Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Returning from east coast trip to NYC/Atlantic City/Lancaster (Amish country)/Philly

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Returning from east coast trip to NYC/Atlantic City/Lancaster (Amish country)/Philly

I've been traveling since Sunday, which is the reason I haven't been too active or responsive here.

Thanks to everyone for not cock-bombing the site.

Right now I'm on the airplane flying BACK.

The highs:

- Weather was great, for the most part. NYC had been cold and rainy for the prior 2 weeks, yet it was 75-79 degrees high for us once we showed up. AC was a bit cold (high was like 53, and kinda windy), but it was nice again in Pennsylvania.

- Got a baller suite at the nice and right-on-Times-Square Marriott Marquis. Had it for 3 nights, and paid just $342+tax for a room that was selling for $1200. Managed this through Jewish shenanigans and negotiating skillz.

- Walked most of central park and even took a rowboat on the lake there with the family.

- Saw statue of liberty and Ellis Island, including my great-grandfather's name on the Ellis Island wall

- Went to top of Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center

- Met handicapme. Nice guy, and seemed totally normal during the time I spent with him. It was only about 30 minutes, though, so he could be a psycho and just hiding it well.

- Ate $500 worth of free Caesars food in AC

- Took interesting tour of Amish homes/farms (real ones) in Lancaster, PA

- Saw Liberty Bell and touched it even though I wasn't supposed to

- Came within a few miles of running out of gas, but barely made it to a gas station, just 3 hours before my flight home. I've come really close to running out of gas many times, but have only run out once -- back in 1996.

The lows:

- Found myself with a sore throat on the first night of the trip, which turned into a really bad cold, and I still have it. The worst day of it was Tuesday (the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/Freedom Tower day), where I was barely able to stand by the end of the day. I definitely caught this cold in Vegas, where I was right before this trip. Thanks, Bellagio poker room!

- Had an argument with a pizza place by Times Square. Basically I ordered a pizza and a salad over the phone, and when I showed up, they forgot my entire order. The guy who took the order tried to lie about it, and finally admitted that, yes, he took my order but that the cooks "just didn't get it" (meaning he forgot). Dude didn't apologize once, and was a total dickhead about it. It was some asshole, young Puerto Rican guy, and he was aggressive and nasty with me from the start. I asked if he could at least prioritize my order ahead of everyone else, because mine should have been done already, and he refused. At that point, I decided I was done with them, so I told them to go ahead and make my food (didn't pay yet), and intentionally never showed up to get it.

- DENIED a suite in Atlantic City Caesars, despite it being my annual Seven Stars trip. Even worse, they weren't even honest with me about the reason. They kept telling me it was about "inventory" and "a busy week", but then couldn't explain why I couldn't move to a suite which was sitting empty late at night. Basically I have no play history there, and they simply didn't want me to have it. All other Caesars properties will give me a suite on my annual trip if there is one sitting empty (and not reserved) when I arrive.

- My girlfriend qualified for a free room in AC plus $50 food credit, and I totally forgot about it. So we could have had two rooms to kinda mimic a suite, but I totally spaced and forgot to check on that.

- Girlfriend caught my cold. Somehow Benjamin seems to have dodged it.

- Almost missed Amish tour thanks to terrible traffic between AC and Lancaster (about 130 mile drive). I was basically constantly checking Google maps and modifying my route to dodge traffic. The app attempts to do it for you, but it isn't particularly good at it. It won't send you on weird little side streets. Whole drive was very stressful. Had to illegally pass people a few times. Showed up at 4:52 for the 5pm tour. Interestingly, 4 of the scheduled 14 people missed it, and another family of 4 told me that, like me, they almost missed it due to traffic, as well.

Didn't gamble. Ran $75 freeplay at Harrah's Philly (why not?) and only got $25 out of it. Yuck.

Was on a United flight at the exact time that the controversy occurred last week, but obviously not the same plane. Odd coincidence.

