Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amy Schumer's Netflix special rated 1 star -- is the alt right to blame?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    If a group planned to hurt her career they should be ignored. And they just got one more person to take a look. I have only seen Schumer on Comedians... with Seinfeld so no real opinion going in.

I've watched 7 minutes and the audience is into it. The leather tour idea is a joke she's having on herself. You don't wear tight black leather these days or ever if you have her build, so she's using it comedically, not trying to be something she isn't.

Women comedians have it harder than any male even when they're good. Comedians are like Muslims, you have to assess them individually

Ok, another few minutes in and I've had a robust chortle or two. She's going where few others go and the women in the crowd are relating with guffaws.
    That's good comedy when you say something most people might only think and well within the bounds or decency. She's a Chris Farley type using her appearance to the max.
    The audience laughter is fairly muted from what I saw, given that these were all FANS of hers who PAID to see her.

It's not a random assortment of people off the street.

The "I'm a vulgar female, so therefore I'm funny" act is played out.

She was at her best when she did her "Inside Amy Schumer" series, where at least the skits were more self-effacing and less aboout gratuitous vulgarity.

Now her humor is pretty much, "I'm a slut, my vagina smells, men are gross, Donald Trump is a Nazi, and I'm fat."

Not funny.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I forgot to mention.

Like a day after this whole controversy erupted, Netflix announced they were doing away with "star" ratings, and changing it to a simple thumbs up/down system.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14...thumbs-up-down

Presumably this wasn't a coincidence, and perhaps Schumer's people leaned on them to do so.
    FFS, Druff!!! A mega-billion dollar media company is going to cave to pressure from the "people" of a single feminist comedienne??? What the fuck are you smoking???

So you think it's a coincidence that they removed the star rating system IMMEDIATELY after the first public controversy about their star rating system?

Of course Schumer's people could have an influence here, especially if her agent represents other stars, and that agent claims they will stay away from Netflix until something is done to thwart the alt-right trolls.

You have no idea how much petty bullshit goes on behind the scenes in the entertainment industry, where egos are beyond fragile.

Load Metric
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

FFS, Druff!!! A mega-billion dollar media company is going to cave to pressure from the "people" of a single feminist comedienne??? What the fuck are you smoking???

So you think it's a coincidence that they removed the star rating system IMMEDIATELY after the first public controversy about their star rating system?

Of course Schumer's people could have an influence here, especially if her agent represents other stars, and that agent claims they will stay away from Netflix until something is done to thwart the alt-right trolls.

You have no idea how much petty bullshit goes on behind the scenes in the entertainment industry, where egos are beyond fragile.
    and what's your expierence? A 60 minutes interview?

Comments

lvpkr1009: That was actually pretty funny rep

JACKDANIELS: got him

nunbeater: lol got you good fucker

Henry:

MumblesBadly: LOL!!!
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post

Are you asserting I am incorrect about Hollywood having a lot of behind-the-scenes petty bullshit where egos are beyond fragile?

Banned
    Load Metric
    Are you asserting I am incorrect about Hollywood having a lot of behind-the-scenes petty bullshit where egos are beyond fragile?
    Plus you have more experience in the industry than LOL 60 mins, you were in a documentary too! Among other things like for instance larrance look at Todd scoping these story boards.

Name:  todd.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  17.5 KB

Load Metric
    what im asserting is, your knowledge of the inside of hollywood is about as good as anyone elses. Sure it has that. I can read a clickbait internet article too. But you're inferring that AMY SCHUMER is a big enough celebrity that she influenced NETFLIX. I gotta echo mumbles here, and ask, what are you smoking?

Amy Schumer didn't do anything but have a shitty standup special, and then complained that it was "internet trolls" causing it. That was not the case. maybe the public just doesn't like her comedy, i don't know.

Now, you have a point, in all her comedy is essentially the same thing. this i can totally agree.

Also, stand up comedy is hard dude. You can't play a fucking laughtrack.

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Druff, you should ban yourself from posting shit about women just because they are successful. It's embarassing and you should be above this. She's a popular comedienne and got a special on Netflix.

You can put this in the same basket as bashing Marissa Mayer (another woman who did very well to negotiate a great contract) and the female Ghostbusters reboot. If either of these were women it would not even be posted.

Druff, you're a great guy, but this rampant misogyny needs to go.

Comments

MumblesBadly: It's a massive blindspot he just can't see. Oh, well.

Load Metric
    I forgot to mention.

Like a day after this whole controversy erupted, Netflix announced they were doing away with "star" ratings, and changing it to a simple thumbs up/down system.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14...thumbs-up-down

Presumably this wasn't a coincidence, and perhaps Schumer's people leaned on them to do so.
    Druff, this is by far the dumbest thing I've read on the internet all day. And I've been on the internet all day.

Comments

Henry:
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Who is Amy shcumer?

Load Metric
    todge hasnt had his shit packed in this good since morton uncoiled the sicilian lumber

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Those doubting that Schumer's people may have influenced Netflix's decision don't understand the way it works in Hollywood.

I'm not saying that Netflix did this JUST for Schumer, but rather she probably created enough of a headache for them to where they scrapped something they didn't care much about anyway (the stars ratings system).

I could see it going like this:

Schumer's Agent: Those 1-star ratings are all alt-right trolls. We want you guys to remove them.

Netflix: We can't remove them because we can't see who is an alt-right troll and who isn't. Sorry, but while we agree you probably are a victim of trolling here, there's no way to determine which ratings were bogus.

Schumer's Agent: Then just remove all the ratings for this special, so no ratings show up.

