The WPT has had a few close calls.. Several female pros have made the final tables in past WPT Open events.. Kathy Leibert has recognition as the most cashes as a female in WPT history.. But until 2/14/2017 no female had ever taken down a WPT open major event and earned the right to say they were a champion and had their name etched onto the Championship Cup..

Ema Zajmovic took down the WPT Playground Poker Championship yesterday for CAD $261,000 besting a field of 380. Her comment after winning "“Honestly, I am really happy that I proved women can do it. The funniest and nicest part of this experience was all the women who came and were so supportive of me. It was amazing. When I started playing poker, there was so much competition between girls. It was hard to be good and be supportive of each other. Now it has evolved so much and it is nice to see I had support from older women, younger women."

Ironically Zajmovic was also at the FT of the tournament Mike Sexton took down last year.. With the win she is now in 4th place in the WPT player of the year standings.. Its a good bet this might not be her only WPT Title..

Hendon Mob database shows shes only had a handful of reported cashes and this win more then doubles her lifetime earnings. Her best WSOP finish was a 929th in last years Main Event.

Oh and she gets a cool wrestling like title belt as well (Doesn't she look a lot like Liv Boree??)

Name:  ema_zajmovic_wpt_belt.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  185.2 KB