Thread: micro limit Omaha 8 thread

Load Metric

micro limit Omaha 8 thread

I figured that I'd kick up a thread for anyone that may play micro or low limit O8 here at PFA. I just started yesterday at .05/.10 limit and am up an amazing $4 or so. Does anyone have any strat suggestions for that low of a limit versus the higher dollar amounts? Also, once my sample size is up to a significant size for comparison purposes, what is a good bb/100 average?

Load Metric
    I'm learning the same game, although playing sng's and mtt's and $15 - $30 range. Plenty of bad play at this level (case in point) I have no clue what I'm doing. I did manage to win 1 of 2 18 man's, but I know ICM better than most so that's a different skill set then the HU or MTT's where I'm a total fish. I've been called all kinds of names already. I'm only down $200 overall and played over 100 matches, trying to get back to even.

edit: I'm also playing mostly PL or NL as those are the games that run most

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    I figured that I'd kick up a thread for anyone that may play micro or low limit O8 here at PFA. I just started yesterday at .05/.10 limit and am up an amazing $4 or so. Does anyone have any strat suggestions for that low of a limit versus the higher dollar amounts? Also, once my sample size is up to a significant size for comparison purposes, what is a good bb/100 average?
    As Iceman once said on radio "You have to love your money" and in ultra low stakes games, most players dont love their money. They will find themselves calling with 4th or 5th nuts against 3 or 4 other playersbecause the pot is so big relative to the bet and they know they should fold.

Others will call 2 raises pre with silly hand A799. Players will stay with KQ23 on 235 boards and hope to make a house.
    Other players have absolutely no idea of position, and many think "Well, JJ is a monster in holdem so JJ27 must be a monster in O/8".

On the river if they have any flush and sometimes any straight on a possible flush board, they'll raise because they figure "Thats a great hand in Holdem".

"Everyone" is there to play hands, not play poker, so seeing 6+ to a flop is likely, whereas at higher levels its likely to be 2 or 3 players to a flop. I think Ray Cooke said in his book that if you need 4 or 5 players to a flop to make most hands work however.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    a good tip:

If you are in last position and its ckecked to you bet the pot and will win(90%) of the time. Most micro stakes players very rarely checkraise in plo8. If they do raise you. fold(10%)

try it and report back. ty

Comments

RichardBrodiesCombover.: stfu you broke faggot

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SideEffect View Post
    a good tip:

If you are in last position and its ckecked to you bet the pot and will win(90%) of the time. Most micro stakes players very rarely checkraise in plo8. If they do raise you. fold(10%)

try it and report back. ty
    I'm playing limit O8 not PLO8 and I can tell you now after my first 500 hands that they do not fold that easy.

Load Metric
    I don't have much experience with LO8.

I would say the pot-limit game is probably my second favorite after HULHE, though. I do kind of agree that guys in the micros games aren't especially foldy but I think you can find some good bluff spots versus the nut peddlers. Folds-to-flop-bet is a good HUD stat to have. It's also a game where it's useful to have WTSD and W$SD stats as it gives you an easy way to distinguish between the different types of players.

Load Metric
    nothing really to do with strat but the check/call button Blackchip Poker and it's titlting me because I keep forgetting and clicking it anyways

Load Metric
    I am amazed so far by the amount of people that will call with inside straight draws with no low draw and underpairs to the board with no low draw. I've also noticed that a lot of them will call multiway river reraises when they are obviously splitting the low.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    I am amazed so far by the amount of people that will call with inside straight draws with no low draw and underpairs to the board with no low draw. I've also noticed that a lot of them will call multiway river reraises when they are obviously splitting the low.
    As I put in my post they think "Its a great hand in holdem" and dont stop to think what others might have.

There are situations where you should consider folding nut low on the river with absolutely no high (like A234 on 6,7,8,big,big) but even then its likely you'll get back more than the 4 bets you'd be forced to call.

Just make notes on the "low raising clowns" and see what sort of hands they had and what their position was.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Small sample size given that it's impossible to find more than one micro O8 table running on Merge but I'm starting to figure it out I think.

Name:  BB Won over Hands Played.png
Views: 353
Size:  42.2 KB

Load Metric
    I have finally crawled out of the hole. Finding PLO and PLO8 a lot of fun. The 18man $15 sng's are very easy with very few regs that have a clue about ICM. I finally FT'd a MTT. I find them tougher with lots of rocks playing them.

Load Metric
    I consider myself a very good Omaha 8 player (limit only) and have been playing the game for at least 10 years live and online.

The key to O8 is finding a good table. A good table is one where 3 players (other than yourself) are seeing the flop. A great table is when 5+ are seeing the flop. In these cases you knows players are calling pre-flop with hands like 23xx and A4xx/A5xx. Also, a second consideration is how many players will play these hands for multiple bets preflop, if you find a game where you get people playing A4xx and 234x hands for two bets you haved found a goldmine.

My Omaha 8 strategy is to generally play tighter and do a lot of preflop raising from late positions for value with hands like A24 with a suited Ace. I like to hammer the pot when I have one way locked-up and any shot at the other half unless it's heads-up (so you might think me oned of the "low-raising clowns" at first). It's far better to get qwuartered three-handed than to lose 1/2 the pot because you didn't raise out a marginal high or low hand. For instance, if you have A379 and the board reads 2-4-7-9-T, I'm always going to war trying to getsomeone with the low end of the straight (or maybe a non-nut flush) or a better two-pair/trips to fold even if I know there is another A3 out there. I'f I'm wrong and put in 4-bets on the river I lose 1 bet, if I fold out a better high-hand I gain 5 bets. A lot of this is feel and rads on opponents but I adhere to the motto that "getting quartered isn't that bad". In the above example I only haved to be right 20% of the timed to break even.

Some undervalued hands in the game are A2 and two other low cards even something like 67, since this gives you a chance to hit the nut low draw with two-pair or straight draws: or A2/A3 with low pairs like 66 for the same reason, since you'll be in good shape to scoop on any flop with a 6 and another low card. I prefer these to hands like A2JJ in multi-way pots.

Overvalued hands are AA without another wheel card. The difference between AA4T and AA6T is monumental. I fold any AAxx no suits from just about every position unless I can isolate the blinds. 23xx is terri-bad too since you almost never have a shot at winning high (although 2366, 2368, or something like that isn't bad since you have some scoop potential).

Keep the thread going, fun to talk O8.
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Load Metric
    I had my two worst hands since I've been trying O8 back to back today.

1st hand:

dealt Ac 2c 10x Jx
    betting caps 4 ways

flop comes 8c 9c 5x - open ended straight draw, nut flush draw, nut low draw
    betting caps 3 ways

turn Kx - still drawing to nut straight
    betting caps 3 ways

river 8x
    checks around

winner shows A 7 7 4 to win with a sevens and eights no low

next hand:

dealt Ah Ac Jh Jc
    I raise get one caller

flop comes A A J
    I make the mistake of betting other guy folds I win the minimum

Name:  russian-roulette.jpg