Radio will return this week on Wednesday, April 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I've been traveling since Sunday, which is the reason I haven't been too active or responsive here.

The highs:

- Weather was great, for the most part. NYC had been cold and rainy for the prior 2 weeks, yet it was 75-79 degrees high for us once we showed up. AC was a bit cold (high was like 53, and kinda windy), but it was nice again in Pennsylvania.

- Got a baller suite at the nice and right-on-Times-Square Marriott Marquis. Had it for 3 nights, and paid just $342+tax for a room that was selling for $1200. Managed this through Jewish shenanigans and negotiating skillz.

- Walked most of central park and even took a rowboat on the lake there with the family.

- Saw statue of liberty and Ellis Island, including my great-grandfather's name on the Ellis Island wall

- Met handicapme. Nice guy, and seemed totally normal during the time I spent with him. It was only about 30 minutes, though, so he could be a psycho and just hiding it well.

- Came within a few miles of running out of gas, but barely made it to a gas station, just 3 hours before my flight home. I've come really close to running out of gas many times, but have only run out once -- back in 1996.

The lows:

- Found myself with a sore throat on the first night of the trip, which turned into a really bad cold, and I still have it. The worst day of it was Tuesday (the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/Freedom Tower day), where I was barely able to stand by the end of the day. I definitely caught this cold in Vegas, where I was right before this trip. Thanks, Bellagio poker room!

- Had an argument with a pizza place by Times Square. Basically I ordered a pizza and a salad over the phone, and when I showed up, they forgot my entire order. The guy who took the order tried to lie about it, and finally admitted that, yes, he took my order but that the cooks "just didn't get it" (meaning he forgot). Dude didn't apologize once, and was a total dickhead about it. It was some asshole, young Puerto Rican guy, and he was aggressive and nasty with me from the start. I asked if he could at least prioritize my order ahead of everyone else, because mine should have been done already, and he refused. At that point, I decided I was done with them, so I told them to go ahead and make my food (didn't pay yet), and intentionally never showed up to get it.

- DENIED a suite in Atlantic City Caesars, despite it being my annual Seven Stars trip. Even worse, they weren't even honest with me about the reason. They kept telling me it was about "inventory" and "a busy week", but then couldn't explain why I couldn't move to a suite which was sitting empty late at night. Basically I have no play history there, and they simply didn't want me to have it. All other Caesars properties will give me a suite on my annual trip if there is one sitting empty (and not reserved) when I arrive.

- My girlfriend qualified for a free room in AC plus $50 food credit, and I totally forgot about it. So we could have had two rooms to kinda mimic a suite, but I totally spaced and forgot to check on that.

- Almost missed Amish tour thanks to terrible traffic between AC and Lancaster (about 130 mile drive). I was basically constantly checking Google maps and modifying my route to dodge traffic. The app attempts to do it for you, but it isn't particularly good at it. It won't send you on weird little side streets. Whole drive was very stressful. Had to illegally pass people a few times. Showed up at 4:52 for the 5pm tour. Interestingly, 4 of the scheduled 14 people missed it, and another family of 4 told me that, like me, they almost missed it due to traffic, as well.

Didn't gamble. Ran $75 freeplay at Harrah's Philly (why not?) and only got $25 out of it. Yuck.

Was on a United flight at the exact time that the controversy occurred last week, but obviously not the same plane. Odd coincidence.

Any decent restaurants to report. Hopefully you didn't try to phone order from Ray's. I can't imagine doing that.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackPipes and Kakfights View Post

The highs:

The lows:

Any decent restaurants to report. Hopefully you didn't try to phone order from Ray's. I can't imagine doing that.

I cant imagine phoning a small order at ANY pizzeria in the Times Square area. LOL @ thinking a restaurant in that area is gonna care about a $20 dollar order from some tourist. Sorry, Druff.

Comments

unchainedghost: Same exact thought when I was reading that

Load Metric

- Had an argument with a pizza place by Times Square.

