Thread: A quick reminder here on Memorial Day

Load Metric

A quick reminder here on Memorial Day

Just a quick reminder that Shakespeare in Love won the Oscar for best picture over Saving Private Ryan back in 1999.

You almost have to think it was another Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty situation that the academy didn't want to correct so they just said fuck it and went with it.

Load Metric
    serious bed shitting by the oscar fags

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Just a quick reminder that Shakespeare in Love won the Oscar for best picture over Saving Private Ryan back in 1999.

You almost have to think it was another Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty situation that the academy didn't want to correct so they just said fuck it and went with it.
    Shakespeare in Love was good, but Saving Private Ryan was GOD.

#EarnThis
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    both movies sucked, baseketball shouldl have won

Load Metric
    The best picture almost never wins Best Picture. The Oscar always goes to a solid but not great picture that's more conventional or popular than the actual best picture.

1997: Titanic won over LA Confidential
    1994: Fucking Forrest Gump won over Pulp Fiction
    1968: Oliver! won over 2001: A Space Odyssey
    1941: How Green Was My Valley won over Citizen Kane

etc.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    both movies sucked, baseketball shouldl have won
    If we are going there at least go with "A thin red line".

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    The best picture almost never wins Best Picture. The Oscar always goes to a solid but not great picture that's more conventional or popular than the actual best picture.

etc.
    Titanic wasn't even the second best movie that year (The Usual Suspects)

Load Metric
    I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater with my Grandpa (RIP) who served in WW2, and he cried the whole time. Very powerful movie.

As far as Titanic goes, my mom's cousin saw it in the theater 6-8 times (I don't remember the exact amount). I believe I remember this being somewhat common. Women thinking Titanic is the greatest thing ever, and seeing it 5+ times in the theater. So I guess that one was powerful too among certain people.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SetofKs View Post
    I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater with my Grandpa (RIP) who served in WW2, and he cried the whole time. Very powerful movie.

As far as Titanic goes, my mom's cousin saw it in the theater 6-8 times (I don't remember the exact amount). I believe I remember this being somewhat common. Women thinking Titanic is the greatest thing ever, and seeing it 5+ times in the theater. So I guess that one was powerful too among certain people.
    Absolute Shit the Bed moment by the academy snubbing SPR. Made no sense then. Makes less sense now.

I think both LA Confidential and The Usuall Suspects were better movies than Titanic in many ways. That said Titanic had a couple of decent leading actors and all the technical awards were well deserved. You also can't ignore the gate that movie did. There were Friday and a Saturday nights 4-6 weeks into the run where the move was sold out. Titanic caught the power of the middle age woman and it paid off one time.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric

Wow! I bet that totally ruined the movie for you. What an asshole.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

etc.
    Titanic wasn't even the second best movie that year (The Usual Suspects)
    I'd forgotten Usual Suspects was that year.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric

Absolute Shit the Bed moment by the academy snubbing SPR. Made no sense then. Makes less sense now.

I think both LA Confidential and The Usuall Suspects were better movies than Titanic in many ways. That said Titanic had a couple of decent leading actors and all the technical awards were well deserved. You also can't ignore the gate that movie did. There were Friday and a Saturday nights 4-6 weeks into the run where the move was sold out. Titanic caught the power of the middle age woman and it paid off one time.
    To me Tiranic is two movies. The first half a poorly done romantic drama and the second half a technically impressive dramatization of the sinking. First half sucked, second half was fascinating.
    HILLARY WON

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Titanic actually caught the power of the teenage girl (who is now the middle aged woman) more than it did the 1997 middle aged woman.

Many teen girls went to go see the film 15 times (not exaggerating), because they loved Leo and the sappy romantic story.

It's also often forgotten that Titanic was predicted to be an embarrassing flop. Its $200 million price tag was seen as insurmountable, its November release date was not planned (it was supposed to be a summer film, but ran into technical delays with the FX), and the buzz around it was very poor.

Its success was not only a shock to the industry, but it also temporarily fueled a flurry of movies aimed at teenagers, seeking to cash in on that mostly-ignored market.

Related thread: https://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sh...being-big-hits

Thread Information