Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Largest financial deals for sports stars?

Load Metric

Largest financial deals for sports stars?

Brazilian footballer 'Neymar' is on the brink of a move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) for a world record fee of $263m.

The amount is to be paid upfront in one single transaction. And it doesn't include the player's wages, which will be around $400,000 per week (at least)

So $263m transfer fee plus $100m wages over 5 years gives us $363m for a single footballer. Which is fucking outrageous considering there are a minimum of 3-4 players in the world who are better than he is.

PSG is a club owned by a company in Qatar. The company is owned by the state of Qatar itself. Which explains why they can afford such a luxury, as there is zero chance they will see a positive financial return on this investment.

The whole thing is gross. But how does this compare to huge deals that have gone down for the biggest sports stars in the US?

Oh, and Neymar's agent will take around $80m from the $263m deal.

His agent also happens to be his dad lol
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Brazilian footballer 'Neymar' is on the brink of a move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) for a world record fee of $263m.

The amount is to be paid upfront in one single transaction. And it doesn't include the player's wages, which will be around $400,000 per week (at least)

So $263m transfer fee plus $100m wages over 5 years gives us $363m for a single footballer. Which is fucking outrageous considering there are a minimum of 3-4 players in the world who are better than he is.

PSG is a club owned by a company in Qatar. The company is owned by the state of Qatar itself. Which explains why they can afford such a luxury, as there is zero chance they will see a positive financial return on this investment.

The whole thing is gross. But how does this compare to huge deals that have gone down for the biggest sports stars in the US?

Oh, and Neymar's agent will take around $80m from the $263m deal.

His agent also happens to be his dad lol
    how the fuck can they even do that? aren't they just breezing past financial fair play?

$21M/year isn't that big of a deal compared to US athletes...

off the top of my head here are guys who make more or close to it:

baseball: mike trout, cc sabathia, miggy Cabrera, clayton Kershaw, max scherzer, Zach grienke, david price
    basketball: james harden, LeBron, Gordon heyward, chris paul, kevin durant, steph curry, john wall, kyle lowry
    football: kirk cousins, joe flacco, drew brees, eli manning, Russell Wilson, Andrew luck
    hockey: pretty sure none

this isn't close to a comprehensive list...I'm guessing you can list probably minimum 50 more across the 3 sports...

EDIT: if you add the $50+M in transfer fees no US athlete comes close...think the curry/harden/paul deals at around $40M per (think that's right for those guys) are the highest for any US athlete...
    Last edited by GambleBotsChafedPenis; 08-02-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Load Metric
    Update on the deal. My figures were way off.

The total package over 5 years (transfer fee/wages/bonus's) comes in at around $600m. He will be taking home $662,000 per week in wages.... AFTER TAX

Fucking hell

lol gotta love the smell of oil money.

Platinum
    Load Metric

The total package over 5 years (transfer fee/wages/bonus's) comes in at around $600m. He will be taking home $662,000 per week in wages.... AFTER TAX

Fucking hell

don't know the tax structure, but $34/year after tax is way beyond what any of the basketball guys make...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

Fucking hell

don't know the tax structure, but $34/year after tax is way beyond what any of the basketball guys make...

BTW Everybody is asking about FFP, but PSG is saying this won't be a problem.

Could actually see them disqualified from the Champions League. But I remember Manchester City (another oil rich club run by Arabs) fell foul of the FPP a few years back and it resulted in them paying around £50m in fines and NO disqualification from the CL.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Could actually see them disqualified from the Champions League. But I remember Manchester City (another oil rich club run by Arabs) fell foul of the FPP a few years back and it resulted in them paying around £50m in fines and NO disqualification from the CL.
    lol don't they have a couple of big name guys already? the star Uruguayan guy that i'm blanking on right now and another guy or two?

how the hell do you add all that cost and somehow have the revenue to back it up...

Load Metric

lol don't they have a couple of big name guys already? the star Uruguayan guy that i'm blanking on right now and another guy or two?

how the hell do you add all that cost and somehow have the revenue to back it up...

Yep, they got Cavani and a whole host of other top earners. The money isn't the issue as it's just pocket change to these Qatari's. But they're supposed to make the math add up with how much the club anually brings in.

They do this with overinflated sponsorship deals and clever accountancy work. No doubt it's a way to help launder money also.

Whole thing fucking stinks.

Load Metric
    FFP is basically dead now, if i remember correctly PSG also got the same punishment as City did along with Roma and one or two others but this was a few years ago and nothing has happened to anyone since then.

Of course if Uefa arent ready to admit FPP is dead then they will have to do something but if they do will be another fine at most, no chance they get kicked out of Champions League imo

Load Metric
    US sports seem to go in cycles.

Over the next few years the players are raking it in and their salaries are skyrocketing.

The next time the CBA's are up for negotiation there will likely be lockouts/strikes/etc as the owners want to reign in the outrageous spending that they caused.

Silver
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nobody in the US really cares about soccer. Let's talk about he next big contracts in sports that matter.

MLB- Does Harper go over 500M? Will Machado get even close?

NBA- who cares a bunch of criminals

NFL- meh they play once a week bunch of pussies.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post
    Nobody in the US really cares about soccer. Let's talk about he next big contracts in sports that matter.

Well we know that isn't true.

By 2045 football with topple all other sports in the US. There will be no stopping the greatest sport on earth.

By 2060 rugby will be the second most popular sport in the US.

By 2065 MLB will be seen for what it is. The sport will be mostly dominated by schoolgirls and transgenders.

Not even trolling.

