Thread: Terrence Chan was asked if he could beat me in heads up limit holdem on 2+2 Pokercast

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Terrence Chan was asked if he could beat me in heads up limit holdem on 2+2 Pokercast

You can listen at about the 1:51:00 mark on Pokercast #4. Someone e-mailed them and asked that question (clearly a PFA listener).

Terrence at first tried to avoid the question by simply stating that we didn't play much together (which is true), and that I was a "definite winner" on Pokerstars in the 30-60 to 100-200 range (also true).

Then Adam Schwartz, who listens to PFA every week, wouldn't let Terrence off the hook and asked him who wins in a fictitious heads up limit holdem death match.

Terrence still wouldn't directly answer, but said that he "likes his spot against anyone from the 2007 era".

It's probably true that Terrence had more experience heads up than me back in the pre-Black-Friday days, but I played a lot of heads up against good players on sites like Merge and Bovada since then, and got a lot better.

So could 2017 Dan Druff beat 2017 Terrence Chan heads up?

I don't know. I still think it would mostly be a draw, and basically come down to who ran better.

Unrelated to this, Terrence was to my direct left on Day 2 of the $10k Limit Holdem this year. We both entered short, but I ran terribly and was out quickly, while Terrence lost the first hand but then won every pot he played after that. Terrence then rocketed up to chip leader, then held as second chip leader, before finishing a disappointing 7th (presumably running bad, but I didn't watch what happened).

But I'd still take his result in that event over mine in a heartbeat.

I remember as I saw him win hand after hand that day, "Damnit... why couldn't those same cards be one spot over to the right?"

Then again, I'm sure Eric Froehlich was thinking the same thing, as he was on the other side of Terrence, also ran horribly, and also didn't cash.

I didn't play any hands with Terrence.

Load Metric
    You probably both play the same. HU lhe is cracked.

Load Metric
    inb4 Marvin comes and tells Druff he sucks.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Also, All LHE heads up (or any heads up for that matter) comes down to who runs better.

just ask Andy Beal.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You can listen at about the 1:51:00 mark on Pokercast #4. Someone e-mailed them and asked that question (clearly a PFA listener).

Terrence at first tried to avoid the question by simply stating that we didn't play much together (which is true), and that I was a "definite winner" on Pokerstars in the 30-60 to 100-200 range (also true).

Then Adam Schwartz, who listens to PFA every week, wouldn't let Terrence off the hook and asked him who wins in a fictitious heads up limit holdem death match.

Terrence still wouldn't directly answer, but said that he "likes his spot against anyone from the 2007 era".

It's probably true that Terrence had more experience heads up than me back in the pre-Black-Friday days, but I played a lot of heads up against good players on sites like Merge and Bovada since then, and got a lot better.

So could 2017 Dan Druff beat 2017 Terrence Chan heads up?

I don't know. I still think it would mostly be a draw, and basically come down to who ran better.

Unrelated to this, Terrence was to my direct left on Day 2 of the $10k Limit Holdem this year. We both entered short, but I ran terribly and was out quickly, while Terrence lost the first hand but then won every pot he played after that. Terrence then rocketed up to chip leader, then held as second chip leader, before finishing a disappointing 7th (presumably running bad, but I didn't watch what happened).

But I'd still take his result in that event over mine in a heartbeat.

I remember as I saw him win hand after hand that day, "Damnit... why couldn't those same cards be one spot over to the right?"

Then again, I'm sure Eric Froehlich was thinking the same thing, as he was on the other side of Terrence, also ran horribly, and also didn't cash.

I didn't play any hands with Terrence.
    I heard that as well, and had there been PFA radio this week I was going to text in to get your response. I was wondering what you thought of being referred to as someone "from the 2007 era". I wasn't the one that emailed them the question but thought it was a nice little plug for Poker Fraud Alert.

Terrence and you are both smart guys and good players, so your answers were both diplomatic as expected...seems like in following a lot of the WSOP action this year, running good at the right time is just about the most important thing, especially in the limit events.

Load Metric

Comments

Crowe Diddly: classic video rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Funny, I watched a little of that Yebsite match again, and some of my own play I would do differently today.

For example, I folded T6o to a raise when I was on the BB. I would have called that today.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Druff. Is poker still your main source of income, or do you have some sort of other income stream doing the heavy lifting now? I honestly do not even know if it is possible to make a living grinding mid limit poker anymore and am curious.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Okay. I will confess to asking the question.

Reason

Although I am slightly older than Todd, I don't have any links to the 'poker' world.

I have been listening to the pokercast for many years and found this show fairly recently. Both fit in nicely with my present commuting.

I guess my question was back in the day just to get a feel of the level of both players. I actually assumed that Todd would be a slight favorite these days due to Terrence not playing much.

Answering the question was the first time I had heard Terrence stutter. Is this a tell or did he just feel uncomfortable answering the question.

he give the impression that he thought he would be a slight favorite now though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Druff. Is poker still your main source of income, or do you have some sort of other income stream doing the heavy lifting now? I honestly do not even know if it is possible to make a living grinding mid limit poker anymore and am curious.

I still earn $ playing poker.. I use huds and seat scripters and angle shoot.. sit out all the time and refuse to play anyone with a modicum of talent.. does that make me a "pro"?
    NOT

On a side note on my 6 withdraw in 2 months playing on global poker.

Thread Information