Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fernando Rosas, Jaclynn Moskow allege Jason Mercier spreading cheating rumors about them

Blog Entries
    Shout out to AA88 in the middle and Q high up top at 4:40 in the video.

Also shout out to Jaclynn's smart girl glasses. Also, apparently she's lost weight.

Blog Entries
    Here is Fernando's OFC stream from August 2016:

Blog Entries
    This was an essay written by Fernando in October 2010 at Stanford:

(only part of the essay is shown, as you need an account to view the rest)

Stanford Intro Sem essays

As a paid and experienced (4+ years) translator who understands the essence and functioning of computer science I have wondered if it’s possible to create a computer program that will perform the art of translationas well as a human. Although a very intriguing and difficult task I believe that the answer is yes. Furthermore, I have the goal of creating a methodology that will allow computers to translate just as a human translator would.

While reading the description for the seminar I knew that the instruction provided in this class will bring new enlightenment in retrospect. In other words, I will beable to interconnect my translation experience and my logical capabilities derived from computer science into one element of mutual comprehension. As a translator I understand that translating the MEANING, not the words treated as independent entities, of the source language into the target language can sometimes be a very difficult task; especially when dealing with idiomatic or vulgarexpressions. As an amateur computer scientist I comprehend that trying to translate one language into another one will be a very challenging task since the meanings of most words depend on the context surrounding them. Lastly, as a human I’ve come to realize that sometimes we do not only translate languages, but also pictures, images, or any type of object that seems or is conveying a message.

Theart of translating is a unique form of understanding that can be extremely complex or incredibly simple to implement. I have been intrigued by the science of translation for various years and this seminar will serve as a source of light that will reveal important aspects of translation that I do not know about. Moreover, understanding the limits and intricacies of translation will enhance my futuretranslation projects.

Spanish – native (I have lived in a multicultural region where three languages are spoken zone)

English - fluent

French – beginner

Spanglish - fluent (Although not an official language, I believe that the fact that it exists reveals profound information regarding linguistics and neuroscience.)

Java - Good understanding of basic programming skills. ( Took acollege course in CS data structures and algorithms and passed the Advanced Placement Computer Science A exam.)

Moreover, understanding the limits and complexities of translation will enhance my future translation projects.

As a curious and innovative thinker I am always pondering about problems that could enhance mankind in one way or another. How to create more efficient transportationsystem that eliminates the possibility of accidents, how to create an international economy that would benefit the entire population and not only the U.S., or how to design extremely cheap materials that would drastically improve the quality of live in third world countries. Although many of the solutions that great philosophers discover are in conflict with the political, religious, or moral, weneed to start developing a mind that looks for the most optimum solutions for the world as a whole.

When the word design comes to my mind I apply it to an amplified domain that goes from mathematical to social problems. The problems that Mexico, especially frontier cities as Ciudad Juárez (a border town of my hometown, El Paso), has faced due to drug trafficking are outstandingly atrocious....
    http://www.buenastareas.com/ensayos/...ys/980410.html

Blog Entries
    My analysis:

Fernando's video proves only one thing: That he's a very smart and mathematically-minded guy.

After watching that video, as well as watching portions of the stream from August 2016, there's no doubt that Fernando has a very good understanding of OFC.

However, that does not prove he wasn't cheating, but instead only proves that Fernando understands the game very well.

You might say, "If Fernando understands the game very well, then shouldn't you give him credit for being a great player who can beat most of the people on the app, without assistance?"

The short answer is: Not necessarily.

As someone who has been programming for 35 years, I can tell you that you need a fairly deep understanding of any subject before you write a program to simulate or solve it.

Simply put, the understanding comes from the programmer, and the machine does the computational work.

An excellent programmer wouldn't necessarily be able to develop a Pineapple OFC bot. He would need to also understand advanced OFC strategy, as well as the statistics and mathematics associated with the game.

Fernando definitely possesses the mathematical/statistical knowledge of the game, and also seems to understand advanced strategy. Could he wrote a program to assist him in play? Possibly. He definitely had some dabblings in programming prior to October 2010, and it's very possible that in the subsequent 5 years, he became a good enough programmer to design a Pineapple OFC bot.

After watching Fernando's video, I think it's likely (though not certain) that he wasn't outright cheating, as Mercier suggested in his post. That is, I don't believe Fernando was able to control the cards coming out, nor was he able to see what was coming. Is it possible he was cheating in this way? Sure, but we aren't seeing enough in Fernando's background to indicate that he possesses the skills to do this, nor are we seeing evidence that the app was indeed vulnerable.

I think it's much more likely that Fernando developed some sort of "helper bot" -- perhaps one he ran offline on another device, by inputting the cards he received either manually or automatically in some way.

