup on various trucks, and the problem is exacerbated any time you lift the suspension. Jeeps mostly get the bad rap because they seem to suffer from it more often. Anyway, here it is. Fast forward to :17 to skip the BS

Long story short, once the front axle begins oscillating laterally, it doesn't quit until you slow down or completely come to a stop. The faster you go, the more you think you're going to die. Hence, Death Wobble.

The main problem with diagnosing this issue is that it's not typically ONE thing that causes it. It's usually a combination of two or more factors.

In no particular order:

TIRES: This is first because it's what fixed the issue on one of my Jeeps. Tires can just get shitty, especially if you subject them to offroading, potholes, etc. I keep a good set of Jeep wheels and tires on hand at the shop in both the TJ and JK patterns to help diagnose bad tires. If you put a known good set of tires on and the issue goes away, then you've found the culprit. Obviously, you probably don't have a spare set of wheels and tires laying around. If you're lucky you might have a buddy or acquaintance that can help you out. There are lots of local jeep clubs on Facebook as well, and you might get lucky and find someone to help you out. Basically, swap known good wheels and tires onto your rig and drive it. You'll know if you fixed it.

CONTROL ARMS / BUSHINGS: Jeep has actually issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that states that weak or shot control arm bushing is the cause, and in some cases they're right. However, in my opinion, less than half the DW cases I see can be resolved with control arms and bushings alone. That doesn't mean you shouldn't inspect them carefully. The best way is to crawl under the jeep with a pry bar and try to move the control arm laterally. They're supposed to flex *some*, but any huge, visible cracks in the rubber bushing or excessive play should be obvious and they should be changed. Go aftermarket instead of factory parts if at all possible. The aftermarket arms and bushings are waaaay better.

TRACK BAR: The track bar is the bar that goes between the frame and the axle, and is responsible for holding the axle in the "center" side-to-side. This is probably one of the most common DW causes, but one of the most difficult to catch. To find it, do the same thing as your control arm pry bar test, but this time do BOTH lateral and up/down prying on the frame-side mount. Any play AT ALL condemns the track bar. Again, go aftermarket before OEM with any replacement.

STEERING/TIE RODS: The Y-link stock steering is complete dogshit, ESPECIALLY when you start lifting the Jeep. Any lift at all throws the stock geometry of the steering completely out of whack and its not possible to return it to the specs that the manufacturers intended them to be. Testing steering linkage for looseness is kind of the same as the track bar, do whatever you can with a pry bar or your hands to manipulate the rod ends, looking for play. ANY looseness at all condemns these parts, and DO NOT put stock steering back on. Replace the entire steering with a crossover system. If you need a good example of what you should install, I will hook you up with a friend of mine who makes a killer system that I've run in all my jeeps with zero problems. Matter of fact, it's the first upgrade I do to any Jeep, and it works no matter how much lift or articulation you throw at a rig.

STEERING STABILIZER: Contrary to popular belief, a steering stabilizer CAN NOT cause DW, but it will certainly make it worse. The steering stabilizer is only responsible for dampening steering. Those who say they've fixed DW with a new stabilizer have only masked it temporarily, and will need to revisit the issue sooner than later. That doesn't mean you should ignore the steering stabilizer. On the contrary, get the best one you can afford.

BALL JOINTS: Like the steering, any looseness condemns these, but you can only test them with the suspension LOADED, and the tires OFF THE GROUND. This isn't difficult, but it can be dangerous so don't do it without being sure you know what you're doing. I can help explain it, or you can youtube it. Get upgraded heavy duty ball joints if they need replacement, and replace all 4 if one is bad. It will save you time and frustration. As long as you have the knuckles off, also replace the outer wheel u-joints with good Spicers.

99% of the time your answer will be above, and usually in a combination of issues. Above all, sometimes you just have to throw parts at it, but avoid it whenever possible by testing before replacing. Hope this helps.

And to tie it into the OP and so I don't get banned by todge, I got bit by a mosquito just now and lived.

Comments

LarryLaffer: gotta stay on topic even if it's just one sentence

The_Lurker: This man knows his jeep shit

WillieMcFML: hella in depth knowledge rep

Sanlmar: Need more random wrench.

shortbuspoker: guy in video is lucky he didn't accidentally hels himself

Kilgore Trout: <3

Gold
    Load Metric
    Fuck it, I never got bit by a mosquito. I use Deep Woods Off.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Wrench, I have a problem with my Jeep. Every time I take it out into the woods, I end up spending 3 hours getting it out of some horrendous mud hole. Thoughts?

Load Metric

thanks
    Been researching it lately too. I hit a speed bump doing about 70 a couple of weeks ago and it killed my speed sensors and set off my traction light and abs light. That was on top of the fact that my front end was hoping side to side like a motherfucker.

best video I've found so far

Comments

wrenchjockey: don't you love his bitch mittens?

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Wrench, I have a problem with my Jeep. Every time I take it out into the woods, I end up spending 3 hours getting it out of some horrendous mud hole. Thoughts?
    I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem here. Did you fling mud on the tasty missus?

Comments

The_Lurker: that girl has mud in her veins

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    finally.

jeep talk.

Name:  IMG_2840.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  2.85 MB
    Screw old school. Time to go new school.

Comments

wrenchjockey: shitposting
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Hey mumblefuck, that isn't a jeep, and it doesn't exhibit symptoms of death wobble.

Resist the urge to fuck up every single thread with your constant need to be accepted. If you can't contribute to this serious thread, stay out.

In other words

SHUT UP MUMBLEFUCK

Comments

The_Lurker: mumblefuck

MumblesBadly: I don't need to be "accepted", asswrench. And it's a Jeep, alright... a mutant Jeep on steroids!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Recent holiday pic. No, I wasn't in charge of the rental, yes the Jeep was perfect for the prairie roads and all that entails
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    What's your regular vehicle, a Tesla or something? Does Minton not have charging stations? Why would you rent? And no shame in purple. It's a royal color... 50/50 mix between red and plue pill... the way I like it.

Thread Information