Thread: Watch bratty California high school kid have meltdown in Physics class

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Watch bratty California high school kid have meltdown in Physics class

This took place at Eastside High School (sounds like a fake school from a TV show) in Lancaster, CA.

The student is named Gideon Yapp. The teacher's name is Dr. Franklin Hsu, and this occurred in physics class.

Some internet stories are claiming this meltdown was over a "failing grade", but there is no evidence in this video that's what happened. I think some clickbait site just made that up, and others ran with it.

Still, it's very possible this is about grades.

Physics is not a required course in high school. It is typically taken voluntarily by students who excel at math -- usually the same ones who take calculus (and often taught by the same teacher). It's also usually not taken until one's senior year.

So this is odd in several ways, besides the strangeness of the bratty kid's meltdown itself.

If young Gideon is really a senior, what could have set him off so badly during what is likely one of his final days of high school?

If this is about grades, why is he so upset? Colleges rarely care about grades in your second semester of high school, as students have already been accepted, and colleges typically do not place much (or any) importance on what happens after acceptance.

Why is Dr. Hsu -- who likely holds a doctorate in mathematics or physics -- teaching high school in a place like Lancaster? Surely there must be better and more rewarding jobs out there for someone with a doctorate in math or physics. I've seen high school teachers with doctorates before, but typically they hold their doctorate in an "unemployable" field such as English. I've never seen a math or physics teacher with a doctorate. It happens, but it's unusual.

The kid who originally posted the video took it down and deleted his Twitter.

Gideon Yapp, upon being identified by the internet, has deleted all social media.

The school released a brief statement:

We take this type of situation very seriously. Our teachers’ safety is of the utmost importance to us. The incident has been investigated and appropriate action by school administration has been taken.

Lancaster is located about 50 miles north of Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley, and is part of the "Antelope Valley", a sprawling desert community with relatively cheap real estate for people who can't afford to buy homes in Los Angeles. Many people who live in Lancaster (and its neighbor city Palmdale) endure a brutal, traffic-heavy drive to Los Angeles daily for work. Most residents there would be living in Los Angeles if they could afford equivalent housing there.

Lancaster/Palmdale exploded in population in the '80s and '90s as Los Angeles real estate prices went through the roof. The two cities also experienced a gang problem, as families which moved out of the bad areas of Los Angeles to "get away from the gangs" did so in such large numbers that new gangs formed in the Antelope Valley.

The weather in Lancaster/Palmdale is also not as good as LA, as it's frequently very windy, and is much cooler in the winter, experiencing occasional snowstorms.

Comments

OSA: would fuck

Load Metric
    I'll take the under on one month of college before he gets his ass handed to him at a bar or party.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    I'll take the under on one month of college before he gets his ass handed to him at a bar or party.

I would handle his ass at any bar or party.

Comments

shortbuspoker: well played sir

MumblesBadly: Don't get your pubes caught in his braces!

chinamaniac: rofl

Load Metric
    One of the other students should have clocked him in the face.

Disrespectful punk.

Load Metric
    re: Lancaster gang problem

Lancaster has a lot of Section 8 housing, probably more than any other area of So Cal except for S. Central LA--indeed, a lot of S Central people were relocated there due to welfare Section 8

it's an old story: you can take people out of the slum, but you can't take the slum out of people
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The teacher's name is Dr. Franklin Hsu,...

Why is Dr. Hsu -- who likely holds a doctorate in mathematics or physics -- teaching high school in a place like Lancaster? Surely there must be better and more rewarding jobs out there for someone with a doctorate in math or physics. I've seen high school teachers with doctorates before, but typically they hold their doctorate in an "unemployable" field such as English. I've never seen a math or physics teacher with a doctorate. It happens, but it's unusual.
    My money is on that Dr. Hsu got a perfunctory 'doctorate' after already being a science teacher in order to qualify for a higher pay grade per the school district's compensaion practices. Such degrees are relatively easy to get for someone who is moderately competent in the subject and willing to put the time in, even if labeled as "physics" or "mathematics", from certain institutions, such as a modern diploma mill like the University of Phoenix.

Also, while sounding inpressive, auch doctorates only require taking some courses and writing a more advanced paper than a master's thesis. Unlike for a Ph.D., getting a doctorate generally does not require doing original research or learning advanced research methods, but merely researching a topic to a high or advanced level and writing a paper on it, such as an survey paper that reports on the state of current research in a topic within the field. The key difference is that a doctorate merely indicates *some* expertise on a topic within a field, while a Ph.D. Is meant to train someone to continue researching in the field. That's why you will sometimes see medical doctors also having a Ph.D. degree. The M.D. is meant to signal that the person can *practice* medicine, while the Ph.D. indicates that the person is trained to do research to advance the state of knowledge within the field.

BTW, what was your source for Hsu's doctorate field? You said 'likely'.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Lancaster has a cold semi-arid steppe climate which is less hot and more rainy than a typical arid climate classification.

Thread Information