Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Returning from east coast trip to NYC/Atlantic City/Lancaster (Amish country)/Philly

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    How many people actually look at yelp for a pizza joint?

I might look for a good Italian/Mexican/whatever restaurant, but for pizza I'm either on foot/driving around/looking through a phone book.

*But I may be out of touch on a subject like this.

I have to agree with Simpdog and Handicapme here.

The only time I use yelp is to read reviews about mid to upscale places that are new or that I haven't been to before. I usually won't even read yelp if one or more friends/family refer me to a place I haven't been based on their recommendations.

When I am traveling, I normally don't read yelp reviews on fast food, quick bite places etc.

I was in Disneyland recently and in the area where I was staying, I dropped by a Mexican place for a breakfast burrito. It wasn't anything special but there only so much you can do to a burrito and it's pretty hard to screw it up.

Now as a disclaimer, I have never been a pizza aficionado. When I was a kid the default pizza place the parents ordered from was lol Dominoes, Pizza Hut and this local place called Godfathers.

I don't eat pizza a lot. I maybe order it in 4 times a year at most and that's usually only because someone I am with wants pizza.

My point being, I can't really tell the difference between a good pizza and an amazing pizza.

Also, a lot of people have app's on there phone (like what's around me) that will tell them the nearest restaurants, grocery stores, bars etc.

If I was in NYC and wanted a quick bite, I would probably use an app. If I saw a pizza place near by, if I was in the mood for pizza, I would just head over there and not look at reviews of the place.

As an aside, when I read reviews I usually only am interested in food issues. My point being, a lot of reviews I read constantly bash the service. I of course realize this will always happen and some people are more critical of the time it takes to get food.

ZoD

Edit: the only thing that may not apply here is that there are I am sure tourists who when in New York are looking for a pizza experience which may make them do more research for that type of cuisine than others would in a different city.

Load Metric
    There is very little bad pizza in NYC. Its one of capitalisms few success stories. If you serve shit pizza in NYC, you're not making it to the finish line because there are 6 other pizza places within 4 blocks who arent fuckups.

Plus somehow it's the water that makes NYC pizza great, something about salt content iirc, its the same reasons the bagels are so iconic.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    There is very little bad pizza in NYC. Its one of capitalisms few success stories. If you serve shit pizza in NYC, you're not making it to the finish line because there are 6 other pizza places within 4 blocks who arent fuckups.

Plus somehow it's the water that makes NYC pizza great, something about salt content iirc, its the same reasons the bagels are so iconic.
    It's because the sauce fpr NYC pizza tends to be sweeter, which makes eating hot single slices more appealing, but can be a bit overwhelming when eating many pieces, especially when it gets cold. Pizza with sweet sauce tastes horrible when cold.

Comments

sonatine: just when i think you've run out of ways to be wrong
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post
    the smart thing for them to do would make it very, very, very difficult to make 7* via poker/VP...solves a lot of issues...

I know they've made it harder for people to get it via VP, but its obviously not enough...if you are a "hassle" as a VP 7* then they aren't getting enough theo to make it worth their while...if that's the case move the fucking needle...not that fucking difficult...if you want to keep it as is, then you are fine with getting the theo/CI as is...VP 7*s are playing by their rules, so they should be treated as such...and yes I would never say advantage VP players should take priority over whales/etc, but again the time of year we are talking about and time of week it's a moot point...

the marketing in that organization is fucked as fucked can be...the CMO left in may of 2016, think he went to google...id be willing to bet a ton of money he left because the marketing operation is such a fucking mess...

and yes I would love for all the high priced execs to lose their fucking shirts while somehow have it not affect the front line workers...unfortunately that'll never happen...
    That's a good point. As much as I'd hate it if they moved the "needle" of making 7 Stars farther away to where it becomes prohibitively expensive for advantage players to obtain, it would be the smarter move for them. That would eliminate the issue of their constant paranoia that "Seven Stars grinders" are getting over on them, though I'm sure we'd still see the bullshit where certain properties like Caesars AC are nervous that out of market players still won't play much.

