Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafood question - regarding store-bought live clams and oysters.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Seafood question - regarding store-bought live clams and oysters.

I have what I'm thinking should be an easy question, but I'm just looking for some opinions anyway.

I know, what an odd subject to be posting here, but this forum is looking pretty dead anyway and I'm sure there are a few seafood fans here....

Its regarding live clams and oysters:

I bought a bunch of both and stuck them in my refrigerator. The oysters have only been there for a few days and should be fine but the clams have been there for over a week.

Everything I read says live clams will go bad after a few days, but it also says to check and see if they are alive. Universal instructions seem to say if the shell stays open, they are dead and no good; and if their shell closes when you touch them, or if the shell is closed tightly at all, they are likely still alive.
    I still have a bunch that really look like they are alive

1) OK, are clams still considered FRESH if they are alive...even if it's been over a week or more, or should I still toss them?

2) If they are good, is there a step or something I should do (such as rinsing/soaking to take away any "fishy" residue that might be present)?

I mean, I would think the answer would be YES, but I haven't really found a clear definitive answer that satisfied me. I mean, i just don't want to get sick or anything...

What say you? (And I would appreciate to only hear from people who once again, are well versed/experienced on the subject)

Thanx

Banned
    Load Metric
    Dunno but is this too much for one crab leg?

Name:  IMG_1013.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  651.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1012.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  410.7 KB

Comments

Gordman: Chump change

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Your n-word childrens lips are gonna swell fucking big if they are allergic. Take pictures.

Load Metric
    sorry someone in pfa IM got me saying that horrible word more.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If a question ever comes up of, "Is this food too old to eat", I throw it away.

Comments

Shizzmoney: this

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    The oysters have only been there for a few days and should be fine but the clams have been there for over a week.

Name:  1490767513953.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  75.0 KB

Comments

lewfather: lol

Gordman: Hmmmmmm

big dick: lol
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    If a question ever comes up of, "Is this food too old to eat", I throw it away.
    Truthfully, this is my SOP almost all of the time. Someone could also counter and make the argument that "well you could technically use that excuse for just about anything food related based even only on your own opinion"

That aside, when i see something that looks to me like its clearly alive, well...then what? When we see fish swimming, we obv know that is damn fresh...same with other critters.
    But with clams/oysters, Googling leads you to most default answers saying that store bought live clams/oysters are only good for a few days +/-. Most of them say if they are a week old etc they are no good; but i think that is based on the assumption that they are likely dead.tell me, If i bought a live fish from the store and brought it home and kept it alive for a couple of weeks in a tank, would it be bad to eat? Of course not. But i still have that question in my head for clams etc because im not experienced in them.

Full disclosure: ive been drinking a ton today so please give me a break

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post

thank you lew for letting your thumbnail and cuticles run wild in honor of delaware

RIP *ya'll*

Comments

lewfather: lets check in on your life, oh ya, heroin. oops.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

thank you lew for letting your thumbnail and cuticles run wild in honor of delaware

RIP *ya'll*
    At least the suggest gratuity was based on the pretax amount. Some restaurants try to scam people and do it on the post tax amount. I am sure Druff has encountered this quite a few times.

Banned
    Load Metric

RIP *ya'll*
    Winter is rough in Detroit, but heroin will ruin your entire life.

*SHRUGS*

Comments

dick: you are an awful faggot

Load Metric
    Lew Severe what the fuck are you doing so special in your life that H wouldn't be better than. Oh noooooos I wouldn't be able to prance around in my gay shoes and take pictures of dinner bills that other people pay for if I was putting heroin up my nose.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I'm curious about Detroit clam chowder from let's receipt

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post
    I'm curious about Detroit clam chowder from let's receipt
    Willie, is H true?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittney Griner's Clit View Post
    Lew Severe what the fuck are you doing so special in your life that H wouldn't be better than. Oh noooooos I wouldn't be able to prance around in my gay shoes and take pictures of dinner bills that other people pay for if I was putting heroin up my nose.
    Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  26.5 KB

willie what's a better bang for your buck? banging h in to your arm or up your nose? did you consult fuhoser before you started rocking h? we have questions.

Load Metric
    Lew ballin so hard mofuckas wanna fine him.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Lew ballin so hard mofuckas wanna fine him.
    but first they have to find him.

Load Metric
    I have what I'm thinking should be an easy question, but I'm just looking for some opinions anyway.

I know, what an odd subject to be posting here, but this forum is looking pretty dead anyway and I'm sure there are a few seafood fans here....