Comments

OSA: you act like you didnt know that was going to happen
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It was a restaurant a block off Times Square, and they advertised that they take phone/delivery orders.

It wasn't Ray's. All of the Ray's these days suck.

The problem -- and I was afraid of this when I ordered -- is that they don't give a shit about repeat business, because that's not their business model.

I will give them a 1 star on Yelp and Tripadvisor and move on.

Comments

OSA: Rofl, youre the best

Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackPipes and Kakfights View Post

I cant imagine phoning a small order at ANY pizzeria in the Times Square area. LOL @ thinking a restaurant in that area is gonna care about a $20 dollar order from some tourist. Sorry, Druff.
    They just don't care. No one who lives there would even try. The boys at famiglia would hook me up when I lived in midtown. But the crew knew me from their restaurant on 110th. Other than having a personal connection you shouldn't even try.

Load Metric
    Did handicapme teach you how to win at fantasy sites?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You guys can laugh about the pizza place argument, but the place advertised they did delivery and pickup, so it's not unreasonable for me to do a phone order, nor is it defensible on their part that they forgot to put it in (and then wouldn't do a thing to accommodate me).

I will agree that they don't give a shit because they don't need or expect repeat customers.

Load Metric
    Are you flying coach, biz select, or first?

You guys can laugh about the pizza place argument, but the place advertised they did delivery and pickup, so it's not unreasonable for me to do a phone order, nor is it defensible on their part that they forgot to put it in (and then wouldn't do a thing to accommodate me).

I will agree that they don't give a shit because they don't need or expect repeat customers.
    Not laughing by the way. But I would say that most New Yorkers wouldn't try this. Did you have any decent restaurant experiences? I hope you at least bought a Yankee cap.

Load Metric
    That's a good question Drexel but I feel like we need an emergency radio show to get to the bottom of this whole Times Square pizzeria thing.

Comments

OSA: yes

Crowe Diddly: c'mon, let's not pile on, it was a BLOCK AWAY from Times Square rep
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post
    None of the above.

Economy Plus, which is coach with more legroom.

Usually do business/first, but the price was a huge ripoff this time and I couldn't justify it.

Can't do regular coach for long flights because I'm too tall.

Load Metric
    I remember when my parents took me to Armish country.

Sorry to say Benjamin will hate you for the rest of your life.

Platinum
    Load Metric

holy fuck, best thing ive read on the internet in awhile...they are so full of fucking shit it is laughable...

in AC there is no "busy week" outside of the memorial day to labor day unless there is a convention in town...and with this being the week of easter gonna guess that wasn't happening...

we would be sucking a seven stars' dick for them to come in on a non-peak season during the midweek...typical AC fail outta caesars...but then again that's why their whole east region properties are fucked...hope their GM and AGM are enjoying drowning in red ink...hope you had a chance to meet their AGM, jannsen...hes a closet fucking faggot...

you have to give us your honest assessment of the prison view from harrahs chester (or should I say "harrahs philly")...hope you came in through the roads where they have the industrial complex instead of having to drive through the 'hood where you need your Kevlar vests...

next time you are in philly let me know and ill make sure you get the true philly cheesesteak experience...
    Last edited by GambleBotsChafedPenis; 04-15-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Sweet TR, I was starting to think damn Druff abandoned the site.
    So you stopped by thespartens pizza shop and got into a customer service dispute, haha perfect.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS_Russia View Post
    Sweet TR, I was starting to think damn Druff abandoned the site.
    So you stopped by thespartens pizza shop and got into a customer service dispute, haha perfect.
    If thesparten's pizza joint still existed, I totally would have stopped by, and none of this would have happened.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post
    None of the above.