Honestly if they moved it from 150k tier credits to 500k, that would separate the low-value Seven Stars from the high-value ones.

They've already set aside a few extra benefits for 500k+ tier players, so why not just move Seven Stars there, and be done with it?

I think they're afraid that they will scare away the lower Seven Stars players who are still profitable to them, but they can't continue with this schizophrenic bullshit where their highest tier players are often treated like assholes.

I'm not even all that pissed, because I know what I'm dealing with. I understand Caesars and knowingly wade into the cespool, being aware of what I can get out of it despite the frequent frustration.

But for the average gambler... I really do wonder why they bother.
    for the average gambler it shouldn't be hard at all and they shouldn't have to jump through hoops...its these type of players who are gonna dump their money and aren't gonna get the company for all they are worth...but in typical caesars fail they make it tough, probably to make sure these people don't get as much out of it as they should...that would be typical caesars fuckery...

I think I said earlier AC shouldn't be worried about what they are giving you...I believe that if you are taking a 7* trip, that they hit back corporate for your expenses of the trip...yeah they might be out the charge of a suite v. regular room, but it's minor compared of possibly getting you to play a little...

I know you've probably answered this, but is the MGM program really that much worse than caesars? Id go fucking insane dealing with all their bullshit...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

That's a good point. As much as I'd hate it if they moved the "needle" of making 7 Stars farther away to where it becomes prohibitively expensive for advantage players to obtain, it would be the smarter move for them. That would eliminate the issue of their constant paranoia that "Seven Stars grinders" are getting over on them, though I'm sure we'd still see the bullshit where certain properties like Caesars AC are nervous that out of market players still won't play much.

Honestly if they moved it from 150k tier credits to 500k, that would separate the low-value Seven Stars from the high-value ones.

They've already set aside a few extra benefits for 500k+ tier players, so why not just move Seven Stars there, and be done with it?

I think they're afraid that they will scare away the lower Seven Stars players who are still profitable to them, but they can't continue with this schizophrenic bullshit where their highest tier players are often treated like assholes.

I'm not even all that pissed, because I know what I'm dealing with. I understand Caesars and knowingly wade into the cespool, being aware of what I can get out of it despite the frequent frustration.

But for the average gambler... I really do wonder why they bother.
    for the average gambler it shouldn't be hard at all and they shouldn't have to jump through hoops...its these type of players who are gonna dump their money and aren't gonna get the company for all they are worth...but in typical caesars fail they make it tough, probably to make sure these people don't get as much out of it as they should...that would be typical caesars fuckery...

I think I said earlier AC shouldn't be worried about what they are giving you...I believe that if you are taking a 7* trip, that they hit back corporate for your expenses of the trip...yeah they might be out the charge of a suite v. regular room, but it's minor compared of possibly getting you to play a little...

I know you've probably answered this, but is the MGM program really that much worse than caesars? Id go fucking insane dealing with all their bullshit...
    Caesars has a much better program for players like me.

MGM's Noir (highest tier) has no guaranteed benefits which are worthwhile. It's mostly things like "guaranteed seat at restaurant", "guaranteed room at hotel", etc, but nothing in the way of actual guaranteed comps.

Noir also requires a review of your account to get in, which means they may deny you if you're seen as a bonus whore.

Seven Stars also requires a review, but it's a very basic one, primarily making sure you don't owe them money and don't have repeated behavior problems.

A discussion of Total Rewards and MLife can be found here: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...s-vs-MGM-Mlife ... The information is about 2 1/2 years old, but most is still accurate.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    wow just skimmed your first two posts...that's crazy...

makes total sense why youd go with caesars...figured their rewards had to probably outstrip MGM by a mile because I cant see you putting up with their bullshit...

wonder if MGM raised their rewards a little more for the Noir tier if they could put a dent in caesars business or if it's just not worth dealing with the lower worth 7*/Noir players...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Anyone ignoring the huge impact of review sites in 2017 is simply ignoring the reality of today.

