Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: darkweb drug markets as a whole might be donkdown

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintjewlips View Post
    I just never get the logic, you're smart enough to develop a platform that can be used to buy and sell drugs but you're too ignorant to realize that it's all being monitored?.

Im no columbo but even i know that the feds never jump right in too disrupt criminal orginazations, they usually wait until they have enough evidence to take everything you own so why even bother doing that? I get it if you're some kid in the hood who has nothing, but able bodied code nerds??

What we learned from Stuxnet was that theoretical attacks dont stay theoretical for long when government resources are brought to bare.

Plus after DARPA created TOR and .onion bloomed, neither of the significant attack vectors to compromise it existed; 1) someone controlling a majority of nodes, or b) browser zero days. On top of which, assfaggots like Dread Pirate Roberts left an improbably large trail of breadcrumbs on the internet leading directly to Silk Road, so human error is also a big contributor, as are good old application vulns.

Honestly the ignorant ones got caught, and the career criminals ran their shit through nation-state level obfuscation protocols before pulling 8 figure exit scams.

The ones in jail are the wide eyed honkey momos who just got in over their heads without any of the resources to stay afloat.
    Order of ways they get caught:

1. Human Error
    2. Human Error
    3. Human Error
    4. Human Error
    5. Human Error
    6. Human Error
    7. Human Error
    8. Human Error
    9. Human Error
    10. Security Loop Hole / Programming Bug / etc.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    If movies taught me anything(Lord of War, Catch me if you Can), guys like that get put to work by the same governments who capture them.

This stopped being the case maybe 15-20 years ago.
    Why

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: Your expertise in needed in Poker Community Discussion https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/showthread.php?14169-The-Poker-Vlog-Wars-of-2017&p=702957#post702957

Load Metric
    russ would be russian oligarch rich by now if he hadn't been caught

doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would cashout much bitcoin while renting a room off craigslist

which is why he should have exited much earlier - htf do you plan on laundering hundreds of millions, or billions of dollars?

at a certain point the risk v reward starts tanking

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    A few bad apples will ruin it for the many.

Say what you will, but if you have ever had real back or neck pain, you would understand the need for opiates.
    Oh im no stranger to the magic of vicodin during a shit work week. I just found it humorous that someone that regularly smokes crack is waxing poetic about a much less intense and, well, more legal drug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Load Metric

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would cashout much bitcoin while renting a room off craigslist

which is why he should have exited much earlier - htf do you plan on laundering hundreds of millions, or billions of dollars?

I think about this type of shit all the time. What if I went down a more dark road in my 20's. Got into bookmaking and minor drug dealing. Kept a low profile. Would I have been smart in the process? Keep a low level dipshit job for cover. Drive a mini van and not a BMW. Live in a modest apartment. But the most important question.... at what point do you pull the plug and "retire". $1M? $1.5M $2M?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post

This stopped being the case maybe 15-20 years ago.
    Why
    no one reason really, its a combination of factors;

- talent has matured. a lot of SIGINT types percolate through the various branches of the military and land in offensive "knife edge" security roles, having had excellent training and gained proper clearances organically. at this point, a tiny fraction of white/black hats in the world are anywhere near as talented as the average beneficiary of our militaries high-end in-house training programs. particularly the navy cats, those fuckers are straight terrifying.

- the dark arts are no longer quite so mysterious. OPSEC (avoiding detection during breaches in so many words) is fairly straight forward stuff, its no longer the singular domain of compulsive criminals. 20 years ago, not the case really. on top of which, and in direct response to that gulf that once existed between state actors and bleeding edge street level technology, 'brokers' have sprung up who either middle-man or craft in-house exploits and RATs and provide those technologies to state actors.

- perhaps most importantly; lets say you get busted for hacking. you have skills XY and Z. across town, another guy gets busted, he has skills XY and Z too, but he also is willing to rat out all his friends. which of you does hard time, and which of you gets the opportunity to troll darkweb forums for 14 hours a day for your new federal overlords?

tl;dr no one gets 'golden ticket' job offers anymore, if youre lucky enough to have some interesting friends to rat out to the feds, you get to be an informant. no one gets rich off being an informant.

caveat: this is not necessarily the case in countries like china and russia, for reasons i dont feel like getting into but should be obvious.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

I think about this type of shit all the time. What if I went down a more dark road in my 20's. Got into bookmaking and minor drug dealing. Kept a low profile. Would I have been smart in the process? Keep a low level dipshit job for cover. Drive a mini van and not a BMW. Live in a modest apartment. But the most important question.... at what point do you pull the plug and "retire". $1M? $1.5M $2M?
    all depends on what you consider "fuck you" money...some people it might be enough to not have to work a regular gig again, others it might be to have enough money to buy a different sports car every week...

Load Metric
    near as talented as the average beneficiary of our militaries high-end in-house training programs. particularly the navy cats, those fuckers are straight terrifying.
    When I was a kid and took seriously the notion of contributing something to society I studied electronic engineering.

We are talking early PC era and shit was happening fast and furious. I never enjoyed school very much. There were very few moments where I found myself saying, "shit, that's interesting".

Electronic Engineering was quite the opposite. I would walk out of class nearly every day saying, "that was fucking cool". Pushing bits and bytes through gates was frigging magic. Spent every available dime buying TTL chips and breadboards. Got lost in machine language as I wanted to commune with the trons as closely as humanly possible.

There was a romance that I felt for a discipline or subject that I have never experienced since.

The best teachers of electronics were ex Navy guys. It wasn't even close. They had a real world feel that was unmatched by academics. Which was ironic because even then I held military intelligence in very very low esteem.

I am floored that you claim the Navy cats are still at the cutting edge. I wonder why that is still true.

Greed overtook love. I discovered as an engineer you are just a hired tool. You are bought by a company in the same manner they would buy a hammer. Finance and management was were the power and money lay. Greed overtook love and I became the sad,angry & frustrated individual I am today.

I miss the Navy guys. It was almost Brokeback Mountain type man love.. except we fucked each other's ideas instead. (a blatant ripoff but I love this line)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I am floored that you claim the Navy cats are still at the cutting edge. I wonder why that is still true.
    ive heard it goes back to the origins of OSS and our relationship with british naval intelligence but im sure thats not the whole story. more likely, its because the navy has such an accent on EE, which demands a robust understanding of the underpinning IT systems, in both offensive and defensive capacities.

really tho, lots of conjecture in there.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Lead Dream Market mod just got busted.

100% true:

He got nailed at the airport after flying in from France...

...to participate in a fucking beard contest.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...175557206.html

Had about 500k USD in BTC, which seems like a paltry amount to risk going to jail for life over.

Comments

BeerAndPoker: For sure an idiot error in judgement but he was all about that beard contest tho

Charham: drug dealer and beard contest, you can't make this stuff up

Load Metric
    Lead Dream Market mod just got busted.

100% true:

He got nailed at the airport after flying in from France...

...to participate in a fucking beard contest.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...175557206.html

Had about 500k USD in BTC, which seems like a paltry amount to risk going to jail for life over.
    If you can't skip around the globe and participate in beard contests, what's the point of drug dealing?

Thread Information