When I heard Druff mention in this week's radio show about his fear of terrorism, I remembered this article I'd read a bit ago. And Druff's comments confirm something I've personally come to know about conservatives: They tend to excessively afraid of things, which drives them to "cling to their bibles and guns". In Druff's case, he clings to an asinine security measures targeting a religious group.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...olitical-wars/

Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives
Psychological insights might tone down the bitter feuding between Democrats and Republicans

The Fear Factor

Psychologists have found that conservatives are fundamentally more anxious than liberals, which may be why they typically desire stability, structure and clear answers even to complicated questions. “Conservatism, apparently, helps to protect people against some of the natural difficulties of living,” says social psychologist Paul Nail of the University of Central Arkansas. “The fact is we don't live in a completely safe world. Things can and do go wrong. But if I can impose this order on it by my worldview, I can keep my anxiety to a manageable level.”
Anxiety is an emotion that waxes and wanes in all of us, and as it swings up or down our political views can shift in its wake. When people feel safe and secure, they become more liberal; when they feel threatened, they become more conservative. Research conducted by Nail and his colleague in the weeks after September 11, 2001, showed that people of all political persuasions became more conservative in the wake of the terrorist attacks. Meanwhile, in an upcoming study, a team led by Yale University psychologist Jaime Napier found that asking Republicans to imagine that they possessed superpowers and were impermeable to injury made them more liberal. “There is some range within which people can be moved,” Jost says.