Try to google any restaurant. The review averages for each major site will show up prominently right on the front page!

Try to google "pizza times square". Again, review averages will show up for each pizza place!

There is NO WAY to escape reviews as a consumer unless you completely avoid the internet and your smartphone in order to find a place to eat.

Therefore, every restaurant is affected by 1-star reviews, unless they already get all the business they can handle from other sources, such as foot traffic. Furthermore, it's not so much about people seeing my bad review, but more about affecting the average star rating for the place.

A small, hard-to-see place which is off Times Square gets PLENTY of customers from internet searches.

As I said, I would concede that a place right on Times Square probably gets enough foot traffic to where it's mostly review-proof, but everything else (including places close to Times Square) is greatly affected by internet reviews.

That's not to say a place can't survive if it has mediocre/bad reviews, but it definitely won't do as well.

Brandon also brought up a good point that many people want to "try the famous NYC pizza" when they come as a tourist to New York, which also makes it more likely that they will use an app to find what is supposed to be a good pizza place.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love a place with foot traffic!!!

You don't have to deal with the same customer twice and you can abuse them all day long..

It's orgasmic .

I once had this family from Ohio.. I made them wait an hour and 15 minutes all the time I told them there food was coming.

I actually had there ticket but never ordered it..I was just too busy..

When they finally had enough and got up. I immediately sat down 4 more people while they were unbuckling the kid from the baby seat..

It was hilarious..

Load Metric

MGM's Noir (highest tier) has no guaranteed benefits which are worthwhile. It's mostly things like "guaranteed seat at restaurant", "guaranteed room at hotel", etc, but nothing in the way of actual guaranteed comps.

Noir also requires a review of your account to get in, which means they may deny you if you're seen as a bonus whore.

Seven Stars also requires a review, but it's a very basic one, primarily making sure you don't owe them money and don't have repeated behavior problems.

A discussion of Total Rewards and MLife can be found here: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...s-vs-MGM-Mlife ... The information is about 2 1/2 years old, but most is still accurate.

I was Noir at one point and it is basically the same as platinum (which is easy to get). It is a status thing like the Amex black card except all this says is that you are a degen gambler and you probably have a problem. That is because there is no way to get it unless you play table games at a high level. You are basically risking 100s of thousands of dollars so that you can be Noir and get guaranteed reservations at a restaurant. The rest of the stuff like limo pickup , room upgrades, etc etc you can get with a gold card if went one time and caught the eye of a host.
    :freelewfather

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

You don't have to deal with the same customer twice and you can abuse them all day long..

It's orgasmic .

I once had this family from Ohio.. I made them wait an hour and 15 minutes all the time I told them there food was coming.

When they finally had enough and got up. I immediately sat down 4 more people while they were unbuckling the kid from the baby seat..

It was hilarious..
    crackhead buzzboy, life doesnt get much sweeter then that
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric

makes total sense why youd go with caesars...figured their rewards had to probably outstrip MGM by a mile because I cant see you putting up with their bullshit...

wonder if MGM raised their rewards a little more for the Noir tier if they could put a dent in caesars business or if it's just not worth dealing with the lower worth 7*/Noir players...

The problem with Caesars is that their hotels (except for higher tier rooms at Caesars Palace) are garbage compared to MGM. Perhaps that is why they have to offer more perks.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

It's orgasmic .

It was hilarious..
    i am shocked that your venture into owning your own restaurant was a spectacular failure

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post

The problem with Caesars is that their hotels (except for higher tier rooms at Caesars Palace) are garbage compared to MGM. Perhaps that is why they have to offer more perks.

except for the new tower at harrah's and some selected rooms at caesars the AC rooms are the same way...there are rooms in ballys that I'm pretty sure haven't been touched since the 80s...there is no comparison to the shit at Borgata...

