Thread: Foodies, give me a salsa recipe

Load Metric

Foodies, give me a salsa recipe

Going to my families lake cottage this weekend and want to make some banging salsa.

Anybody got a good recipe? Preferably something with some kick. Also could use a good chip recommendation.

TIA

Load Metric
    Guacamole mother fucker!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Here is my favorite salsa, first saw it in Diners, Drive-ins and Dives:

Roasted Pineapple Habanero Salsa

Makes 6 Cups

3 Medium tomatoes
    4 jalapeno chiles, stems removed
    ¼ Maui or other sweet onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
    1 to 2 Habanero chiles
    1 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits, with juice
    ½ cup water divided
    ½ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
    Kosher salt

1. Heat the broiler to high. Put the tomatoes, jalapenos, and onion in a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil 4 inches from the heat until darkly roasted and even blackened in spots on one side, about 6 minutes. Flip the veggies and broil the other side for another 6 minutes or so. The goal is to char all the veggies but also to caramelize and cook them through to being out the rich, smoky flavor. Cool for 10 minutes, reserving all the juices.
    2. Put half the roasted veggies, the Habanero, the pineapple and juice, and half the water in a food processor or blender and pulse. Add the rest of the roasted veggies and the cilantro and pulse again.
    3. Taste, season with salt, and adjust the consistency with water if necessary. The salsa will thicken as it cools, so take this into account as you add water. It will be hotter at first, and then begin to mellow. Use right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.

Load Metric
    Mango Salsa (double or triple this if you are feeding a lot of people)

1 mango, peeled and diced
    2 small firm tomatoes, cut into small cubes (if you can, use heirloom or home-grown)
    1/2 cup peeled, diced cucumber
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno
    1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh serrano
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
    1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
    1 clove fresh garlic (minced or pressed)
    Freshly cracked sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper

Combine the mango, cucumber, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, lime juice and cilantro leaves and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you really want to impress, make your own chips by slicing fresh made corn tortillas into triangles and frying till crisp in vegetable oil. These are best if served immediately after you cook them (while they're still warm).

World’s Best Guacamole
    Another great recipe in the Football Couch Potato Series

You’ll need:
    8 ripe avocados
    4 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or finely chopped
    ½ of a large onion
    3 Serrano chilies, chopped finely (you can add some finely chopped Habanero too if you like it HOT)
    2 ripe, firm tomatoes, chopped into small cubes
    Chopped cilantro
    ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
    ½ of a fresh lime
    Salt
    Plenty of fresh tortilla chips

Beer
    Clamato
    More lime

Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and spoon the halves into a large bowl. Add the garlic, onion, Serranos, tomato, a handful of chopped cilantro (if you're lazy, just use fresh-made pico de gallo from the supermarket in the veggie aisle) and pomegranate seeds: mix with a large spoon. Do not mash. The mixing process will break the avocado up perfectly. Salt to taste and squeeze the lime on top – mix again.

Serve with fresh tortilla chips and an ice cold cerveza. (You can make your own tortilla chips by slicing up fresh-made tortillas and frying them in oil till crispy.)

Bloody beer is fantastic with this – for an amazing blend, mix one part plain Clamato with two parts beer, and squeeze in the juice of a whole fresh lime. Believe it or not, you don't have to use Mexican beer, or even light beer. Try it with a Newcastle - you'll be very pleased.

Salud!

´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Load Metric
    [QUOTE=Vwls;41324]Mango Salsa (double or triple this if you are feeding a lot of people)

2 small firm tomatoes, cut into small cubes (if you can, use heirloom or home-grown)
    1/3 cup diced red onion

Combine the mango, cucumber, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, lime juice and cilantro leaves and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you really want to impress, make your own chips by slicing fresh made corn tortillas into triangles and frying till crisp in vegetable oil. These are best if served immediately after you cook them (while they're still warm).

This sounds really good. You think I should double the amounts to feed 4-5 people as a snack type thing?

Also, how hot is this mango salsa? Should I add more of the spicy? I like me some fire.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The mango salsa sounds awesome, but for some reason the cucumber seems a little off.

I don't believe I have ever had cukes in salsa before, but I would be willing to give it a try.

Peace,

Hozer11

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    Mango Salsa (double or triple this if you are feeding a lot of people)

1/3 cup diced red onion

This sounds really good. You think I should double the amounts to feed 4-5 people as a snack type thing?

Also, how hot is this mango salsa? Should I add more of the spicy? I like me some fire.
    Yes - triple the recipe for sure. And consider doing the homemade chips - they will wow your family and they are easy. Be sure to drain them on paper towels before serving, and to make them right before you serve.

The heat will depend on the jalapenos you buy. Jalapenos can vary seasonally and as well, depending on where you are geographically when you buy them. If they are very hot, you can tone things down by omitting all or some of the seeds/innards when you chop them up. If they are the kind that basically taste like green peppers, then you will need to rely on the serranos to provide the heat. Be careful with serranos - they can be powerful. If you are intent on scalding the mouths of your family, then consider adding some chopped habanero.A good idea is to chop up some serranos and habaneros and serve them on the side. Then those that can handle more heat can add them to their serving, while those who can't take it can just eat from the main bowl.

Load Metric
    Is there clamato Juse in the USA ?

Have you herd of a blody Ceaser? Invented in Calgary Alberta. I may have dranken way to many of these one time.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hozer11 View Post
    The mango salsa sounds awesome, but for some reason the cucumber seems a little off.

I don't believe I have ever had cukes in salsa before, but I would be willing to give it a try.

Peace,

Hozer11
    Hi )

The cucumber adds crunch - that's all. You'll hardly notice it's in there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Is there clamato Juse in the USA ?

Have you herd of a blody Ceaser? Invented in Calgary Alberta
    Yes we have Clamato - it's the only thing I use both for Caesars and bloody Cervezas. Once you've had Clamato, nothing else will do.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Yes - triple the recipe for sure. And consider doing the homemade chips - they will wow your family and they are easy. Be sure to drain them on paper towels before serving, and to make them right before you serve.

The heat will depend on the jalapenos you buy. Jalapenos can vary seasonally and as well, depending on where you are geographically when you buy them. If they are very hot, you can tone things down by omitting all or some of the seeds/innards when you chop them up. If they are the kind that basically taste like green peppers, then you will need to rely on the serranos to provide the heat. Be careful with serranos - they can be powerful. If you are intent on scalding the mouths of your family, then consider adding some chopped habanero.A good idea is to chop up some serranos and habaneros and serve them on the side. Then those that can handle more heat can add them to their serving, while those who can't take it can just eat from the main bowl.
    Nice, making it for Nepali friends who love heat so will make it extra fiery and give feedback.

Load Metric
    My wife makes a simple yet effective Salsa that is customizable to your heat settings:

Tomatoes
    Jalapeno(s)
    Onion (I prefer Red)
    Cucumber
    Cilantro (this is key to Salsa)
    Salt

Dice everything and there you go. Sometimes she throws some garlic in to, but it's not needed. If you're good with a knife and can cut everything the same size this will also look amazing with a good mix of colors and a good texture
    I write things about poker at my Poker Blog and elsewhere on the Internets

Thread Information