Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New rule: No content from 2+2 allowed to be reposted here

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

New rule: No content from 2+2 allowed to be reposted here

Mason Malmuth's lawyer e-mailed me on March 31 with a demand to cease posting (and to cease allowing others to post) 2+2 content on this site.

I did not see the e-mail until today, because he sent it to an e-mail address I rarely check.

While the vast, vast majority of posts on this site do NOT contain 2+2 content, I told the lawyer that I was willing to comply with this demand.

Therefore, when posting any content from 2+2 in the future, please only post links to the thread or specific post.

The letter did state an allowance of "brief snippets of Two Plus Two’s content for commentary purposes", referring to the concept of Fair Use. However, while not defined by the e-mail, I would like these "brief snippets" to contain no more than a few sentences. If more than that, please simply link the 2+2 thread or post.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Load Metric
    Maybe if you post 2+2 content and then write an apology letter you'll get free advertisement in the form of a stickied thread for a few years.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    What constitutes 2p2 content? Random posts?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    What constitutes 2p2 content? Random posts?
    Basically they are demanding that no post from 2+2 may be copied and pasted over here.

The only exceptions are "brief snippets", which I am taking to mean something a few sentences long.

So unless what you're replicating is extremely short (a few sentences), please do not copy anything from 2+2 over here.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You gonna let that bully stop and tell you how to run your forum Druff?

People can't help it if the biggest poker forum where a lot of information first drops is ran by some ass hat dictator.

Mason don't run the internet.

<insert Fuck Mason Malmuth sound clip>

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

People can't help it if the biggest poker forum where a lot of information first drops is ran by some ass hat dictator.

Unfortunately, reproduction of web text content is a tough thing to deal with, and there have been many expensive legal battles fought over this.

I don't want to fight such a legal battle.

If Mason doesn't want 2+2 stuff copy/pasted here, then I won't allow it.

I will, however, always defend this site's right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression. I would never let Mason or anyone else tell me how to run this forum. I am only making this chance specifically about copy/pasting 2+2 posts over here.

Load Metric
    As long as we're still allowed to call David Sklansky the nonce that he is. Then I don't give a fuck.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: Crux of the thing rep

Load Metric
    LOL at Druff caving in.

Tell Greenberg Taurig, et al. to go fuck themselves.

is the content on 2+2 copyrighted in any way? like in there terms of service does it say that any posts you make are now property of 2+2?

my guess is.....(and i haven't looked yet)...... NO

seriously im fucking rolling over here in laughter. You talk a big game, but then Mason comes and throws you a muzzle and you WILLINGLY put it on.

seriously though, that's fucking harassment. i'd tell him that if he keeps contacting you about this you'll have Alvin Finklestein on his ass in a heart beat.

edit:
    Alvin aside, for real, this is harassment. how can they dictate what others post here? What if i go search and find 2+2 shit on Pocket 5's? or RealGrinders (well they haven't accepted me yet). are they getting letters too? NO THEYRE NOT. ONLY YOU ARE. BECAUSE MASON HATES YOU. so it's harassment.

you can't selectively enforce a rule that isn't even a rule.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Shut up Larry.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I also told the attorney that I was a bit surprised by this request, because PFA has been up for over 5 years, and they never complained before, despite being very aware of our site's existence (and often reading it).

I told him that I had always assumed that, given that a link was almost always placed at the bottom of anything copy/pasted from 2+2, along with the fact that they were aware of this for years, they were okay with it.

Apparently not.

Comments

LarryLaffer: id have deleted that email and claimed i never got it. tell them to send it certified.

Load Metric
    This is a baffling and empty demand.

So basically do not exercise your freedom of speech about something someone said on another forum? This nonsense has no application in law out side of obvious infringement, nor is it enforceable logically/practically. Their "content" is essentially public information accessed by the world. The only leg he could have to stand on is it is a paid for private forum with sharing policy and or he claims all "content" including his members posted/thoughts as his material, legally.

I have been online for over 2 decades and never heard anything like this. No doubt this guy just doesn't like you or I am dead wrong and if so god help us what country are you/we in.

Alternatively can you make the same demand of him? Heck why stop there, just hit ever forum you find that discussed what we discussed here and send a C&D or demand for damages.

