Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Sinking of the 'El Faro' (Black Box Transcript)

Banned
    Load Metric

The Sinking of the 'El Faro' (Black Box Transcript)

Many of you may recall last year in October when the 'RoRo' container ship the El Faro sank roughly 36 miles off the coast of the Bahamas.

28 officers and crew along with 5 Polish contract workers all perished after the ship was caught in the eye of Hurricane Joaquin en route to Jacksonville, Florida.

Joaquin was a CAT4 storm with sustained 120 knot winds and 160 knot gusts, delivering swells ranging from 30 to 40 feet high.

The El Faro was a 'roll on, roll off' vessel designed to transport vehicles, and other cargo that is too large for standard containers.

The ship abruptly sank after a series of waves crashed against the port side, knocking open a cargo hold door which subsequently flooded and caused the ship to list at 15 degrees, and caused the main propulsion diesel engine to fail, leaving the El Faro completely helpless at the worst possible time.

On August 8th, the 'black box' recording was recovered from the ocean floor, and over 14 hours of communication between the captain, mates, coast guard, and several crew members were transcribed into a PDF file and made public last week.

I read the document last night, and can say that it was positively chilling. Its apparent that the majority of the crew was likely in their cabins, and all the engineers were still in the engine room desperately trying to shift water to the starboard side ballast tanks to correct the list, and restore power.

The El Faro sank in less than 3 minutes, and the black box transcript abruptly ends with the captain and one of the able bodied seaman desperately trying to climb to an exit point before being pulled under.

Its likely that the rest of the crew was unaware the ship had gone down until they were hundreds of feet under the ocean. The prevailing theory is that many of them could have survived for days at the bottom of the ocean floor if they managed to seal watertight compartments, but obviously the supply of oxygen would have been quickly depleted.

The El Faro is a tragic incident which reminded all merchant mariners just how dangerous our profession is, and why safety is paramount in day to day operations.

If you Google 'El Faro Black Box PDF' you can download the entire transcript, which is compelling reading to say the least.

RIP to the crew

Comments

Tellafriend: Interesting

Sanlmar: Another good read from Tyde
    Last edited by tyde; 12-30-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Load Metric
    Likely already seen this but worth posting again for those that haven't.

Last edited by Lord of the Fraud; 12-30-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Load Metric
    "Hi, i'm Tyde. I make very interesting posts, but at the end of my diatribes, I no longer have the mental capacity to provide a link to what i'm talking about, so i'll tell you to do the work too, so that way you can feel apart of the thread too."

wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Faro

and since that pdf was kinda hard to find, here's that too:

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/58000-58...116/598645.pdf

-Larry

and i HIGHHHLLYYYYY doubt you read a 500 page document in 1 night. you voted for Trump

Comments

BetCheckBet: true his internet connection would not handle 500 page pdf

NaturalBornHustler: Choke on a n-word dick

JimmyG_415: LOL, I was thinking the same thinkg, whyh not post iut
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Banned
    Load Metric
    Larry you fucking neanderthal 30 year old small handed broke ass bike messenger mongoloid...

FYI I am 1500 miles from land right now with an internet connection that is reminiscent of dial-up and I don't have time to be copying and pasting links from Wiki, let alone digging around on Google.

I'm barely able to connect to PFA as it is, and most of the time I am unable to post at all.

So in short, choke on a n-word dick and get AIDS you fucking moron. You are quickly earning a spot in the coveted 'top 10 worst posters of all time'

In the old days of NWP you would have been bagged up so fast it would make your head spin.

Now go jump on your bike and pretend, even if for only a few fleeting moments, that your life doesn't completely suck ass and you aren't a complete failure at life

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: you fucking neanderthal 30 year old small handed broke ass bike messenger mongoloid... rofl i can't get up

Indyrick: nice

Banned
    Load Metric
    Oh and MORON...

In case you hadn't noticed, all 512 pages in the PDF are triple spaced, and only a conversational log...its not fucking Moby Dick.

I read the entire transcript in less than 3 hours.

fucking idiot. Grow a brain and quit trying so hard to fit in.

If were lucky, you'll get broadsided by a school bus on one of your deliveries ASAP

ONE TIME

Comments

Tellafriend: One time

Indyrick: solid post

Load Metric
    tl:dr
    Tyde, did you sink the ship?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    "Hi, i'm Tyde. I make very interesting posts, but at the end of my diatribes, I no longer have the mental capacity to provide a link to what i'm talking about, so i'll tell you to do the work too, so that way you can feel apart of the thread too."

wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_El_Faro

and since that pdf was kinda hard to find, here's that too:

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/58000-58...116/598645.pdf

-Larry

and i HIGHHHLLYYYYY doubt you read a 500 page document in 1 night. you voted for Trump
    Sorry bud but I found larry's post to be funny. News wise, a story must be local first, timely second, and the rest no one gives two shits. Different when you're sailing obv. but we're not

Load Metric
    See here's an interesting post. Marty, more of this kind of stuff and less slurping Trump's balls in all caps.
    HILLARY WON

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post
    See here's an interesting post. Marty, more of this kind of stuff and less slurping Trump's balls in all caps.

Says the same guy licking Hillary's nasty twat with all caps in his signature

Comments

jsearles22: Lol, hongkonger is a dipshit

Gordman: HOF

SysOp:

OSA: hate to gove this but #truth

Tegnation22: Headshot

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    Oh and MORON...

In case you hadn't noticed, all 512 pages in the PDF are triple spaced, and only a conversational log...its not fucking Moby Dick.

If were lucky, you'll get broadsided by a school bus on one of your deliveries ASAP

ONE TIME

yawn.

same old shit.

you need new material.
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric

That's just to tilt you and sidedish and jewlips and it's worked like a charm.
    HILLARY WON

Platinum
    Load Metric

HOF

Got eem!

Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric
    Oh and MORON...

ONE TIME
    TYDE THE GOAT

start at :29s mark. CAPTAIN FUCKING AHAB.

Load Metric
    Tyde's family came over on the Mayflower.

Load Metric
    The captain and the ship company are at fault.
    The ship should have never left port in the first place or at least turned around when they knew it was a category 4 hurricane.

Finding a lifejacket should be easy.
    If you jump in the sea with just a lifejacket, you might live 6 or 7 minutes before you get hypothermia and die.

I think it takes a couple of people to lower a lifeboat into the sea which you may not have enough time to do.

Comments

Tellafriend: Awesomeness

Gold
    Load Metric

Yeah I'm sure that after winning thousands of dollars from you on the election, dish is hella tilted about your all caps sig. I don't know how he sleeps at night.

Comments

thesidedish: nice

Load Metric
    Fools. Why didn't they just fight their way up like they did in poseidon adventure?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post

Yeah I'm sure that after winning thousands of dollars from you on the election, dish is hella tilted about your all caps sig. I don't know how he sleeps at night.
    Visit the Trump thread and you'll see
    HILLARY WON

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post

Visit the Trump thread and you'll see

am I on tilt or am I having the time of my life lmao @ libtards moron??

I'm having the time of my life and still admonishing ur behavior. STOP TRYING TO STOP US FROM MAGA MORON, how many times u want to lose, it is up to u. Isn't it so much funner to win??

Comments

donkdowndonedied: neg rep for letting him tilt you

hongkonger: Exhibit A

vegas1369: Major tilt

OSA: they will never get it

dick: def not tilted

Thread Information