Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This cop has a legit shot at being the first cop in Minnesota to be convicted of killing an unarmed citizen

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    imagine who would want to be a cop into today's climate for the pittance of a salary they draw.
    Probably no-one that has a lot of options. But not a lot of jobs for people with no real skills where you make $45k+/year plus great pension. My dad was a career police officer. He put in his 30 years and retired with guaranteed benefits the rest of his life and a pension that pays him his inflation injected top income for the rest of his life. Still probably hard to beat that.

sure, then. but that is not now. I think the likelihood of making it through a career without quitting or getting fired is small. plus this country has changed too much. it's not your daddy's country anymore. oh, and for this shit stipend you get shot at and harassed by everyone for doing your job. fuckkkkk that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    imagine who would want to be a cop into today's climate for the pittance of a salary they draw.
    Probably no-one that has a lot of options. But not a lot of jobs for people with no real skills where you make $45k+/year plus great pension. My dad was a career police officer. He put in his 30 years and retired with guaranteed benefits the rest of his life and a pension that pays him his inflation injected top income for the rest of his life. Still probably hard to beat that.
    FFs, you are an ignoramus. Cops in the right PDs who play their cards right can easily double that will regular overtime. And PDs are amenable to doing that because it’s usually cheaper to give people overtime than hire additional cops, and because municipalities usually have caps on the number of cops they have but allow the PDs to have bigger budgets of they bring in more revenue from fines. And their pensions are based their income with the overtime, so if they smart, they load up on it in the years right before they retire.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

FFs, you are an ignoramus. Cops in the right PDs who play their cards right can easily double that will regular overtime. And PDs are amenable to doing that because it’s usually cheaper to give people overtime than hire additional cops, and because municipalities usually have caps on the number of cops they have but allow the PDs to have bigger budgets of they bring in more revenue from fines. And their pensions are based their income with the overtime, so if they smart, they load up on it in the years right before they retire.
    I don't know about this. I will say what happened with my dad and many of the other guys was they were given a nice pay bump/promotion right before they retired, so their retirement would lock in at the higher salary.

Also, he had like a year of vacation time saved up (literally, he had saved up a couple hundred days of vacation over the years) he got to cash out. Like with most things, I am guessing things aren't as good as they were back then though. I agree it isn't something I would ever do, or ever wish on any of my children in todays anti-police atmosphere, but I also recognize even as bad as things are it is still a pretty good gig if you don't have a ton of other options.

Load Metric

I don't know about this. I will say what happened with my dad and many of the other guys was they were given a nice pay bump/promotion right before they retired, so their retirement would lock in at the higher salary.

Also, he had like a year of vacation time saved up (literally, he had saved up a couple hundred days of vacation over the years) he got to cash out. Like with most things, I am guessing things aren't as good as they were back then though. I agree it isn't something I would ever do, or ever wish on any of my children in todays anti-police atmosphere, but I also recognize even as bad as things are it is still a pretty good gig if you don't have a ton of other options.
    Perhaps it depends upon the pension rules for muni/state they work for. Here are some cases where it does bump cop pensions.

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvan...-pension-state
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ees/545759001/
    http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...214-story.html
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...7331c5b88.html

But here’s one where the bump is capped as a percent of regular pay (15%).
    http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...its-tier-6.php
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Perhaps it depends upon the pension rules for muni/state they work for. Here are some cases where it does bump cop pensions.

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvan...-pension-state
    https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...ees/545759001/
    http://www.courant.com/opinion/edito...214-story.html
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...7331c5b88.html

But here’s one where the bump is capped as a percent of regular pay (15%).
    http://www.osc.state.ny.us/retire/me...its-tier-6.php
    Maybe it did. I don't know one way or another. He certainly worked a lot of overtime. They all did. Like you say, it was win-win, the city saved money not having to hire new officers and the officers got a lot of extra income that way. And of course you used the system to maximize your overtime. Like if something happened where you had to write a report you would make sure you were real busy until the end of your shift so you had to stay late to write the report.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Two words. Civil Forfeiture.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Convicted of 3rd Degree Murder and Manslaughter.

Not guilty of 2nd Degree Murder.

Immediately cuffed and taken into custody.

https://kstp.com/news/verdict-reache...5329188/?cat=1

Surprisingly after not speaking to any investigators at all following the shooting, he took the stand in his own defense.

Comments

sonatine: fierce
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Got 12.5 years in the jug, and was likely almost immediately moved to an out-of-state facility.

Name:  noor.png
Views: 166
Size:  273.4 KB
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Thread Information