Thread: Druff's radio setup?

Load Metric

Druff's radio setup?

Went to the Indianapolis State Museum over the weekend and there were lots of pretty neat items. Including this 1920's radio set up.

Name:  IMG_0123.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  IMG_0125.JPG
Views: 406
Size:  1.43 MB

Name:  IMG_0124.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  1.50 MB

Load Metric
    OH THE HUMANITY!

ALSO, druff, fix the site please.

it's obvious the site is broken
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I will have to look into why pictures keep posting sideways. I think it happens when iPhone pics are uploaded.

It's not something "broken", but rather something vBulletin isn't doing properly when it comes to attaching iPhone pictures.

If it's not an incredibly difficult fix, and if I can figure it out, then I'll get it done.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Regarding my radio setup, I know you were joking and just wanted to post a 1922 radio equipment picture (which I enjoyed, being a lifetime fan of radio).

However, I do get questions regarding my "radio studio", and what I use.

The radio studio I usually broadcast from is a dedicated office within my home, which fortunately is not located near where anyone sleeps.

I do not have a giant microphone like you usually see utilized by most internet podcasters.

While the giant microphone looks cool, I found that a professional-grade headset (the same type used by announcers/commentators broadcasting NBA games) is much more practical.

Kinda looks like this one, but mine is better quality:

Unfortunately, these don't directly plug into a laptop, which is what I use to broadcast the show.

I need a pre-amp, which then feeds into the laptop, after running it through various converter cables I had to buy separately.

I also don't use a sound mixer board. As there are rarely people physically with me when I'm broadcasting, I don't need to worry about mixing in other microphones, so I just have my one headset and the pre-amp.

This does actually present a problem when I need to have two people in the same room, such as sometimes during the WSOP when people come to my Rio room. But this doesn't happen often enough to warrant changing anything, and I wouldn't lug that whole bulky setup to the Rio, anyway.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Regarding my radio setup, I know you were joking and just wanted to post a 1922 radio equipment picture (which I enjoyed, being a lifetime fan of radio).

The radio studio I usually broadcast from is a dedicated office within my home, which fortunately is not located near where anyone sleeps.

I do not have a giant microphone like you usually see utilized by most internet podcasters.

While the giant microphone looks cool, I found that a professional-grade headset (the same type used by announcers/commentators broadcasting NBA games) is much more practical.

Unfortunately, these don't directly plug into a laptop, which is what I use to broadcast the show.

I need a pre-amp, which then feeds into the laptop, after running it through various converter cables I had to buy separately.

I also don't use a sound mixer board. As there are rarely people physically with me when I'm broadcasting, I don't need to worry about mixing in other microphones, so I just have my one headset and the pre-amp.

This does actually present a problem when I need to have two people in the same room, such as sometimes during the WSOP when people come to my Rio room. But this doesn't happen often enough to warrant changing anything, and I wouldn't lug that whole bulky setup to the Rio, anyway.
    re: the WSOP thing....becuase I've heard this on the radio before listening to old shows.

you need one of those radio mics......then 2 people talk into it.....
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Honestly my bigger problem on the road is the fact that microphones without a pre-amp are just really soft on this computer, even using an external sound card.

That's why there are sometimes sound issues when I broadcast on the road, such as the co-host being louder than me.

This is so irritating that I may actually drag the headset and preamp with me to the Rio.

Load Metric
    I will have to look into why pictures keep posting sideways. I think it happens when iPhone pics are uploaded.

It's not something "broken", but rather something vBulletin isn't doing properly when it comes to attaching iPhone pictures.

If it's not an incredibly difficult fix, and if I can figure it out, then I'll get it done.
    FWIW, I usually view PFA from an iPhone sans Tapatalk.

I frequently see people apologizing for their sideways pictures and have been puzzled because they are always correct on my end.

The solution is obvious but nothing you can help with unless you want to donate to the indigent members here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I frequently see people apologizing for their sideways pictures and have been puzzled because they are always correct on my end.

The solution is obvious but nothing you can help with unless you want to donate to the indigent members here.

i also don't use tapatalk.

i ahd a feeling it was just iphones. I think the reason is the way the iphone saves the picture. it codes it a certain way when going through safari or firefox (i've used both, and gottent he same results).

there's actually a thread about this, and it was fixed, but i guess something went wrong?

George Steinbrenner

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

i ahd a feeling it was just iphones. I think the reason is the way the iphone saves the picture. it codes it a certain way when going through safari or firefox (i've used both, and gottent he same results).

there's actually a thread about this, and it was fixed, but i guess something went wrong?
    I never fixed this problem.

You are correct that it's possibly a way the images are coded/displayed on the iPhone versus computers, thus causing the difference between the sideways and non-sideways thing.

I'll have to look into why this is happening. I'm not an expert on the way images display, but I can learn more about it.

Banned
    Load Metric
    TAKE A FUCKING BREAK LAFFER. FUCK YOU'VE POSTED 100 TIMES TODAY, CHRIST

Comments

GrenadaRoger: his poker bankroll must be gone at the moment...

Load Metric

I recall one (or maybe a few) shows where you've talked about your head set and your set up for that matter. I think the head set makes a lot of sense for you because you really only have to worry about sound quality and not people looking at you and having a big mic/headset on your head.

PS: please no twitch Druff dick cam.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post

I never fixed this problem.

You are correct that it's possibly a way the images are coded/displayed on the iPhone versus computers, thus causing the difference between the sideways and non-sideways thing.

I'll have to look into why this is happening. I'm not an expert on the way images display, but I can learn more about it.
    Fwiw I did take the pictures from an iPhone but did NOT use tapatalk to upload them here. I used safari from my iPhone.

Also they show normal from my pov

Load Metric
    Honestly my bigger problem on the road is the fact that microphones without a pre-amp are just really soft on this computer, even using an external sound card.

That's why there are sometimes sound issues when I broadcast on the road, such as the co-host being louder than me.

This is so irritating that I may actually drag the headset and preamp with me to the Rio.
    PM me a link to something that can fix this for you and I'll order it. I hate hearing radio when it is so low that you get drowned out by basic street noise.
    "I GOT NO TOE"

#FreeFluffler #FreeThisGuyIsCreepy #lockupGarrett

Load Metric
    Name:  radio.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  689.5 KB

I always pictured it this way..

Everyone having a Pepsi.

Thread Information