Load Metric

If as a player you are looking for the benefit of only playing a few days a year, or even every couple years and having a tangible benefit i.e. free rooms, then no question Caesars is the way to go. It really is the only rewards program that grants you a guaranteed room during your entire status period.

I have been told by a few hosts that to acquire Noir status at MGM that an actual committee monthly goes over eligible applicants. Now of course if you're Noir you're going to get a free room (surely a high end suite) at any of the MGM properties, but that's also because you're expected to play.

No matter what reward program you may be a top member at, if you stay and no play you will eventually (I'd say after the second trip) not receive comped rooms in advance.

The one kind of exception to this is the locals market. When I was chairman at Redrock, I got a monthly mailer that entitled me to two free rooms every month (some blackout dates) and that is besides what a host could extend as well.

There would be many weeks, even months that passed by without me playing there, yet I would still receive the monthly room offers as well as free play and some food voucher. I've been DNI'ed from there since 2015 so those offers have stopped.

I get a monthly mailer from Boyd/Coast casinos all the time that includes one free room per night at any of there dozen or so properties even though I haven't played there in well over a year. The general thinking is that a local isn't going to book a room at a joint like that and not play.

An interesting thing I started experimenting with a couple of years ago is that I figured out how most casinos market.

The Wynn for instance barely markerts to locals. I could (and have) gone in there and lost thousands of dollars and didn't receive as much as an offer for a casino rate room or a free buffet while others from out of town have played much less and received nice offers.

The way to circumvent this is to provide a non Vegas address. My aunt in Florida mails me each month offers from the Wynn and a handful of other properties or calls me if they are time sensitive offers.

My friend Larry was a big player at redrock who lived in Florida. He got many room offers but never any free play. He switched his address to a "locals one" and started getting $500 a week at the height of free play. He was able to run that free play through a machine where he could hedge and was guaranteed to recoup $475 of the $500 without any risk. Close to 2k a month from one property.

Zod

Comments

GambleBotsChafedPenis: Working The System Rep

My only contribution to this thread is I went to Planet Hollywood circa 2012 and lost $19,000 playing primarily black jack after being up $8K right out of the gate. So a swing of $27,000 in two days. Two weeks later I began getting letters from casino hosts, and one even sent a hand written note in the margin. While I was never offered a straight up plane ticket, I was offered free rooms and meal comps. After like 5 letters, I finally called the guy and let him know I was simply plastered one night and completely humiliated I lost that amount in one night. He laughed and asked me if I ever reconsidered to give him a call direct. To his credit he took my off his mailing list. I wish I would have kept the final letter as a souvenir.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexel View Post

If as a player you are looking for the benefit of only playing a few days a year, or even every couple years and having a tangible benefit i.e. free rooms, then no question Caesars is the way to go. It really is the only rewards program that grants you a guaranteed room during your entire status period.

I have been told by a few hosts that to acquire Noir status at MGM that an actual committee monthly goes over eligible applicants. Now of course if you're Noir you're going to get a free room (surely a high end suite) at any of the MGM properties, but that's also because you're expected to play.

No matter what reward program you may be a top member at, if you stay and no play you will eventually (I'd say after the second trip) not receive comped rooms in advance.

The one kind of exception to this is the locals market. When I was chairman at Redrock, I got a monthly mailer that entitled me to two free rooms every month (some blackout dates) and that is besides what a host could extend as well.

There would be many weeks, even months that passed by without me playing there, yet I would still receive the monthly room offers as well as free play and some food voucher. I've been DNI'ed from there since 2015 so those offers have stopped.

I get a monthly mailer from Boyd/Coast casinos all the time that includes one free room per night at any of there dozen or so properties even though I haven't played there in well over a year. The general thinking is that a local isn't going to book a room at a joint like that and not play.

An interesting thing I started experimenting with a couple of years ago is that I figured out how most casinos market.

The Wynn for instance barely markerts to locals. I could (and have) gone in there and lost thousands of dollars and didn't receive as much as an offer for a casino rate room or a free buffet while others from out of town have played much less and received nice offers.

