Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone offered user location info for BTC, what should I do?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Someone offered user location info for BTC, what should I do?

I deleted a message in the bitcoin thread from a user who offered to give users' location info in exchange for BTC.

I had originally thought that message was a joke (as he has no access to any of PFA's IP information), but there actually are ways that non-admin users can determine your IP address (if you know, please don't post it here).

While an IP address tends to only reveal your general area and doesn't have identifying information, I still don't want this going on, and I definitely don't want people attempting to sell such info.

If anyone attempts such things here, they will be permabanned from the site.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW, I deleted a message in this thread who offered to give users' location info in exchange for BTC.

I had originally thought that message was a joke (as he has no access to any of PFA's IP information), but there actually are ways that non-admin users can determine your IP address (if you know, please don't post it here).

While an IP address tends to only reveal your general area and doesn't have identifying information, I still don't want this going on, and I definitely don't want people attempting to sell such info.

You don't even have the decency to address me directly. Maybe it wouldn't be such a threat if you returned innocent PMs or if vBulletin developers actually added vulnerabilities to the NVD in real-time.

vBulletin has many vulnerabilities, especially with particular add-ons. There are various exploits which allow one to access permissions and self-deem an admin.

Update: Did receive PM, but still. Wack. All I wanted was to play in the free-roll...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GringoStar View Post
    BTW, I deleted a message in this thread who offered to give users' location info in exchange for BTC.

You don't even have the decency to address me directly. Maybe it wouldn't be such a threat if you returned innocent PMs or if vBulletin developers actually added vulnerabilities to the NVD in real-time.

vBulletin has many vulnerabilities, especially with particular add-ons. There are various exploits which allow one to access permissions and self-deem an admin.

Update: Did receive PM, but still. Wack. All I wanted was to play in the free-roll...
    I don't understand what any of the above has to do with you offering user location info for BTC.

How did you think that was okay?

Also, I'd be very surprised if you could get into the admin of this site. I wrote in various counter measures against that years ago.

Load Metric
    Site=Joke

The idiot that setup this forum has it configured so that passwords are sent in the clear when you login.

Comments

dick: quit being a faggot, your balls are showing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Load Metric

I don't understand what any of the above has to do with you offering user location info for BTC.

Also, I'd be very surprised if you could get into the admin of this site. I wrote in various counter measures against that years ago.

I certainly recognize your interest in seeking back-up by starting a thread about this, but so be it.

Perhaps you missed what led to that post, as it immediately followed you sharing the general IP location of both Larry and myself. I don't think I should have to point out that there is a degree of obvious hypocrisy at-hand here, only I made a clearly facetious offer to accept payment, while you seemed to do it because Larry pissed off your sycophants and I made a jab about your living off old fame.

I get that this site is an offshoot of 2+2 and basically part fan club and part internet troll collective, but I came expecting some basic ethics regarding privacy of my information as well as the opportunity to be included in the game, so pretty much everything I said pertained to the post offering geolocation of users.

As for your security measures... is that a challenge?

Comments

Deal: Russian assistance not required

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I certainly recognize your interest in seeking back-up by starting a thread about this, but so be it.

Perhaps you missed what led to that post, as it immediately followed you sharing the general IP location of both Larry and myself. I don't think I should have to point out that there is a degree of obvious hypocrisy at-hand here, only I made a clearly facetious offer to accept payment, while you seemed to do it because Larry pissed off your sycophants and I made a jab about your living off old fame.

I get that this site is an offshoot of 2+2 and basically part fan club and part internet troll collective, but I came expecting some basic ethics regarding privacy of my information as well as the opportunity to be included in the game, so pretty much everything I said pertained to the post offering geolocation of users.

Larry has said many times that he's in Chicago.

He has also said that you're a friend of his locally.

I did not reveal anything new.

I posted that you're in Chicago with a different IP than Larry as a favor to the both of you, so people stop accusing you of being an "obvious Larry dupe" (which you still might be).

