Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The science is in: Conservatives are fraidy cats.

Load Metric

The science is in: Conservatives are fraidy cats.

When I heard Druff mention in this week's radio show about his fear of terrorism, I remembered this article I'd read a bit ago. And Druff's comments confirm something I've personally come to know about conservatives: They tend to excessively afraid of things, which drives them to "cling to their bibles and guns". In Druff's case, he clings to an asinine security measures targeting a religious group.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...olitical-wars/

Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives
    Psychological insights might tone down the bitter feuding between Democrats and Republicans

The Fear Factor

Psychologists have found that conservatives are fundamentally more anxious than liberals, which may be why they typically desire stability, structure and clear answers even to complicated questions. “Conservatism, apparently, helps to protect people against some of the natural difficulties of living,” says social psychologist Paul Nail of the University of Central Arkansas. “The fact is we don't live in a completely safe world. Things can and do go wrong. But if I can impose this order on it by my worldview, I can keep my anxiety to a manageable level.”
    Anxiety is an emotion that waxes and wanes in all of us, and as it swings up or down our political views can shift in its wake. When people feel safe and secure, they become more liberal; when they feel threatened, they become more conservative. Research conducted by Nail and his colleague in the weeks after September 11, 2001, showed that people of all political persuasions became more conservative in the wake of the terrorist attacks. Meanwhile, in an upcoming study, a team led by Yale University psychologist Jaime Napier found that asking Republicans to imagine that they possessed superpowers and were impermeable to injury made them more liberal. “There is some range within which people can be moved,” Jost says.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    P.S.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1028
Size:  140.6 KB

Comments

big dick: lolz nice 1 mumbles

herbertstemple: Brain dead truck driver rep.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    It's good to know we have a university educated professional to confirm that people are different.

Load Metric
    You liberals are shitting in your pants terrified of Trump.
    Tradition is a set of solutions for which we have forgotten the problems.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    This might be the dumbest thread ever, and i know for certain lol wow has started his fair share.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Comments

MumblesBadly: You're an idiot. Sent from my iPhone 6s using my thumb.

herbertstemple: Mumbles is dumber than lol wow rep.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    When I heard Druff mention in this week's radio show about his fear of terrorism, I remembered this article I'd read a bit ago. And Druff's comments confirm something I've personally come to know about conservatives: They tend to excessively afraid of things, which drives them to "cling to their bibles and guns". In Druff's case, he clings to an asinine security measures targeting a religious group.

Psychological insights might tone down the bitter feuding between Democrats and Republicans

The Fear Factor

Psychologists have found that conservatives are fundamentally more anxious than liberals, which may be why they typically desire stability, structure and clear answers even to complicated questions. “Conservatism, apparently, helps to protect people against some of the natural difficulties of living,” says social psychologist Paul Nail of the University of Central Arkansas. “The fact is we don't live in a completely safe world. Things can and do go wrong. But if I can impose this order on it by my worldview, I can keep my anxiety to a manageable level.”
    Anxiety is an emotion that waxes and wanes in all of us, and as it swings up or down our political views can shift in its wake. When people feel safe and secure, they become more liberal; when they feel threatened, they become more conservative. Research conducted by Nail and his colleague in the weeks after September 11, 2001, showed that people of all political persuasions became more conservative in the wake of the terrorist attacks. Meanwhile, in an upcoming study, a team led by Yale University psychologist Jaime Napier found that asking Republicans to imagine that they possessed superpowers and were impermeable to injury made them more liberal. “There is some range within which people can be moved,” Jost says.
    I think it's somewhat true but impossible to conclude. Sample size and psychologists viewpoints are two problems. It's just a people thing.
    Fear is a top top motivator however

I just heard results of a scientific study on coffee. Who the fuck funds that?

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    people that get on the floor and pray facing a specific direction multiple times a day are stupid as fuck and I hate them

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    people that get on the floor and pray facing a specific direction multiple times a day are stupid as fuck and I hate them
    What's with the direction thing?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    Facing Mecca.

The sanctuaries of Jewish synagogues face Jerusalem.
    HILLARY WON

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Facing Mecca.

The sanctuaries of Jewish synagogues face Jerusalem.

Easy to find real Americans. We usually face the nearest bar.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The Fear Factor

This is a dumb study.

Supporting military action (the "more conservative" referred to for the US population after 9/11) doesn't mean you're scared. It just means you want to take action against a perceived threat.

If anything, a failure to take action could be perceived as fear.

Furthermore, the other study that "people get more liberal in an imaginary scenario where they have superpowers and can't be injured" is additionally stupid. It just means, conversely to above, you feel no reason to take action against a perceived threat because it cannot harm you.

For example, let's say I got credible information that a really tough, violent guy was furious at me, and coming to hurt or kill me. I might carry a gun around with me for protection -- not out of fear, but out of self-preservation.

Now change this example to credible information that one of Benjamin's 6-year-old classmates at school was mad at me and wanted to hit me. I would not carry a gun, nor would I take the slightest bit of action to prevent anything that the kid could do. Again, this wouldn't be because of lack of fear, but because I would have knowledge that the 6-year-old simply cannot harm me, so there's nothing to prevent.

Cliffs: College professors with too much time and research grant money on their hands.

