Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Had a stroke in July due to blood pressure

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPeters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post

Jesus.

What a buzz kill.
    sorry, but had to say something. this shit fucking sux, I'm stuck here in inpatient for the next month and then probably gonna have to do outpatient rehab for another 6 months but luckily my left side is coming back more and more each day. guys, don't be dumb like me and get ur blood pressure checked and go see ur doctor if u aren't feeling right. u don't want to have a stroke, I promise u

Best of luck to you . 260 pounds, while heavy, isn't ridiculous for some someone 6-1. History of hypertension in the family?

god speed

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPeters View Post
    sorry, but had to say something. this shit fucking sux, I'm stuck here in inpatient for the next month and then probably gonna have to do outpatient rehab for another 6 months but luckily my left side is coming back more and more each day. guys, don't be dumb like me and get ur blood pressure checked and go see ur doctor if u aren't feeling right. u don't want to have a stroke, I promise u

Best of luck to you . 260 pounds, while heavy, isn't ridiculous for some someone 6-1. History of hypertension in the family?

god speed
    Most likely, his extreme hypertension was caused by chronic sleep loss brought on by the sleep apnea.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

god speed
    Most likely, his extreme hypertension was caused by chronic sleep loss brought on by the sleep apnea.
    No, most likely it was brought on by genetics, which is by far the biggest factor in high blood pressure.

People hate the fact that high blood pressure and high cholesterol are almost entirely due to genetics. Humans like to feel like they control their own destiny. Eat healthy, exercise, and your blood pressure & cholesterol levels should stay low, right? Wrong. But the myths still persist that lifestyle is the primary cause of these conditions.

Load Metric
    I agree that genetics plays the largest role in blood pressure and heart disease but lifestyle, especially a very bad one also is a factor not to be ignored. There is no excuse for being a fat pig, your health will get compromised and you're likely a shittier person in the process. Theres increasing evidence that high sodium and high sugar diets as well as diets extremely low in sodium fuck with our moods to the point of mimicking depression.

After I quit drinking years ago I noticed a very clear link between awful food and my moods, especially the day after a horrible late meal. Personally I am incredibly happy and optimistic when I string days and weeks together eating a diet under 2300mg per day of sodium and no refined sugars. Of course I fall off the clean eating occasionally and without fail I notice my mind gets rooted in more negative thoughts, I get irritated more easily and I rarely give someone the charitable option when I'm unclear what their intent was in a convo/email/text.

For those of you in love with your bad diets you'll instantly disregard this info as nonsense. Much like in the drinking thread people will find ways to defend their behaviours. It's a wicked blind spot tons of us have. If anyone is interested I can link some studies and share how I eat. I promise if you get through the initial sugar flu (lasts a week) you'll notice a drastic increase in moods, you won't get irritated with silly shit anymore and you will obsess less in negative thoughts

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2491403/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    I agree that genetics plays the largest role in blood pressure and heart disease but lifestyle, especially a very bad one also is a factor not to be ignored. There is no excuse for being a fat pig, your health will get compromised and you're likely a shittier person in the process. Theres increasing evidence that high sodium and high sugar diets as well as diets extremely low in sodium fuck with our moods to the point of mimicking depression.

After I quit drinking years ago I noticed a very clear link between awful food and my moods, especially the day after a horrible late meal. Personally I am incredibly happy and optimistic when I string days and weeks together eating a diet under 2300mg per day of sodium and no refined sugars. Of course I fall off the clean eating occasionally and without fail I notice my mind gets rooted in more negative thoughts, I get irritated more easily and I rarely give someone the charitable option when I'm unclear what their intent was in a convo/email/text.

For those of you in love with your bad diets you'll instantly disregard this info as nonsense. Much like in the drinking thread people will find ways to defend their behaviours. It's a wicked blind spot tons of us have. If anyone is interested I can link some studies and share how I eat. I promise if you get through the initial sugar flu (lasts a week) you'll notice a drastic increase in moods, you won't get irritated with silly shit anymore and you will obsess less in negative thoughts

Post daily diet plz ty
    Last edited by big dick; 08-04-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Load Metric

Good post and you make a good point about feeling good based on food you eat.

While it can be debated how much genetics plays a role, there is really no doubt in my mind that the food you eat effects the way you feel. People that dismiss this generally are people that have been eating shitty their whole lives so they dont know there is any other way to feel. With that said, I drink too much so you can say i am being hypercritical which would be fair. However, I realize that having two vices is worse than one. I never liked sweets so it has been easy for me to stay away from sugar. I also dont have a big thing on "food." For example, some people cant wait for lunch to have sweet and sour pork, I just know it would make me feel sick. You are absolutely right that if you stop eating sugar and then re introduce it in large amounts your body gets pissed off. It is almost like drinking for a long time, stopping, and then drinking heavily again. Your body isnt ready for the poison and has no tolerance.

I pretty much each the same shit every day:

Breakfast - Two hard boiled eggs, coffee or piece of toast with peanut butter (no added sugar)

Lunch - Some kind of mexican salad or Lebanese bowl. No rice in any of the bowls and no chips or tortillas for mexican bowl . Pork, chicken, steak or gyro. Avocados are great, beans, tomatoes, etc

Snacks - packs of almonds and Epic Pork rinds.

