Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency

Platinum
    Load Metric

NBA Free Agency

I don't give two shits about the NBA usually but Steph Curry just became the highest paid player in pro sports at 5/201m holy shit. Time for the Warriors to start paying up and not getting these guys for nothing anymore. But 40 fing million a year is insane. Blake Griffin just got 34.5m making him 2nd highest AAV ever.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm not huge on basketball but don't they say that all the miles on the legs really fuck with jump shooters the most?

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I don't always not give a fuck about the NBA but when I do I make threads about it 4 months before the season starts on third tier poker sites.

Comments

varys: You aint cool til you dont care but know the specifics of blakes contract
    Last edited by Brittney Griner's Clit; 06-30-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    *blake...that contract is gonna be AIDS in 3 years (if not sooner)...but when you have 20 billy in the bank it doesn't matter...
    *Indiana...wow...you panicked before you let others panic if they whiff on free agency...
    *OKC...I get that they didn't give up any meaningful assets, but unless a couple of teams in the west contract AIDS they have no shot...
    *patty mills...4/50...amazing this is the new NBA...jesus
    *Minnesota...looking to get Reddick in addition to signing Teague...they make that happen, they could be sexy...
    *boston...god help me if they don't get Gordon...
    *Houston...morey gets blown for being the best GM...so you trade for a PG so you can take the ball out of the hands of one of the most efficient players in the league...great move numbnuts...
    *wall...crazy he's getting 42/year...I mean he's a great player and stuff, but jesus Christ...

espn just showed that 13 of their top 15 players are in the west now...regular season is gonna be shit unless the Celtics pull off some miracle to be actually competitive in the east...

Comments

Serial Fail: Boston isn't getting Gordon, bitch

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Wait what Wizards offer John Wall 4/170 extension??? 42.5m a year!

This is nuts.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

This is nuts.
    welcome to the new insanity of the NBA...this is why over 100 people lost their jobs at ESPN...

EDIT: and they just said on ESPN that he still has 2 years left on his current deal, so add that in it comes to something like 6/205 (I think) so it's bigger in absolute terms than curry's deal...chew on that nugget made of absolute craziness...

Load Metric
    The Cavs owner was hit with a record $54 million luxury tax bill last year after they won the title. With NBA revenue down this year, the soft cap only went up 5% to $99 mil for 2017/18. Becauce new cba allows for 8%/yr pay raises in all these 5yr cotracts, lots of teams going to get fucked over the next few years. Hell, Golden state is going to use up most of the 99Mil cap on their four allstars.

Teams carry 15 players, so you'll see lots of league minimum ring chasers sitting on golden states bench.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anchordraw View Post
    The Cavs owner was hit with a record $54 million luxury tax bill last year after they won the title. With NBA revenue down this year, the soft cap only went up 5% to $99 mil for 2017/18. Becauce new cba allows for 8%/yr pay raises in all these 5yr cotracts, lots of teams going to get fucked over the next few years. Hell, Golden state is going to use up most of the 99Mil cap on their four allstars.

Teams carry 15 players, so you'll see lots of league minimum ring chasers sitting on golden states bench.
    they were saying on espn that if the warriors stay in tact that down the road they could end up having a payroll of $400M when you include luxury tax and repeater penalties...

another little nugget of NBA insanity for ya...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Pacers traded Paul George to OKC for Oladipo and Sabonis. OKC solidifies its position as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the West, and the Pacers solidify their status as a 7th or 8th seed non-contender. Yawn.

Comments

Serial Fail: LMFAO. 2nd or 3rd best team in the West? You're fuckin clueless.
    HILLARY WON

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Pacers traded Paul George to OKC for Oladipo and Sabonis. OKC solidifies its position as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the West, and the Pacers solidify their status as a 7th or 8th seed non-contender. Yawn.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    So far the Knicks are the biggest winners lol

Diamond
    Load Metric

CUCK MUCH???

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    HongKonger JFC stay out of NBA threads. Who the hell is going to pull this team to the 8th seed? Are you aware PG had them at 7 last season? This is stuff you can learn from Stephen A Smith, let alone actually watching the NBA (you clearly never have)

Think of tydes value in the trump thread. Thats you on basketball. Stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I kind of understand the Steph Curry thing. I mean, this is one of the best NBA teams in history, and the impact of a superstar on an NBA team is just huge.

But John Wall at over $40m/year? LOL

I don't like the whole NBA superteam concept, though.

Does anyone expect the Warriors not to win it all again?

Barring injury, will anyone else come out of the west?

Also, Lebron will be 33. The slow decline will start. There really won't be anyone in the east to make the Finals interesting.

Look at the beatdown we saw this year.

The NBA's attempt to insure competitiveness via salary cap rules has turned out to be a failure.

Load Metric
    The top players like Lebron, Currey, Durant etc. Would make $60_70 Mil/yr if there was no cap, no luxury tax, so there actually under paid. Its the guys that most people never see on TV, (because even if ESPN shows there game, nobody would watch) but might be the 20th-30th best player in the league that are over paid. With 30 teams needing to spend at least 90% of the 99Mil cap, lots of marginal players gonna get paid big bucks.

The big market teams can afford to exceed the soft cap, pay the tax, and load up with three or four high priced players. Some small market teams are going just give up trying to compete. The NBA divides the tax money in a crazy formula, designed to keep the small market teams froml losing money. Basically about 50% of the luxury tax go to the NBA, to spend on who knows, while the other50% is divided evenly by 30 and a nice check goes back to each team.

The cba is more about keeping/allowing all 30 teams to at least break even or make some profit, then it is about insuring every has a chance to win a title.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I kind of understand the Steph Curry thing. I mean, this is one of the best NBA teams in history, and the impact of a superstar on an NBA team is just huge.

Also, Lebron will be 33. The slow decline will start. There really won't be anyone in the east to make the Finals interesting.

The NBA's attempt to insure competitiveness via salary cap rules has turned out to be a failure.
    The warriors are the biggest pre season favorites in any sport ever at -200

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post

This is nuts.
    welcome to the new insanity of the NBA...this is why over 100 people lost their jobs at ESPN...

EDIT: and they just said on ESPN that he still has 2 years left on his current deal, so add that in it comes to something like 6/205 (I think) so it's bigger in absolute terms than curry's deal...chew on that nugget made of absolute craziness...

It is all about the new money average, the 2 years left mean nothing as far as new money AAV. That goes for any sport.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The problem is this in no way resembles a free market capped system, it is a "slotted" system where you will have basically no negotiating, and inferior players qualifying for these ridiculous slots depending on seniority. Kind of like all of our great unions in this country! We see how well that has worked out. You have "max" players" who aren't max players, and the trickle down effect for lesser players is very real. It is like every player is an NFL QB.

This is why the players essentially run the league. Again, just like a good union of employees making demands they have no business making. They should start firing all the coaches, I mean what good are they except another big salary that could go to the players.

Load Metric
    Ffs WALL is the best two way pg in the league you idiots

Thread Information