Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altcoins / Blockchain / Crypto

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    Lol at claiming a cryptocurrency can maintain a pegged value. There are some ways it can sort of be done. I have no clue about minexcoin or how they claim they'll do it.

I don't really keep up with this stuff much. Too much noise and I'm too busy. I wish I had time for my own ICO because I've had ideas far better than tons of these with a whitepaper already written on my google drive. Unfortunately I'm working on a startup already.

ETH is probably a better investment than BTC for a variety of reasons. People just put their money into what they trust. ETH has been around for some time and is widely known. Lots more usecases than these other tokens. Also it is POS which is likely superior. YOu pay 5% a year tax on BTC and the electricity used to mine BTC scales with the price. That is just a most awful property given global warming. Thats my personal peeve, but in general ETH is just better and has a ton of social proof.

The big marketcaps are all about social proof and trusting the tech.

I wouldn't suggest anyone buy in right now. ETH may very well never go down again, but I don't give advice unless I know it is a lock. I'd say ETH will perform better than BTC, but that doesn't mean anyone should buy it at this point. My last purchases of ETH was at $70 and I felt nervous after that.

Even if ETH has problems now there are tons of work being done around it. I expect ETH to break the 1:2 price with BTC.

People thought POW was great, now people have realized that it just threw in a bunch of fucked up incentives that keep the tech from advancing. Doh!

Thats about all the thoughts I have at the moment.

THere may be a better smartcontract blockchain around the corner that will take over, or perhaps a truly anonymous currency.

So .. divest from BTC into ETH, but no suggestion on what to buy with USD cept weed.

the thing i find intriguing about going long on eth is that btc has set something of an emotional baseline for what CC can be priced at, and eth has a lot more room to grow into that paradigm than btc does.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Hoser also posted a thread linking to the NEM/XEM (4th largest coin) start-up fund in January 14', which has gone up from something like a ~$35 initial investment into ~$450,000 for those who bought in to that and are still holding.

And not to take anything away from that, but he was promoting it as something of an affiliate, so he got his initial $35 block of coins for free. (He said he sold eventually sold them for a little over $3k.)

But that's a major factor to the future success of any new coin, the marketing and promotion. Most of these coins serve little unique purpose that a larger more established coin couldn't fulfill. Which makes it hard to believe in any of them in terms of actual utility.

Most of these altcoins are supported by the greater fool theory. By all the people who missed the boat on bitcoin and think wow I want to be a millionaire out of thin air.

I have a buddy who recently invested in Ripple's XRP, he misunderstood the recent news about it and wrongly believes his XRP tokens buy him a share of a company that is going to deal with banks and google, and he's convinced the coin will go from .30 cents to $30 by years end, which would mean a $100,000,000 market cap on a companies project token before the technology has even been properly tested.

But Ripple is being used for ICOs, so in the short term I like it, as well as ethereum until the bubble pops.

These ICOs are making it even harder to properly valuate these blockchain technologies. This is at the 42 minute mark of the conversation that Corrigan posted.

"Does that mean that people are going to be incentivized to just create more and more different types of cryptocurrency and then reserve to try to capture that.. or?"

"That's exactly what's happening. So I wrote a post on this called the bitcoin model for crowd funding - and this was a couple of years back - and I thought these things called app-coins would show up. Where for every application, rather than going and raising VC funding you just attach a coin to it and crowdfund it. And that's kind of what's happening now with what they call ICOs, initial coin offerings, and there have been hundreds and hundreds of these, and it's a little bubbly, in fact it's very bubbly, a lot of them are getting bid up out of control. Some of it comes from the fact a that a few of these protocols do need their own tokens, they can't use bitcoin, but most of the times its just the developers having incentive to create the token bolted on to try to capture the value. But it's an interesting model for funding open-source software and protocols that didn't really exist before."

Recently in the news was the web browser maker Brave, founded by former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich, which raised $35 million from its Basic Attention Token ICO in 30 seconds.

All I could find were people discussing the dev team and the past projects of the founder.

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece View Post
    I can see going from $3 to $30 or more in short order.
    Isn't the growth capped?

Why you should join

MinexCoin (MNC) is different from other altcoins because it’s a stable low-volatility cryptocurrency with fixed annual growth. MinexCoin’s growth is pegged to per annum growth of 10 cryptocurrencies with highest market caps. As per 2016 this growth was indexed at 33,6%. It does not matter if you want to use MNC for trading, longterm investment or day-to-day financial activities, with MNC you will always be gaining value.

Load Metric
    So BTC had some utility after all. We can buy other crypto with it. Am I wrong in thinking that this is the case? Can I buy these alts with fiat?

Henry is a god. Drop some baseball observations please.

Initially, I objected to the idea of a new thread as crypto needs to be contained. Thread has delivered however.

Comments

sonatine: soulful belly laughs... SBL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    So BTC had some utility after all. We can buy other crypto with it. Am I wrong in thinking that this is the case? Can I buy these alts with fiat?