Comments

LarryLaffer: druff missing big picture. that was his chance to tell mason to gfh
    Last edited by DonaldTrumpsHairPiece; 05-26-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    but then Mason comes and throws you a muzzle and you WILLINGLY put it on.
    Nothing is being muzzled.

The only change involves copy/pasted content from 2+2.

No other rules have changed, and I am not censoring anyone's thoughts or opinions.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    but then Mason comes and throws you a muzzle and you WILLINGLY put it on.
    Nothing is being muzzled.

The only change involves copy/pasted content from 2+2.

No other rules have changed, and I am not censoring anyone's thoughts or opinions.
    however, you are giving into a frivolous demand brought upon you by someone who has publicly said he doesn't like you.

LoL the fact you even entertained this idea by opening a letter and reading it, is incredible.

Do you have a lawyer you can call? seriously, i would.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    can we see a screen shot of this email?

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Comments

Muck Ficon: Shut up Larry.

hey instead of red repping why not just give your opinion on the matter.

Comments

GringoStar: Yup

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Talking to lawyers cost money Larry.

You gonna chip in?

Load Metric
    LOL at Druff caving in.

Tell Greenberg Taurig, et al. to go fuck themselves.

is the content on 2+2 copyrighted in any way? like in there terms of service does it say that any posts you make are now property of 2+2?

my guess is.....(and i haven't looked yet)...... NO

seriously im fucking rolling over here in laughter. You talk a big game, but then Mason comes and throws you a muzzle and you WILLINGLY put it on.

seriously though, that's fucking harassment. i'd tell him that if he keeps contacting you about this you'll have Alvin Finklestein on his ass in a heart beat.

edit:
    Alvin aside, for real, this is harassment. how can they dictate what others post here? What if i go search and find 2+2 shit on Pocket 5's? or RealGrinders (well they haven't accepted me yet). are they getting letters too? NO THEYRE NOT. ONLY YOU ARE. BECAUSE MASON HATES YOU. so it's harassment.

you can't selectively enforce a rule that isn't even a rule.
    From this screenshot of the bottom of the main page of the forum, it looks like the content is coyrighted.

Name:  IMG_5841.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  224.3 KB

Comments

Ryback_feed_me_more: Hey Dumbass Jellsoft makes VBulliten not the owners of 2+2 dummy.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    What reason do you think triggered this?

I used to rely on PFA to cull the good stuff from the wasteland of 2+2. But obv nothing is happening there.

I can't recollect the last 2+2 mention here.

If it's ok with Flipper Fair, let's use the free-roll $ to pay a lawyer to return the same cease and desist and post it here.

Load Metric
    Druff, were any specifics mentioned? Like something posted on 29th or 30th March which was particularly egregious?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

From this screenshot of the bottom of the main page of the forum, it looks like the content is coyrighted.

Name:  IMG_5841.JPG
Views: 588
Size:  224.3 KB

that's the copyright for how his website looks. not for USER posted content.

this would be in the terms of service when you sign up. it would say "any and all content posted is copy right 2+2" or something of the matter.

for instance, photos you post on FB? they're FB's, not yours once you post them. thats why you shouldn't just post directly to FB with photos you may want to keep and make money on (if you took them)

this is kind of the same deal here.

Mason's claiming that content posted on his site is his, and he may be right, i haven't skimmed the TOS. but odds are, he isn't.

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post

Unfortunately, reproduction of web text content is a tough thing to deal with, and there have been many expensive legal battles fought over this.

I don't want to fight such a legal battle.

If Mason doesn't want 2+2 stuff copy/pasted here, then I won't allow it.

I will, however, always defend this site's right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression. I would never let Mason or anyone else tell me how to run this forum. I am only making this chance specifically about copy/pasting 2+2 posts over here.
    I don't blame you on the lawsuit front but it sucks because a lot of things are a grey area.

As for radio content or anything the forum creators post themselves I can see it but a user posting a thread about a scam Mason shouldn't have control over an outsider's actual post imo and if people quote them elsewhere why should that be an issue?

If someone were to tell me anything I post on particular forum can't be quoted fully elsewhere for 24 hours (or forever) and I wasn't being paid for it I'd tell them to go kick rocks.

Thread Information