I have what I'm thinking should be an easy question, but I'm just looking for some opinions anyway.

I know, what an odd subject to be posting here, but this forum is looking pretty dead anyway and I'm sure there are a few seafood fans here....

Its regarding live clams and oysters:

I bought a bunch of both and stuck them in my refrigerator. The oysters have only been there for a few days and should be fine but the clams have been there for over a week.

Everything I read says live clams will go bad after a few days, but it also says to check and see if they are alive. Universal instructions seem to say if the shell stays open, they are dead and no good; and if their shell closes when you touch them, or if the shell is closed tightly at all, they are likely still alive.
I still have a bunch that really look like they are alive

1) OK, are clams still considered FRESH if they are alive...even if it's been over a week or more, or should I still toss them?

2) If they are good, is there a step or something I should do (such as rinsing/soaking to take away any "fishy" residue that might be present)?

I mean, I would think the answer would be YES, but I haven't really found a clear definitive answer that satisfied me. I mean, i just don't want to get sick or anything...

What say you? (And I would appreciate to only hear from people who once again, are well versed/experienced on the subject)

Thanx