Netflix: We can't do that, either. Our system doesn't allow for that. Everything can get rated, and if we were to start turning off ratings when the stars or production company compains, we would be on a slippery slope that we don't want. Again, we understand your point, but there's nothing we can do.

Schumer's Agent: That's crap. There has to be a solution here. You can't let trolls ruin Amy's Netflix projects just because they hate her. This can adversely affect her career. I don't feel comfortable having Amy doing specials for you guys anymore. I don't feel comfortable having anyone I represent working with Netflix until this is addressed. I'm going to put the word out to other agents about this, as well.

Netflix: Hang on. We will discuss it internally and see what we can do.

(Later that day...)

Netflix: Good news! We've decided to remove the star system and make it thumbs up and thumbs down. While the same thing can still happen, it will be less effective because even those who moderately like the program will give it a thumbs up, which will fully counter a thumbs down, whereas a 3-star rating wouldn't have fully countered a 1-star rating.

It's also quite possible that they just decided they didn't want the headache and changed it without much leaning by Schumer's people.

But you're smoking some pretty potent stuff if you think Schumer and/or her people didn't attempt to complain about this, or if you believe the timing was a coincidence.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Druff, you should ban yourself from posting shit about women just because they are successful. It's embarassing and you should be above this. She's a popular comedienne and got a special on Netflix.

You can put this in the same basket as bashing Marissa Mayer (another woman who did very well to negotiate a great contract) and the female Ghostbusters reboot. If either of these were women it would not even be posted.

Druff, you're a great guy, but this rampant misogyny needs to go.
    There's no misogyny. Are you saying I never bash famous men on this forum? I do it all the time.

I would have written the identical post if this same thing happened to a male comedian.

The female Ghostbusters reboot sucked, and Marisa Mayer did get her job because of her gender and looks. That is, if she were a dude with the identical career prior to Yahoo, Mayer would not have been hired as CEO of Yahoo. She accomplished some nice things over at Google and was apparently good at her job over there, but that alone wouldn't have gotten her hired. Hiring a pretty, late-30s female CEO was a great distraction from the embarrassing previous hire -- a man who lied about his college degree!

Oh, and guess what? I created a thread at the time bashing the MALE CEO who was fired prior to Mayer. How do you explain that one, if this is all about misogyny?

Sorry, but it's not misogyny if I have negative things to say about certain people who happen to be women. The vast majority of non-PFAers I've criticized in posts here have been male.

Load Metric
    Netflix doesn't care about it's ratings system? Wow, you are really out of your league on this one. They've literally be testing this for like a year now. Netflix algorithm is integral to their platform.
    Netflix has been experimenting with the thumb system for months. Last year, the company switched some subscribers to the new system as a beta test and found that the thumb model increased user reviews by about 200 percent. That might be because there’s no middle ground, like the two- to four-star ratings.

Even though the new system has fewer options, Yellin said, it will better represent how people really feel about what they’re watching. The thumbs-up, thumbs-down model implies that a user is being asked for their opinion. On the other hand, the star-system is seen as more merit-based, Yellin said, and many users often gave critically acclaimed content high praise.

“What’s more powerful: You telling me you would give five stars to the documentary about unrest in the Ukraine; that you’d give three stars to the latest Adam Sandler movie; or that you’d watch the Adam Sandler movie 10 times more frequently?” Yellin asked. “What you do versus what you say you like are different things.”

Comments

MumblesBadly: Owning Druff's paranoid mysogeny rep
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    "Netflix Wants to Ditch 5 star rating system". Weird that this article is from January 2016. They must've foreseen the B-list comedian controversy.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/netfl...ratings-2016-1

Comments

Henry:
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Honestly, go listen to their quarterly conference calls. They constantly talk about their recommendation algorithm, and a big part of that is optimizing the way ratings are done. Like they've literally spent millions of dollars trying to better their recommendations algorithm. Netflix wants people to watch and discover as much good content as possible as they're more likely to stay subscribed. Seeing what the rating is for a show is literally the #1 thing I look at before I start watching something new, and probably most people feel the same way. To say the ratings system is something Netflix "probably doesn't care much about anyway" is astoundingly wrong.
    TRUMP 2024!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Honestly, go listen to their quarterly conference calls. They constantly talk about their recommendation algorithm, and a big part of that is optimizing the way ratings are done. Like they've literally spent millions of dollars trying to better their recommendations algorithm. Netflix wants people to watch and discover as much good content as possible as they're more likely to stay subscribed. Seeing what the rating is for a show is literally the #1 thing I look at before I start watching something new, and probably most people feel the same way. To say the ratings system is something Netflix "probably doesn't care much about anyway" is astoundingly wrong.
    So you really think this timing was pure coincidence?

Given everything you posted above (which I didn't know or attempt to research when floating my theory about Schumer's people), it now looks to me that they already had pretty much decided to change the ratings system, but hastened its implementation to get ahead of the Schumer controversy, which was already making mainstream news.

I have a hard time believing that the date of implementation just happened to fall right after Schumer complained to the mainstream media about alt-right trolls gaming the Netflix 5-star rating system.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Given everything you posted above (which I didn't know or attempt to research when floating my crazy theories), I was wrong
    FYP
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I think that what PLOL is saying is that they changed their rating scale based off the mediocre product that they've been rolling out, I don't really agree with this because they just released a bill burr special, jim norton and two dave chappelle specials that are coming out tomorrow plus another following.

buttt there is a lot of dog shit netflix exclusive shows/specials they've put out recently.

Load Metric
    druff. how big is that tin foil hat?

you don't believe in coincidences. neither does Alex Jones or any other retarded conspiracy theorist.

George Steinbrenner

Thread Information