Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RegGaymer View Post
    The target audience is so much wider than just a boxing match. You're getting all the ufc crowd and all the casuals who don't follow either sport but will still watch it
    yeah but the UFC crowd isn't enough to move the needle PPV wise are they? never ordered a UFC PPV but just guessing the UFC price point is a helluva lot lower than 100 bucks too...sure that's gonna cause a lot of sticker shock to people...

It is about 60 bucks a fight for UFC HD PPV.

I dont think they are going to get that many "casuals" shelling out 100 bucks for this. I see the casuals looking for some kind of stream.

Unless they can put together a solid under card for the boxing purest it is going to fall short. With that said, "falling short" still makes these two a shit load of money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

yeah but the UFC crowd isn't enough to move the needle PPV wise are they? never ordered a UFC PPV but just guessing the UFC price point is a helluva lot lower than 100 bucks too...sure that's gonna cause a lot of sticker shock to people...

It is about 60 bucks a fight for UFC HD PPV.

I dont think they are going to get that many "casuals" shelling out 100 bucks for this. I see the casuals looking for some kind of stream.

Unless they can put together a solid under card for the boxing purest it is going to fall short. With that said, "falling short" still makes these two a shit load of money.
    I have a feeling you're gonna be shocked. It's guys like me & others on this site who will be streaming it because that's what we always do.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Something I find fascinating here is that.....this is basically sanctioned sport WWE. Floyd is so much better, he can practically dictate when the fight ends.

I wonder how this ties into betting. Scripted events like WWE or awards shows etc have very limited amounts on those bets, iirc. This is a "boxing match". Someone mentioned a bit earlier how 88% of the bets are on Connor, but like 90% of the total money is on Floyd. I don't know how deep the props go for this, but can't you just see Floyd dancing around for awhile, then knocking him out in round 7, and then stories about how a few people made some big dough off that specific prop?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Something I find fascinating here is that.....this is basically sanctioned sport WWE. Floyd is so much better, he can practically dictate when the fight ends.

I wonder how this ties into betting. Scripted events like WWE or awards shows etc have very limited amounts on those bets, iirc. This is a "boxing match". Someone mentioned a bit earlier how 88% of the bets are on Connor, but like 90% of the total money is on Floyd. I don't know how deep the props go for this, but can't you just see Floyd dancing around for awhile, then knocking him out in round 7, and then stories about how a few people made some big dough off that specific prop?

from what i gather from the commercials on UK UFC streams, pretty much everyone in the whole of EU has a serious gambling problem and they are all huge conor marks.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric

This is a real sport not a tv show. Your arguement could be made for any major sporting event. Point shaving is a huge offense.

Load Metric
    And that is in no way me guaranteeing that I think everything will be on the up and up. I'm still Sheboon Pickens.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

from what i gather from the commercials on UK UFC streams, pretty much everyone in the whole of EU has a serious gambling problem and they are all huge conor marks.
    yeah, they are the most square of public bettors, Conor punters are. It's like Cowboys on a SNF x's 100

BTW last presser here:

http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post

He probably means that McGregor has never had a professional boxing match.

12/1, lol. Unless Floyd is shot to shit (not likely), it should be 120/1.

So for arguments sake, let's just say that Conor lands that big, bad, powerful left hand. And then let's assume that Floyd doesn't just fall down and die.

The fuck do people think is going to happen then? If Floyd wants to move, and box, and keep Conor away, he'll do it for 12 rounds without breaking a sweat.

Boxing is as much about the feet as it is the hands. The difference in foot speed and placement in this fight is going to be fucking L. O. L.
    What he lacks in footwork and boxing ability, he makes up for in power, size, timing, age, heart and sheer competitive edge.

Don't think he's that much of a dog really

You know what tho, there could be some kind of fix involved with the kind of money at stake, gotta factor that into the equation too.
    What he lacks in boxing ability you can't just "make up for" when you're fighting the best boxer on the planet.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JMM View Post
    What he lacks in footwork and boxing ability, he makes up for in power, size, timing, age, heart and sheer competitive edge.