Dinner - Some sort of meat, usually fish, salad . I throw in some broccoli sprouts everyday as there has been some interesting studies on those.

I also run 5 miles a day, 6-1 and fluctuate between 180-190. I also go in the sauna every other day for 20 mins as there is some interesting studies on sauna use and longevity.

If you are a drinker, beer is the worst for putting on weight. Anything distilled (like whiskey) has way less of an impact on weight gain.

There are really no longer term clinical trials on nutrition (comparing one diet against another) so a lot of it is speculation as to if a diet plays any sort of role in longevity. But who cares. If you are going to live to 75 regardless of what you eat, I would think you would want to do so with as much energy as possible and to feel good as much as possible.
    Last edited by cmoney; 08-05-2017 at 06:16 AM.

Load Metric

While it can be debated how much genetics plays a role, there is really no doubt in my mind that the food you eat effects the way you feel. People that dismiss this generally are people that have been eating shitty their whole lives so they dont know there is any other way to feel. With that said, I drink too much so you can say i am being hypercritical which would be fair. However, I realize that having two vices is worse than one. I never liked sweets so it has been easy for me to stay away from sugar. I also dont have a big thing on "food." For example, some people cant wait for lunch to have sweet and sour pork, I just know it would make me feel sick. You are absolutely right that if you stop eating sugar and then re introduce it in large amounts your body gets pissed off. It is almost like drinking for a long time, stopping, and then drinking heavily again. Your body isnt ready for the poison and has no tolerance.

Breakfast - Two hard boiled eggs, coffee or piece of toast with peanut butter (no added sugar)

Lunch - Some kind of mexican salad or Lebanese bowl. No rice in any of the bowls and no chips or tortillas for mexican bowl . Pork, chicken, steak or gyro. Avocados are great, beans, tomatoes, etc

Dinner - Some sort of meat, usually fish, salad . I throw in some broccoli sprouts everyday as there has been some interesting studies on those.

I also run 5 miles a day, 6-1 and fluctuate between 180-190. I also go in the sauna every other day for 20 mins as there is some interesting studies on sauna use and longevity.

If you are a drinker, beer is the worst for putting on weight. Anything distilled (like whiskey) has way less of an impact on weight gain.
    good posts guys, since my stroke i have been on a heart healthy diet which basically means low sodium, under 1500 mgs a day, low fat, no red meat, just lean chicken breast meat, occational lean pork,and no caffiene or refined sugars. so basically lots of vegetables, fresh fruit and lean protein. its just common sense, i feel way better and have lost almost 20 pounds since july 17th and i dont plan on changing my diet to my old ways ever again

Load Metric
    God speed Dr Peters. Please refrain from hiking & camping too else all the other hard work could be for not.

Don't let Druffs suffering be in vain. We can learn from his mistakes.

cmoney surely has incorporated this habit into his HOF lifestyle

Load Metric

There are really no longer term clinical trials on nutrition (comparing one diet against another) so a lot of it is speculation as to if a diet plays any sort of role in longevity. But who cares. If you are going to live to 75 regardless of what you eat, I would think you would want to do so with as much energy as possible and to feel good as much as possible.
    pork rhinds are amazing.

don't know about the rest of the healthy shit.

if you want to put off weight and eat like a goon, ride a bike like me.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    cmoney, wet or dry sauna?

Nothing nastier than a hot wet Petrie dish sauna.

If your taking a wet sauna at Caesars (where maintenance and cleaning aren't offered to anyone including 7 Stars) we need to discuss succession planning around here and possibly the "cmoney charitable trust for degenerates"

Comments

LarryLaffer: dry all day. norwegian way

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    God speed Dr Peters. Please refrain from hiking & camping too else all the other hard work could be for not.

Don't let Druffs suffering be in vain. We can learn from his mistakes.

cmoney surely has incorporated this habit into his HOF lifestyle
    *Druff's gonna tilt so hard at that forgotten apostrophe.

Load Metric

I don't think it's hypocritical at all to be aware of the mood altering effects of bad food but still choose to drink, humans are pretty nuanced creatures. I like to hunt and eat meat, my wife hates hunting but loves meat, I think one can reconcile those two seemingly counter facts just by being a human being. If I could control my eating I'd likely still drink but it seemed drinking, awful food, gambling and hookers all went together. Anything I could do to get a dopamine and beta endorphin rush I'd do. All or nothing.

It's also likely you don't crave sugar because you get plenty from the alcohol. I never cared for dessert but as soon as I took booze out of the equation I couldn't get enough.

How do you control your eating when drunk or hungover? I had no free will in those moments.