Load Metric
    Money like that reeks of kickbacks/laundering. Hard to sanction a pawn and seize his assets. Qatar officials involved in hiding state assets is not a stretch.

LOTF: Soccer overtaking the big 3 in the US can't happen without massive immigration. The IQ of a typical blue collar worker can't understand the game nor will they choose to learn it via betting in a game that offers 0-0 scores. You are overplaying your hand with this prediction.

Remember WWE and NASCAR are in the top 10 of sport programming. They can't even understand F1. They hear the word chicane and they look for something to lick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKDANIELS View Post
    FFP is basically dead now, if i remember correctly PSG also got the same punishment as City did along with Roma and one or two others but this was a few years ago and nothing has happened to anyone since then.

Of course if Uefa arent ready to admit FPP is dead then they will have to do something but if they do will be another fine at most, no chance they get kicked out of Champions League imo
    its funny that UEFA actually thinks fining these arabs is going to stop them from spending a shitton over FFP...it would be like in America fining steve balmer luxury tax and penalties for repeatedly going over the salary cap if the clippers could win NBA titles...guy's worth 20B, fining him 50-100M a year means absolutely nothing...taking away his chance to compete for a title somehow would be what really hurts...obviously that won't happen in the NBA, but if UEFA had balls they'd suspend these guys from the CL...sure the arabs could give a rats ass about winning ligue 1, but really care about showcasing their team in the CL...

Load Metric
    Obv Uefa knows that these fines arent going to do shit to stop the Oil clubs spending like crazy but its an extra source of revenue for them which gives more incentive to keep up the charade that Fpp is still a thing

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: True Rep

Platinum
    Load Metric

Yep, they got Cavani and a whole host of other top earners. The money isn't the issue as it's just pocket change to these Qatari's. But they're supposed to make the math add up with how much the club anually brings in.

They do this with overinflated sponsorship deals and clever accountancy work. No doubt it's a way to help launder money also.

Whole thing fucking stinks.
    easy $1B kit deal...problem solved...

but isn't that what City got nailed for? didn't their arabs try to say they were getting some huge chunk from ethiad?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Obv Uefa knows that these fines arent going to do shit to stop the Oil clubs spending like crazy but its an extra source of revenue for them which gives more incentive to keep up the charade that Fpp is still a thing
    nothing like a little money grab to keep up the charade of fairness...

it's like they think you euros are too fucking stupid to see that shit...

BTW this whole system you guys have is fascinating...I think I get it on a very general level, but would love to dig into the whole buying/selling players thing...

Load Metric
    FFP was a pretty dumb idea to begin with anyway imo

Basically was just designed to keep the status quo intact and stop rich owners being able to take over a random club, pump in tons of money and take the spot of an established club at the top table.

Although obv as a Liverpool fan would be much better for us if Ffp was a thing as we already generating higher revenue than most clubs its defo unfair on clubs arent at an the same level who want to close the gap.

It's risky tho as if the owners decide to leave or become unwilling / unable to keep on bankrolling the club can quickly end up in a much worse position than they were to begin with like happened with Leeds, Portsmouth, Glasgow Rangers, Parma, etc

Platinum
    Load Metric
    FFP was a pretty dumb idea to begin with anyway imo

Basically was just designed to keep the status quo intact and stop rich owners being able to take over a random club, pump in tons of money and take the spot of an established club at the top table.

Although obv as a Liverpool fan would be much better for us if Ffp was a thing as we already generating higher revenue than most clubs its defo unfair on clubs arent at an the same level who want to close the gap.

It's risky tho as if the owners decide to leave or become unwilling / unable to keep on bankrolling the club can quickly end up in a much worse position than they were to begin with like happened with Leeds, Portsmouth, Glasgow Rangers, Parma, etc
    I know a very small amount about the PL/UEFA, but wasn't Portsmouth a PL club that got relegated, docked points and are now in like the 3rd or 4th tier?

Same thing with rangers? aren't they the second biggest club in Scotland and they ended up in bankruptcy, relegated to Scottish league 2 and are now back up?

Comments

JACKDANIELS: exactly this, you know much more than you give yourself credit for

Load Metric
    nothing like a little money grab to keep up the charade of fairness...

it's like they think you euros are too fucking stupid to see that shit...

BTW this whole system you guys have is fascinating...I think I get it on a very general level, but would love to dig into the whole buying/selling players thing...
    Fifa / Uefa / etc are all corrupt as fuck most people who pay any attention know this but it is what it is

The USA Draft / Trade / salary cap model is way more complex than the transfer market imo which is just standard capitalist buying and selling of assets

Always found it ironic that the country that is the main driver of global capitalism runs all their major sports leagues like a bunch of communists rofl

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodpoop View Post

Well we know that isn't true.

By 2045 football with topple all other sports in the US. There will be no stopping the greatest sport on earth.

By 2060 rugby will be the second most popular sport in the US.

By 2065 MLB will be seen for what it is. The sport will be mostly dominated by schoolgirls and transgenders.

Not even trolling.
    I never played soccer but I do enjoy watching it especially when it is National Team games and tournaments.

But....no way it passes the Big 3 as the #1 sport in the states. American Football is huge and fast paced, baseball is a fucking artform and I love it, basketball is becoming tough to watch due to the officiating and the actions/attitude of some of these n-words and hockey, while huge in canada, is still followed strongly.

We have the MLS over here which is a fairly solid league with 20 + teams. It just doesn't have the superstars the Premier League, Bundeslieg, and LA Liga have....Americans do get crazy with the World Cup, the copa cup etc. National Team play is a big draw.
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Thread Information