I bought a bunch of both and stuck them in my refrigerator. The oysters have only been there for a few days and should be fine but the clams have been there for over a week.

Everything I read says live clams will go bad after a few days, but it also says to check and see if they are alive. Universal instructions seem to say if the shell stays open, they are dead and no good; and if their shell closes when you touch them, or if the shell is closed tightly at all, they are likely still alive.

1) OK, are clams still considered FRESH if they are alive...even if it's been over a week or more, or should I still toss them?

2) If they are good, is there a step or something I should do (such as rinsing/soaking to take away any "fishy" residue that might be present)?

I mean, I would think the answer would be YES, but I haven't really found a clear definitive answer that satisfied me. I mean, i just don't want to get sick or anything...

What say you? (And I would appreciate to only hear from people who once again, are well versed/experienced on the subject)

Thanx
    Good lord, throw out those clams 5 days ago. Cook your mollusks within a couple of days of purchase.

Also, next time you make clams, soak them in a solution of salt water and something like cornmeal to purge the clams of the sand otherwise they'll be unpleasantly gritty.

You can actually watch the clams "spit" out sandy water as they soak.

Comments

Gordman: Good info

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post

Thanx
    Good lord, throw out those clams 5 days ago. Cook your mollusks within a couple of days of purchase.

Also, next time you make clams, soak them in a solution of salt water and something like cornmeal to purge the clams of the sand otherwise they'll be unpleasantly gritty.

You can actually watch the clams "spit" out sandy water as they soak.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Those vids help alot. I had no idea about the soaking

Load Metric

RIP *ya'll*

*SHRUGS*
    winter can't be too bad in detroit for you to wear those gay ass topsiders the other day *ya'll*

do those "g-cups" distract from your huge cankles?

i've been clean for awhile, but would rather shoot dope everyday than be someone who has let their jabba-the-hut body go so far as to where they gets diabetes

and while i've been doing good, judging by those talons attached to your thumb i guess you can't be bothered to keep up with basic hygiene

i'm sorry you have no friends, and your life sucks that you have to insta-message anyone who logs-in to pfa while you are drunk

i make one post about your hygiene, and i wake up to neg-reps and a pm from you at 8:33 am YOUR TIME

BTW- I dug around and found some messages that you sent me about where your family lives in MI and when you come and visit them.

I'd be 100% happy to meet you.

druff, isn't it against TOS of your site to fuck with family members/personal info?

just asking but lewfrauder is a fucking idiot cause no one in my family has lived in michigan in 5 years

but maybe druff doesn't want to drop the hammer on lew cause he is on the site 24/7 like almost no one else

anyway, lewjabba, i hope your life gets better to the point where you don't have to go around stalking my every move (he has like 5 different twitter accounts that follow me) -- i've already blocked 3 or 4 but he just loves me so much he keeps making more, waiting on my every word. sad!

Comments

lewfather: Think I would just shut up if I were you.

dick: DESTROYED HIS FAT ASS

Banned
    Load Metric

*SHRUGS*
    winter can't be too bad in detroit for you to wear those gay ass topsiders the other day *ya'll*

do those "g-cups" distract from your huge cankles?

i've been clean for awhile, but would rather shoot dope everyday than be someone who has let their jabba-the-hut body go so far as to where they gets diabetes

and while i've been doing good, judging by those talons attached to your thumb i guess you can't be bothered to keep up with basic hygiene

i'm sorry you have no friends, and your life sucks that you have to insta-message anyone who logs-in to pfa while you are drunk

i make one post about your hygiene, and i wake up to neg-reps and a pm from at 8:33 am YOUR TIME

BTW- I dug around and found some messages that you sent me about where your family lives in MI and when you come and visit them.

I'd be 100% happy to meet you.

druff, isn't it against TOS of your site to fuck with family members/personal info?

just asking cause lewfrauder is a fucking idiot cause no one in my family has lived in michigan in 5 years

but maybe druff doesn't want to drop the hammer on lew cause he is on the site 24/7 like almost no one else

anyway, lewjabba, i hope your life gets better to the point where you don't have to go around stalking my every move (he has like 5 different twitter accounts that follow me) -- i've already blocked 3 or 4 but he just loves me so much he keeps making more, waiting in my every word. sad!
    Only skimmed through this but just wanted to point out the obvious, nobody wears sperry top siders in the winter in michigan. *yall* you must be banging more H if you thought that was a serious post.

Also you TOLD me about your family in Michigan, did I pull that out of thin air? Nope. More H I would assume?

Do you want me to start speaking truth? because I can get very nasty.

Thread Information