Comments

big dick: good post

Hockey Guy: Hooker rep.
    Last edited by peter mcneil; 08-05-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Load Metric
    DrPeters - my sis is an OBGYN so heart disease isn't her area of expertise but my old man has had 5 heart attacks and she has access to all the studies behind the scenes that doctors evaluate. Of course don't follow my advice but look into it - there is increasing evidence that a low sodium, zero sugar but higher fat diet is very healthy for humans in general and in particular those with heart disease. I'll ask her to send me some studies but that's how we all eat now. Low carb, high fat, zero sugar and I am lean as hell (down 75lbs since I quit drinking), very good hunger control and steady moods. My old man is 82, had quadruple bypass a year ago and he is also eating this way and I think he's the healthiest I've seen him in 20 years.

Gold
    Load Metric

Druff wants to blame his high blood pressure on genetics so he can continue drinking his Pepsi and Orange Juice and gobbling up his pizza and subway sandwiches with tomatoes on the side. Maybe his entire family has bad eating habits, especially being Jews and their love for bagels which are full of sugar. Do an experiment Todd, cut the carbs for the rest of the year and lets see if your blood pressure becomes normal. I will bet that it does.

Comments

JimmyG_415: EXACTLY.

tony bagadonuts: Sage advice

Load Metric

I don't think it's hypocritical at all to be aware of the mood altering effects of bad food but still choose to drink, humans are pretty nuanced creatures. I like to hunt and eat meat, my wife hates hunting but loves meat, I think one can reconcile those two seemingly counter facts just by being a human being. If I could control my eating I'd likely still drink but it seemed drinking, awful food, gambling and hookers all went together. Anything I could do to get a dopamine and beta endorphin rush I'd do. All or nothing.

It's also likely you don't crave sugar because you get plenty from the alcohol. I never cared for dessert but as soon as I took booze out of the equation I couldn't get enough.

How do you control your eating when drunk or hungover? I had no free will in those moments.
    I am not smart enough to comment on what alcohol does to your blood sugar levels once it enters your body. However, i always thought beer and liquor have very small amounts of sugar in them. My understanding is that the real danger with sugar and alcohol is in the mixed drinks.

I actually have pretty good discipline when it comes to beer/liquor and food. Even when drinking, i am really good with sticking to no sugars and grains. Also, drinking a bunch of beer and eating chips, pizza, or whatever the snack there is around, just makes me sick.

Gambling is another story. I dont even like to gamble unless i am drinking. I find it completely boring without the booze.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post

Druff wants to blame his high blood pressure on genetics so he can continue drinking his Pepsi and Orange Juice and gobbling up his pizza and subway sandwiches with tomatoes on the side. Maybe his entire family has bad eating habits, especially being Jews and their love for bagels which are full of sugar. Do an experiment Todd, cut the carbs for the rest of the year and lets see if your blood pressure becomes normal. I will bet that it does.
    If Druff reduced his sodium under 1500mg per day, eliminated refined sugars, dropped a few lbs I'd be willing to take a bet that his blood pressure improves dramatically, hard to say if it gets to a normal level because genetics play a huge role. I also agree that him believing his purely genetic allows him to continue with a behaviour he enjoys and doesn't want to quit (eating like shit). How do you know for sure what your family genetics are, Druff? It's very hard to study because eating patterns are generally passed down from parents. If most of your family eats like shit and heart disease/high blood pressure is an issue you won't know if it's genetic. Why not take a crack at living healthy for a year and find out the truth? It's a tough month changing the habits but well worth it, you'll also break a cycle and pass down a gift to your son that will improve everything about his life.

Sorry if I seem preachy, I just feel so fucking good with the changes I've made the last few years and I'd love to see others do the same.

Load Metric

I am not smart enough to comment on what alcohol does to your blood sugar levels once it enters your body. However, i always thought beer and liquor have very small amounts of sugar in them. My understanding is that the real danger with sugar and alcohol is in the mixed drinks.

I actually have pretty good discipline when it comes to beer/liquor and food. Even when drinking, i am really good with sticking to no sugars and grains. Also, drinking a bunch of beer and eating chips, pizza, or whatever the snack there is around, just makes me sick.

Gambling is another story. I dont even like to gamble unless i am drinking. I find it completely boring without the booze.
    Alcohol is generally a carb and will convert to sugars, it will raise your blood sugars and then dramatically reduce them in huge levels. This is also another contributing factor to wanting more booze.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Uhhh... alcohol is converted into fat by the liver, not sugar.

Load Metric

I'm the same. When I take a day off from the beer drinking, i'm just craving anything sugary....and I rarely ever eat sweets.

Load Metric
    DrPeters - my sis is an OBGYN so heart disease isn't her area of expertise but my old man has had 5 heart attacks and she has access to all the studies behind the scenes that doctors evaluate. Of course don't follow my advice but look into it - there is increasing evidence that a low sodium, zero sugar but higher fat diet is very healthy for humans in general and in particular those with heart disease. I'll ask her to send me some studies but that's how we all eat now. Low carb, high fat, zero sugar and I am lean as hell (down 75lbs since I quit drinking), very good hunger control and steady moods. My old man is 82, had quadruple bypass a year ago and he is also eating this way and I think he's the healthiest I've seen him in 20 years.
    thanks for the suggestion peter, i will definitely look into it

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Peters helping Peters...what a time to be alive

Thread Information