Henry is a god. Drop some baseball observations please.

Initially, I objected to the idea of a new thread as crypto needs to be contained. Thread has delivered however.
    there is so much blindly emotive evangelism in the other thread, its nice to have one where a calm, rational discourse about how donkdown bitcoins are can take place, and how to warm ones financial hands over the embers.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    No, you're not wrong, you can't buy them directly with fiat. I've been trying to buy alts for the better part of five days. It's a slow process, and pretty confusing. Lots of fees. I started out optimistic, but I'm getting pretty turned off and angry by the experience. I'm not seeing how this is better than banks.

edit: check out this dude spazzing out on the bitcoin forum

uuuugh jeez man.

The point to a currency is usage.
    So how the fucking hell is a currency even going to work if each person has the own coin ?

FAIL.

That is not how currencies work guys.. this shit failed bad.. game over.

I find it pretty damn funny there is 4,500 users when i recently looked at night here..
    Then in the day time i seen 8,500 roughly logged in.
    Meanwhile there is 1 million+ accounts and over 10,000 ANN topics.

ALTCOINS
    ... ....

People do keep making them.. and i have no interest in stopping them.
    What i take issue with is the facade that they are "coins"
    AKA: a currency.

They can't be if they are not used as such.

And none of them are.
    So if they aren't then what are they then ?
    A fake currency traded on Poloniex for nothing at all but profits.

And how do people get profits ?
    By starting a new one over & over and buying the coins cheap then dumping then on the next schmuck.

AKA: The greater fools game.

This shit is a fucked up pathetic joke
    And i refuse to contribute to the rape of the word "currency"
    She has had enough.. get off her you dirty pigs before i call the cops !

You are all god damn crypto-rapists !
    Yikes!

Comments

sonatine: making some points there to his credit
    Last edited by Henry; 06-09-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Load Metric
    Do any of you folks know a etherium wallet that would equate electrum?
    IE: cross platform (i need windows and linux, extra credit if there is an android client but not needed)
    and of course I hold my private keys, not some dumb website

Load Metric
    Minexcoin is capped +/- 5% per day! so in theory can still appreciate XXX-XXXX% per annum.

We shall see, like I said it's essentially costing a bad night at some 5/10 lol

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by blubbernuffle View Post
    Do any of you folks know a etherium wallet that would equate electrum?
    IE: cross platform (i need windows and linux, extra credit if there is an android client but not needed)
    and of course I hold my private keys, not some dumb website

Food for thought; the further you stray from the more widely adopted wallet apps, the deeper into the jungle you get and cryptocoin boards are rife with tales of people who got fleeced by trojaned or outright malicious wallet software. Like really recently btw.

Question: why cant you use the 'best in slot' wallet for each respective operating system and simply use geth or something to transfer balances to a consolidation point?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    ETH almost at 330...I think I may be a little late to the fucking party...

man I'm kicking myself over this one...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

Not late just bigger risk, buy!

Load Metric

vice just did a piece on how to eth mine, literally just months before mining is dead for eth.

honestly i think there is still a lot of room to grow. im cashing out at like $260 and charging it to the game or riding this to $650'ish and seeing whether or not it can break that emotional barrier from the sidelines.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

vice just did a piece on how to eth mine, literally just months before mining is dead for eth.

honestly i think there is still a lot of room to grow. im cashing out at like $260 and charging it to the game or riding this to $650'ish and seeing whether or not it can break that emotional barrier from the sidelines.
    just curious, why $650...again I consider buying any of these an almost outright gamble at this point...I don't mind a gamble, but id rather not take it totally up the ass on a gamble...so if I could get in in the low 2s (seemingly LOL at this point) i'd figure why the fuck not...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

just curious, why $650...again I consider buying any of these an almost outright gamble at this point...I don't mind a gamble, but id rather not take it totally up the ass on a gamble...so if I could get in in the low 2s (seemingly LOL at this point) i'd figure why the fuck not...
    - I consider it a fairly organic break point just based on intuition and if it goes from $650 to say $725, I feel there is enough fuel to take it to up to BTC levels so I'll jump back on

- I will have turned a fairly substantial profit at that point and will want to consider other possible CC investments

- Based on current growth I think that's where its going to end up around the time they fork to PoS and kill mining, and coincidentally I think the GPU/difficulty equation reaches a tipping point at around that time as well.

I pay push the eject button soon or later based primarily on the 3rd set of metrics or if unforeseen circumstances come up, obvos, but we're just talking about this, we're just speaking.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    cool thanks for the opinion...appreciate that you and others here are more plugged into this shit than I am...

I mean ETH is up over 40% since last week...not putting the rent money on this shit, but fuck wouldn't mind a little extra scratch for some sorta gadget from this...

Comments

sonatine: this is exactly my take as well

Load Metric
    if i had to guess, a bunch of automated sells just kicked in at 350.

Load Metric
    Ya, damn been a gooood week for me Recall I said I dumped most all into ETH, now I am planning cash out strats lol

Thread Information