The way to circumvent this is to provide a non Vegas address. My aunt in Florida mails me each month offers from the Wynn and a handful of other properties or calls me if they are time sensitive offers.

My friend Larry was a big player at redrock who lived in Florida. He got many room offers but never any free play. He switched his address to a "locals one" and started getting $500 a week at the height of free play. He was able to run that free play through a machine where he could hedge and was guaranteed to recoup $475 of the $500 without any risk. Close to 2k a month from one property.

Zod

That is interesting and makes sense about the marketing.

The Wynn has always been ridiculous to get comps at. I get they want to be high end , but the amount of money you have to play to get any kind of attention is ridiculous. I played there many times over the years and had to pull teeth to get a tower suite room for 3 nights. And this is betting 1k a hand with over 100k+ in the cage. For the villas there apparently you need 1.5 mil credit line during the weekend or 500k during week.

I won 100k+ once in a night and that was the only time i got a call from my host. She asked me if i needed anything and sent up a cheese plate. She had been my host for over 5 years and that was the first time i heard her voice.

From a marketing standpoint i dont get it. Wynn rooms are high end but they are vacant a lot of the times during the week. You dont even need a high level gambler for them to make that back.

Load Metric

Zod

The Wynn has always been ridiculous to get comps at. I get they want to be high end , but the amount of money you have to play to get any kind of attention is ridiculous. I played there many times over the years and had to pull teeth to get a tower suite room for 3 nights. And this is betting 1k a hand with over 100k+ in the cage. For the villas there apparently you need 1.5 mil credit line during the weekend or 500k during week.

I won 100k+ once in a night and that was the only time i got a call from my host. She asked me if i needed anything and sent up a cheese plate. She had been my host for over 5 years and that was the first time i heard her voice.

From a marketing standpoint i dont get it. Wynn rooms are high end but they are vacant a lot of the times during the week. You dont even need a high level gambler for them to make that back.
    From what you mention here, it sounds like the Wynn considers you a "premium player" but not a "whale", as mentioned in this old doc on high rollers.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Zod

see this is what I don't get...yes some properties want to be high end, the most fancy, have the most buzz about being luxurious...but there are a finite number of people who can gamble that high consistently without getting burnt out...I get the Asian market is expanding because of china, but that will only last so long...if it's not already plateauing...its not like 8/9/10 figure worth people are being made everyday...basically ignoring people like you who are 1K hand/100K cage players seems fucking dumb...again these type of players aren't being made everyday, but there are a shitton more guys to chase on your level compared to the ultra high stakes level...and the casino is still gonna make an assload on you anyway...

figure you are worth about $900-1200/hour as a $1K/hand blackjack player...so per session about $4-5K and a trip like $12-15K...I mean shit if I can get you to come in once a quarter i'm getting $50-60K per year off of you pre-comp...I mean that aint too bad...

and anybody feel free to correct my worth math...but figure $1K/hand, 60 hands per hour, 1.5-2% house advantage...

Comments

Sanlmar: Your hate and Caesars stupidity coming through beautifully

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I actually tried experiments with an out of state and local address with Caesars, and for awhile the local Vegas address was better!

At the time, they were trying to brand Rio as a "locals" property (because they couldn't attract people there outside of WSOP time), and were sending constant offers of things like $75 freeplay twice per week. With a Vegas address, I got those. With a CA address, I did not get them, yet my other offers did not get better.

I went back to the Vegas address.

However, since then it seems they've done away with most of those locals offers, so I don't get them anymore. Now I'm not sure which one is better.

Load Metric

Zod

Nowadays you can get a salon suite for about half of that exposure C$. Your host at Wynn sucked.

The noir Card is nice. It definitely gets you a higher level of service. But Is in no way worth the cost. I had 7* at Caesars but found their properties miserable and depressing and their Comp program sophomoric. The only good part was they continued to hand out promo chips and free play to bribe us to visit their shitholes.

Thread Information