Thread: You had a good run, Uber.

Load Metric

You had a good run, Uber.

Once upon a time, a Google employee on their self driving car team named Anthony Levandowski quit.

But shortly before he left, he plugged an external hard drive into his laptop and downloaded 14,000+ technical files.

Then he started his own automated car company called Otto.

Then Uber bought Otto for like half a bil.

And now Google is setting the hook and firing the Mother Of All Lawsuits using the law passed in May designed to harvest souls of Chinese industrial spies.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/google...-execs-prison/

Uber just might be a fucking wrap.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Don't know what will come of this but one way or another I hope Uber gets its comeuppance because it is run by pieces of shit and it represents everything that is wrong with the direction in which America is headed. Never used it, never will.

Comments

Shizzmoney: uber sucks rep

thesparten: Green train
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    February was a very bad month for Uber.

However, 500m USD isn't enough to sink them and they are fairly diversified at this point, now printing money in the auto-leasing and last-mile delivery space as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but my guess is that Lyft will see a bump and we may see more ridesharing platforms rise to the national/international level and compete, but I don't see this as anything more than a way for the eventual buyer of Uber (Apple, Google, Amazon) to shave a few billion off of the price. Unfortunately, Uber employs way too many people for anything to change too quickly here.
    Last edited by GringoStar; 03-06-2017 at 04:33 AM.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I think Donald Trump is paying Uber to be shite, just so there is one outfit that has a worse PR than he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Don't know what will come of this but one way or another I hope Uber gets its comeuppance because it is run by pieces of shit and it represents everything that is wrong with the direction in which America is headed. Never used it, never will.
    I actually was speaking with someone who drove for them for 2 months and stopped..

In the beginning everyone was like "get Boku bucks" drive Uber.

Now they make commercials saying if you need a couple Xtra bucks Uber is for you,,lol..

My friend wS doing literally 10 hours a day 5 days a week and didn't even break $400 clean after commission and expenses. And probably owes taxes on that $390 a week he was making..

Hate Uber.

Won't use them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post
    I actually was speaking with someone who drove for them for 2 months and stopped..

Now they make commercials saying if you need a couple Xtra bucks Uber is for you,,lol..

My friend wS doing literally 10 hours a day 5 days a week and didn't even break $400 clean after commission and expenses. And probably owes taxes on that $390 a week he was making..

Hate Uber.

Won't use them.
    They lowered their fares as gas prices jumped and various additional fees were added to drivers. They require drivers to take on UberPool requests, where someone can pay you $3 to drive them on a trip that used to be $18.

They lessened their surge pricing.

The biggest problem with them, that only drivers know about, is the fact that you can't call and talk to someone. You write them an email and they respond 3 hours later or 3 days later with some 2 sentence response that likely has little to do with your question or issue.

XChange Leasing (an Uber subsidiary) is even more of a scam.
    Last edited by GringoStar; 03-06-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

Hate Uber.

Won't use them.
    Kinda like you @ the pizza joint, eh?

Load Metric
    NPR "How I Built This" podcasts
    http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this

The Lyft story is one of the top 4.

Nolan Bushnell / Atari is there too. Absolutely god. Anything you can read about Bushnell is worth your time.

A machine would cost $1.5k to the buyer. A good machine would net $30k. Bushnell realized he was on the wrong side as a manufacturer. Chuck E Cheese was an excuse to get on the right side of the machine.

Crate & Barrel was a cool listen too. The rise of retail pre venture capital is chronicaled. So timely as we witness the death of physical retail. Crate & Barrel would never happen today
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 03-06-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    NPR "How I Built This" podcasts
    http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510313/how-i-built-this

The Lyft story is one of the top 4.

Nolan Bushnell / Atari is there too. Absolutely god. Anything you can read about Bushnell is worth your time.

A machine would cost $1.5k to the buyer. A good machine would net $30k. Bushnell realized he was on the wrong side as a manufacturer. Chuck E Cheese was an excuse to get on the right side of the machine.