Usually do business/first, but the price was a huge ripoff this time and I couldn't justify it.

you seriously pay for 1st class??? i would have never guessed

i think you might be an inch or two taller than me (i'm 6'3"), so i understand how uncomfortable regular coach can be

my best experiences have been flying delta where you can pick beforehand the seats that have the most legroom in coach (exit aisles, first row, etc.) for as little as $15 more

also, i understand that kids are germ accumulators, but have you ever been tested for allergies? could explain why you get 27 "colds" per year as a lot of the symptoms are similar

in fact, i read an article in feb about doctors seeing a lot of patients coming in with symptoms that they themselves thought were colds or the flu, but were in fact just allergies because of the warmer weather releasing pollen, or whatever earlier

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

holy fuck, best thing ive read on the internet in awhile...they are so full of fucking shit it is laughable...

in AC there is no "busy week" outside of the memorial day to labor day unless there is a convention in town...and with this being the week of easter gonna guess that wasn't happening...

we would be sucking a seven stars' dick for them to come in on a non-peak season during the midweek...typical AC fail outta caesars...but then again that's why their whole east region properties are fucked...hope their GM and AGM are enjoying drowning in red ink...hope you had a chance to meet their AGM, jannsen...hes a closet fucking idiotic...

you have to give us your honest assessment of the prison view from harrahs chester (or should I say "harrahs philly")...hope you came in through the roads where they have the industrial complex instead of having to drive through the 'hood where you need your Kevlar vests...

next time you are in philly let me know and ill make sure you get the true philly cheesesteak experience...
    Oh, I've been to Harrah's Philly before. The neighborhood is indeed super ghetto and the prison right next door is LOL.

And yes, I drove through the hood. But I voluntarily drove through abandoned Detroit neighborhoods in 2014, so this is pretty much the same thing.

Speaking of pizza, that's the last place we stopped in Philly. Had a pretty good takeout pizza in some ghetto neighborhood in southwest Philly. Wasn't as awful a neighborhood as Chester near Harrah's, but still pretty bad.

When I walk through places like that, I always try to look kinda pissed off and frustrated, so as to not give off the "white boy out of his element and scared of his surroundings" vibe. It actually seems to work.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

None of the above.

you seriously pay for 1st class??? i would have never guessed

i think you might be an inch or two taller than me (i'm 6'3"), so i understand how uncomfortable regular coach can be

my best experiences have been flying delta where you can pick beforehand the seats that have the most legroom in coach (exit aisles, first row, etc.) for as little as $15 more

also, i understand that kids are germ accumulators, but have you ever been tested for allergies? could explain why you get 27 "colds" per year as a lot of the symptoms are similar

in fact, i read an article in feb about doctors seeing a lot of patients coming in with symptoms that they themselves thought were colds or the flu, but were in fact just allergies because of the warmer weather releasing pollen, or whatever earlier
    No allergies. This has been discussed many times before out here.

I don't get as many colds as the forum perceives. My colds are just announced every time because they interfere with radio (or in this case, were an element of my trip report.)

The average adult gets 4-6 colds per year. That's about what I get.

This is actually my first one of 2017, unless I'm forgetting one.

These are definitely colds, as they follow the exact patterns of symptoms (including order of symptoms) and exact timetables regarding how long it lasts.

Many people try to (incorrectly) convince me that these are flus, because I often get body aches during the first few days (sometimes severe ones). Colds do carry body aches as a possible (and semi-common) symptom.

Regarding first class, I pay for it when it's worth it. Sometimes first class isn't that much more than an economy plus ticket, and you also get free food & luggage. It's also just a nicer experience. Sometimes it's a lot more (such as in this case), in which case I just get economy plus. Unfortunately, airlines are getting wise to people needing economy plus, so they are raising the prices each year.

Load Metric
    Regarding first class, I pay for it when it's worth it. Sometimes first class isn't that much more than an economy plus ticket, and you also get free food & luggage. It's also just a nicer experience. Sometimes it's a lot more (such as in this case), in which case I just get economy plus. Unfortunately, airlines are getting wise to people needing economy plus, so they are raising the prices each year.
    i always hear people say this, and maybe i'm looking in the wrong places, but this has never been my experience

don't think i've ever seen 1st class for less than 2x delta plus or whatever

Thread Information