Load Metric
    Druff, the evidence is mounting that there tend to *physiological* differences between the brains of conservatives versus liberals that contribute to conservos being more anxious/fearful.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...in-study-finds

Conservatives Big on Fear, Brain Study Finds
    Are people born conservative?

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals. The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.

The results are not that surprising as they fit in with conclusions from other studies. Just a year ago, researchers from Harvard and UCLA San Diego reported finding a "liberal" gene. This gene had a tiny effect, however, and worked only for adolescents having many friends. The results also mesh with psychological studies on conflict monitoring.

What It Means

There is a big unknown underlying these findings. Supposing that the size of one's amygdala really does increase the likelihood of being a conservative. Is the size of the amygdala determined at birth, or does it perhaps increase with frightening childhood experiences, such as authoritarian parenting and corporal punishment?

Similarly, one might ask whether the gray matter difference is affected by exposure to educational challenge, social diversity, or childhood cognitive enrichment.

The born versus acquired perspective on political attitudes is important to psychologists. After all, if political proclivities are fixed at birth in terms of brain anatomy, there is little hope of change. Most of us would probably like to see a world in which political attitudes were less polarized, and more changeable, but that may be a pipe dream.

Meanwhile, the neuro-scientific fact of two very different political creatures helps clarify much of the political antics of modern democracies.

Most societies are divided into a party that wants change (the more liberal party) and one that is afraid of change (the conservatives). The liberal party is generally more intellectual and the conservative party is more anti-intellectual.

The conservative party is big on national defense and magnifies our perception of threat, whether of foreign aggressors, immigrants, terrorists, or invading ideologies like Communism. To a conservative, the world really is a frightening place.

Given that their brains are so different, it is hardly surprising that liberals and conservatives should spend so much time talking across each other and never achieving real dialog or consensus.

As scientists we hope that these results are replicated because they shed so much light on political behavior. As citizens, we would prefer if politicians were not divided into such different categories of political animal.

If everyone was born with the same brain potential to acquire either conservative, or liberal, views, then we could be more optimistic about prospects for political communication and consensus-building. If voters were of like brain, perhaps they could be of like mind.

Load Metric
    So when LL has enough sense not to peddle his bike through the Chicago ghettos, does this make him a fraidy cat?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    So when LL has enough sense not to peddle his bike through the Chicago ghettos, does this make him a fraidy cat?
    what the fuck is this even supposed to mean?

have you ever been to chicago, the loop? that's where i ride my bike for my job.

not the ghetto.

which isn't even the ghetto anyway if you stay on major streets.

"Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertstemple View Post
    what the fuck is this even supposed to mean?

have you ever been to chicago, the loop? that's where i ride my bike for my job.

not the ghetto.

which isn't even the ghetto anyway if you stay on major streets.

LOL, more sarcasm.

It was a simple point I made.

Know you are not dumb enough to miss it.

Try harder.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Progressives have become the epitome of everything they claim to dislike...

There either insane or insidious.

They believe u can punch a Nazi in the mouth at will , deny them any an all there rights at will...problem is that they see anybody other then themselves as Nazis..loi

I love it that trump doesn't give a fuck and doubles down.

Now we need these riot ERS. To be arrested and sentenced to the appropriate penalties for the assoults , property destruction, and and I'll that befalls a citizennfor them blocking access ways ect act..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

This is a dumb study.

Supporting military action (the "more conservative" referred to for the US population after 9/11) doesn't mean you're scared. It just means you want to take action against a perceived threat.

Furthermore, the other study that "people get more liberal in an imaginary scenario where they have superpowers and can't be injured" is additionally stupid. It just means, conversely to above, you feel no reason to take action against a perceived threat because it cannot harm you.

For example, let's say I got credible information that a really tough, violent guy was furious at me, and coming to hurt or kill me. I might carry a gun around with me for protection -- not out of fear, but out of self-preservation.

Now change this example to credible information that one of Benjamin's 6-year-old classmates at school was mad at me and wanted to hit me. I would not carry a gun, nor would I take the slightest bit of action to prevent anything that the kid could do. Again, this wouldn't be because of lack of fear, but because I would have knowledge that the 6-year-old simply cannot harm me, so there's nothing to prevent.

Cliffs: College professors with too much time and research grant money on their hands.
    So good, it had to be posted twice..

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparten View Post

This is a dumb study.

So good, it had to be posted twice..

"Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric

Read this book, you'll learn that fear is a thing needed for your survival...
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

Read this book, you'll learn that fear is a thing needed for your survival...
    This issue is how fearful people should be. The research doesn't show that liberals don't have fears or don't see *valid* danger signals. It shows that conservatives tend to be more fear-sensitive. Which explains why periods in history when conservatives overreact to "perceived" threats, including the numerous times conservative Christians have claimed that the End Times are upon us. And why conservatives overreact to the perceived threat that legalizing recreational drug use would have on society. And why conservatives tend to be way more racist and xenophobic than others. Or cling to publicly hazardous gun rights for individuals, claiming they need them to protexf themselves from the government taking too much power. The list goes on.

So, do I think there are valid things to be fearful of? Absolutely. But nowhere to the degree that I myself, as a once-conservative, used to believe. That's right. I once agreed with positions similar to what Druff has expressed. But some reflection over matters, including how I've come to learn how conservative politicians have more often pandered to such fears, has changed my outlook on such matters.

Comments

GrenadaRoger: serious response earns serious respect

Thread Information