Crate & Barrel was a cool listen too. The rise of retail pre venture capital is chronicaled. So timely as we witness the death of physical retail. Crate & Barrel would never happen today
    Check out the AirBnB one if you haven't heard it yet. Although, it's a dangerous drug because I leave these podcasts thinking for a brief moment that I could start a billion dollar company if I just start scraping and put all my effort into one highly unlikely idea.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Skip to about 3:50.

CEO goes off on an Uber driver during an argument about the rates for drivers.

Story is about a week old, but LOL @ his subsequent statement:

By now I’m sure you’ve seen the video where I treated an Uber driver disrespectfully. To say that I am ashamed is an extreme understatement. My job as your leader is to lead…and that starts with behaving in a way that makes us all proud. That is not what I did, and it cannot be explained away.

It’s clear this video is a reflection of me—and the criticism we’ve received is a stark reminder that I must fundamentally change as a leader and grow up. This is the first time I’ve been willing to admit that I need leadership help and I intend to get it.

I want to profoundly apologize to Fawzi, as well as the driver and rider community, and to the Uber team.

—Travis
    https://newsroom.uber.com/a-profound-apology/

The bolded part is hilarious. While the guy definitely lost his cool and was kind of a jerk, for a large company's CEO to make a public statement that he "needs leadership help" is beyond moronic.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And then of course, there was this: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...ring-Uber-ride

My sister also had a recent bad experience with Uber, where she had a driver who looked very scary/shady, but fortunately nothing happened.

She also said she won't be using it again.

Gold
    Load Metric
    cabs are never going to make a comeback either.

So who is my driver 5 years from now?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookygook View Post

you will just hail the self-driving vehicle from the vendor of your choice. There will be no driver involved.

Comments

Henry: :popcorn

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

you will just hail the self-driving vehicle from the vendor of your choice. There will be no driver involved.
    In 5 years? I think it's safe to say there will be many more self-driving cars on the road, but I still see it being fairly contained and potentially still requiring someone behind the wheel, for insurance/liability reasons.

The cultural and bureaucratic lags, with things like insurance, are the the main anchors that are restricting things from not happening sooner. Also, it's an infrastructure problem. While the guys who work in machine-learning and AI are developing new strategies all the time, I don't see them getting around issues of potholes and lack of paint on the road and smaller issues that are factors outside of the rider, driver, or car's control.

I'm no expert, but my bet would be that 10-15 years we will have mostly automated vehicles, but 5 years will see many more contained environments (maybe even smaller cities or large areas) that have been designed or fully re-fitted for the purpose of catering to a fully automated fleet of cars.
    Last edited by GringoStar; 03-07-2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: spelling errors, why?

Banned
    Load Metric
    And then of course, there was this: http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...ring-Uber-ride

My sister also had a recent bad experience with Uber, where she had a driver who looked very scary/shady, but fortunately nothing happened.

She also said she won't be using it again.
    kind of feel like it's -ev for women to uber alone, especially if its a fri/sat night. even though cabs are hella disgusting if you're a woman you might want to consider cabbing it up on those bar nights when you're alone. despite what tine says, I'd still be bullish on uber. until these cab companies can somehow compete against them, they will be in trouble.

I know a guy who drove for uber, he quit because naturally someone ran a redlight and tboned him. but before that he told me that basically it was a lot of driving prostitutes around to hotels, ubering to/from bars and driving around drug dealers.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    it was a lot of driving prostitutes around to hotels, ubering to/from bars and driving around drug dealers.

so its basically the bitcoins of transportation.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    it was a lot of driving prostitutes around to hotels, ubering to/from bars and driving around drug dealers.

so its basically the bitcoins of transportation.
    never thought about it that way but you make a great point lol.

Load Metric
    They're called African Americans, Druff
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Waymo and similar companies
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Thread Information