One problem with OFC apps is that they don't have any kind of timer, nor does your opponent have any clue what you're doing in the background. If Fernando developed some sort of OFC Pineapple bot, which he ran on his laptop at home, he could easily enter the cards into the bot and be told the optimal moves to make.

His analysis of Mercier's TonyBet High Roller hands is of interest for two reasons. First, that segment was clearly a jab at Mercier, because it seeks to humiliate him and "prove" he's nowhere as good as he thinks he is. Second, and more importantly, provided that Fernando's mathematical analysis is correct, it shows how large an edge a math-perfect approach could have over a "feel" player -- even an excellent one like Mercier. This doesn't disprove the botting accusations, but instead reinforces how much a math-based approach to the game could lead to dominating the competition.

You might ask, "If Fernando was really using a bot for assistance on the app, why would he play people live?"

If you were to be directed by a bot over many thousands of hands of OFC, you would learn a lot. Fernando wouldn't have been some schlub pressing buttons. If he did have a helper bot, he would be learning more and more about proper OFC strategy every day. It would be a no-brainer to feel that you probably learned enough perfect strategy from the bot to take the training wheels off and challenge those some opponents live. In fact, beating them live would be a great cover for continuing to win on the app with the bot's existence.

So if that's true, why would Fernando have struggled live, and perhaps made that infamous AA88 mistake? Because sometimes taking what you know in theory and using it in practice is tough -- especially in a new and unfamiliar environment.

Keep in mind that I am NOT accusing Fernando of anything. I still don't know if he used a bot or cheated in any way. It's very possible that he's innocent, and is simply a really smart guy who learned OFC better than the so-called "best players in the world". He definitely seems to have the brains to be capable of that.

But he also definitely has the capability to have produced a bot to help him have a towering edge over human opponents, and that can't be ignored.

I do think that the only way to solve this would be some sort of live match (either live on the app or live with regular cards), where Fernando's play is analyzed, and it is seen whether he can play as well as he did during his killer run on the app.

Cliffs: A guy accused of cheating/botting makes a response video showing how good he is at mathematics and statistical analysis as it applies to OFC. That actually harms his case more than helps it, in my opinion.

Comments

SysOp: good read, figuratively and literally

Blog Entries
    My gut feeling at the moment, however, is that Jaclynn is innocent.

It's possible that Fernando trained Jaclynn with some important things he learned from his deep OFC analysis, which Jaclynn then used to quickly up her game. Regardless of what you think of Jaclynn's personality, she's clearly a smart woman.

Jaclynn and Fernando had several differences in the way they approached the OFC app.

- Fernando would take on literally anyone, while Jaclynn had certain people she would not play.

- Fernando offered all kinds of crazy incentives to get people to play him, including players known to be great at OFC. Jaclynn did not do this.

- Jaclynn was not crushing the competition on the app at the same rate Fernando was.

- Jaclynn's initial response was a clear and straightforward challenge to play live against anyone she beat on the app. Fernando seemed to dance around that to some extent, until finally agreeing.

I think if Jaclynn was using a cheat or a bot, we would have heard the same stories of crushing everyone and overly eager play like we did about Fernando.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

It's possible that Fernando trained Jaclynn with some important things he learned from his deep OFC analysis, which Jaclynn then used to quickly up her game. Regardless of what you think of Jaclynn's personality, she's clearly a smart woman.

Jaclynn and Fernando had several differences in the way they approached the OFC app.

- Fernando would take on literally anyone, while Jaclynn had certain people she would not play.

- Fernando offered all kinds of crazy incentives to get people to play him, including players known to be great at OFC. Jaclynn did not do this.

- Jaclynn was not crushing the competition on the app at the same rate Fernando was.

- Jaclynn's initial response was a clear and straightforward challenge to play live against anyone she beat on the app. Fernando seemed to dance around that to some extent, until finally agreeing.

I think if Jaclynn was using a cheat or a bot, we would have heard the same stories of crushing everyone and overly eager play like we did about Fernando.
    If they were both using the same bot, would there be a way to prove it by comparing the logs of the games they have played?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_in_the_ass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

If they were both using the same bot, would there be a way to prove it by comparing the logs of the games they have played?
    Perhaps, but I doubt that app keeps logs, and it would only be provable if both utilized some really unorthodox strategy.

Even then, Jaclynn could just say Fernando taught her those concepts.

I still don't think Jaclynn was cheating, though.

Todd, did Mason notify you about this thread?

He posted a complaint about this one, and rejected you claim of not being able to monitor/take down...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...issue-1669455/
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Thread Information