Don't think he's that much of a dog really

You know what tho, there could be some kind of fix involved with the kind of money at stake, gotta factor that into the equation too.
    What he lacks in boxing ability you can't just "make up for" when you're fighting the best boxer on the planet.

Yeahhhhh but, as RegGaymer is acutely aware, the flatness of the earth will negate whatever mobility advantage Floyd has.

Comments

JMM:

SrslySirius: pffftthehehueheue

Hockey Guy: It's not flat, it's concave.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    The "quitter" remarks do seem to bother Conor some.

Load Metric
    Fl"Odin" Mayweather vs. The No"Thor"ious Conor McGregor

Conor's only chance is if God takes a dive.

Load Metric

"Casuals" are what turn a million selling ppv into 4.6 mill, or whatever May-Pac did. Casual people are 100% the market for this fight. Hell, look at UFC ppvs. There are 250,000 hardcore fans who buy almost anything. there are another 250Kish who'll buy great cards. People like Conor and Ronda could draw in casuals to the tune of more than a million extra buys for a card. Those are all casuals.

Fights are for the fans of the sport. Massive "events", such as this one, are squarely aimed at the casuals, because the hardcore fans are already in.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

"Casuals" are what turn a million selling ppv into 4.6 mill, or whatever May-Pac did. Casual people are 100% the market for this fight. Hell, look at UFC ppvs. There are 250,000 hardcore fans who buy almost anything. there are another 250Kish who'll buy great cards. People like Conor and Ronda could draw in casuals to the tune of more than a million extra buys for a card. Those are all casuals.

Fights are for the fans of the sport. Massive "events", such as this one, are squarely aimed at the casuals, because the hardcore fans are already in.

you may very well be right and that is a sound argument.

Load Metric
    $100 is a lot of money tho, casual or no.

Load Metric
    The promotion is selling sponsorship for the event, presumably everything they can slap a name on and get paid for. They claim they made an extra $25 million on the Pac/May fight on sponsor money, and are selling this as a 7 million PPV buy card.

A month ago people would have laughed at that number. They're not laughing anymore. Doesn't mean it will happen obv, but seems like a lock to crush the record.

The charismatic Irish great white hope against the black villain who's never got his comeuppance?

Pacquiao didn't even help promote his fight, really. This time, the full promotional machines of multiple organizations are gonna do their thing, and they're kinda great at it. The 24/7 is gonna be great. So will any UFC embedded things. Showtime knows how to handle huge fights. End of summer viewing parties for millions of people before school, football, etc start back up in September. Perfect storm.

Load Metric
    It was clear that Mayweather had run out of material as he recycled the same lines he delivered on his previous stops. With a raucous London audience shouting down Mayweather, the 49-0 boxer dug into his Gucci backpack and pulled out the worst possible insult.

“You punk, you faggot, you ho!” Mayweather barked.

Money catching a lot of heat for that.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    $100 is a lot of money tho, casual or no.
    It is, but most people's cable bill is already approaching 200 a month, what's another $100?

Comments

sonatine: point

Load Metric
    Article criticizing Connor causing a little controversy in Ireland.

Basically because It's from an Irish publication and the Micks pretty much see it as treason that they're taking shots at one of their own.

Snippet

The worldwide press tour ahead of Jose Aldo proved to be a nadir in public discourse. In Rio de Janeiro, McGregor bloviated:

I own this town, I own Rio de Janeiro. I would invade his favela on horseback and would kill anyone who wasn’t fit to work, but we’re in a new time, so I’ll whoop his ass instead.
    https://www.balls.ie/mma/conor-mcgre...hetoric-369176
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    Usually third rate countries bend over backwards to support their only relevant sport person

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Only seen this today

Goat advert

Comments

Crowe Diddly: that was actually funny rep

Thread Information