This site is not and never will be an offshoot of 2+2.

Comments

snowtracks: LOL 2+2 offshoot rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Site=Joke

The idiot that setup this forum has it configured so that passwords are sent in the clear when you login.
    I don't have anything "configured" that way.

I have it the way vBulletin does it.

By all means, though, if someone thinks they can access the admin to this site (either root access or admin to the forum), go ahead and show me.

I will banhammer any IPs which brute force attack and bog down the server, though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I will be migrating this site to https fairly soon, though, but mainly because various browsers are bitching about it now.

Load Metric

I posted that you're in Chicago with a different IP than Larry as a favor to the both of you, so people stop accusing you of being an "obvious Larry dupe" (which you still might be).

I believe that you may not really see how transparently disingenuous your "favor" was. Larry also never said that I was local to him, but I don't really care, it is more a matter of principle. If I cared that much about being found, I would use a VPN or a proxy.

You and others have been a complete dick to me, so I think it's only appropriate that I return the favor.

And your threats of "permaban" are just further evidence of selective retribution. You warn me after one post threatening the swiss cheese security of this site, while you allow others to continually post garbage about their cons out of foreign countries.

You can only ban my IP anyway. You would much rather have me here in the clear and know where I am than have me return as a phantom with much more spite in my blood.

Load Metric

I posted that you're in Chicago with a different IP than Larry as a favor to the both of you, so people stop accusing you of being an "obvious Larry dupe"
    (which you still might be).

Gringo, that is how I saw it, also. And I like you and Larry.

Wait a minute! I was in the Chicago area for the last few weeks or so... Am I talking to myself???

Comments

Crowe Diddly: i lol'd rep
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    TIGHT SITE

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I believe that you may not really see how transparently disingenuous your "favor" was. Larry also never said that I was local to him, but I don't really care, it is more a matter of principle. If I cared that much about being found, I would use a VPN or a proxy.

You and others have been a complete dick to me, so I think it's only appropriate that I return the favor.

And your threats of "permaban" are just further evidence of selective retribution. You warn me after one post threatening the swiss cheese security of this site, while you allow others to continually post garbage about their cons out of foreign countries.

You can only ban my IP anyway. You would much rather have me here in the clear and know where I am than have me return as a phantom with much more spite in my blood.
    I beg to differ.

Comments

SysOp: RIGHT IN HIS GOOK FACE

nunbeater: lol

gimmick:

Load Metric
    why'd my alter ego go off the rails?

yikes.

Mumbles what do we do?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    c'mon todger if you're gonna ban one of your toddlers its gotta be larry

Load Metric
    larry i'd suggest you stop posting as a show of solidarity with your fallen comrade

Comments

Tellafriend: One time

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, the correct answer here was, "Sorry, I was just messing around because I was mad about my location being disclosed. I won't do it again."

Instead, I got a bunch of justification of how it's ok to threaten to reveal user info in order to punish me. Then he made unsubstantiated claims that this site has bad security, and that my only hope is to leave him unbanned in order to stave off the armageddon he will otherwise rain down upon the place.

That doesn't fly with me.

Comments

nunbeater: offset accidental neg rep above

Tegnation22:

Load Metric
    I blame Larry, since one time he asked druff to indeed verify that gringo was not a dupe. And so the dominoes fell...

Load Metric
    Being the business man that I am.

I will NOT post users IP address and still accept your bitcoin.

That is all.

Gold
    Load Metric
    So begins the era of the poor man's emoney.

Load Metric

I don't have anything "configured" that way.

I have it the way vBulletin does it.
    You don't have an SSL cert on your server. That is YOUR choice of configuration and nothing to do with how vBulletin works.

Blame the vendor? Are you a trumpster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post
    I have always tried to carry myself with a high level of integrity in the poker community and I take it very personally when someone calls that in to question.

Thread Information