Thread: Jasep's local game shut down by the feds

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

Jasep's local game shut down by the feds

Ever play in the Baldy's game Jasep?

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3f15...ce1ad2d12.html

Twenty people have been charged in illegal gambling rings in southwestern Connecticut that have ties to organized crime, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.

The defendants include alleged associates of the New York-based Gambino family that a federal indictment says oversaw gambling operations in Fairfield County. The indictment says operators of sports-gambling activities in territory controlled by the Gambino family made "tribute" payments to the family to operate there.

A federal grand jury in New Haven returned the indictment May 8. It was unsealed Wednesday after most of the defendants were arrested. Nearly all of them are also accused of participating in a bookmaking operation in which gamblers placed bets with offshore Internet sports-gambling websites, including one based in Costa Rica.

The participants collected and distributed money among bettors locally and sent proceeds to others in the ring, prosecutors said.

Federal authorities are seeking forfeiture of about $1.7 million in illegal proceeds, including $174,537 in cash seized in an April 2011 search of the former Stamford residence of Richard "Big Baldy" Uva. Uva was among those indicted, along with Dean "Little Baldy" Depreta, 44, of Stamford. Depreta is accused of operating illegal card gambling clubs with others in Stamford and Hamden and reporting to the Gambino family.

It could not immediately be determined if Depreta or Uva had attorneys.

Authorities said the investigation involved court-authorized wiretaps over seven months and the execution of search warrants in three states. Several police departments were involved along with the FBI and the Internal Revenue Service.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenThumb View Post
    Ever play in the Baldy's game Jasep?

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP3f15...ce1ad2d12.html
    Misleading thread title but was an interesting read.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Very misleading thread title, lol... but no, I have never played in the game.. However, my co-host Kevin Wright may have and I will ask him about it on radio tonight.

Load Metric
    Actually, just got some more info on this from a friend, I have played in the game, don't know any of those names though.. I know one of the guys who ran a game that got in trouble.. I actually saw him around other games a little awhile ago and he said he was taking some time off from his game because he was burnt out. I guess he was trying to keep this under wraps...

His game was also frequented by a well known poker pro of African American decent who recently appeared on a fail podcast (I think)... this pro frequents all the local 1-2 and 2-5 games in CT on house credit.

Load Metric
    Ive been to some Gambino gambling houses. Its blackjack, roulette, and craps, Ive never once seen poker spread.

Load Metric
    From a different article

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,2590283.story

"The illegal card games were operated in Stamford at 514 Glenbrook Road and 859 East Main St., and in Hamden at 2965 State St., according to the indictment."

I attached the indictment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    From a different article

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,2590283.story

"The illegal card games were operated in Stamford at 514 Glenbrook Road and 859 East Main St., and in Hamden at 2965 State St., according to the indictment."

I attached the indictment.
    2 miles from the original Filthy Limper Studio

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I remember a while back "month or two" some internet sites w/ ties to the Gambino family got shut down. I thought these "mafia crime families" were a thing of the past except maybe in Hollywood. Looks like someone may or may not of turned informer. That real DEA show on I think Spike made one thing very clear, a very high percentage of people will turn informant.

That DEA show they offered some potentially very +EV deals. They bust in, catch a guy with enough heroin for mega years 5+ at least. As they're sitting in his living room they say call your dealer and this will all be a bad nightmare, you stay home and no charges or we can head off to jail. What's your play?
    Last edited by FPS_Russia; 06-14-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Thread Information