Thread: The Real Hustle Does Las Vegas

Load Metric

The Real Hustle Does Las Vegas

I like watching Vegas-centric videos and I recently came across this show on YouTube. The Real Hustle is a British series that shows how various scams are perpetrated using hidden cameras as the hosts swindle (supposedly) unsuspecting rubes. Season 5 was filmed in Las Vegas and all of the episodes are available on YouTube.

The show fairly enjoyable. In each episode, they have a segment on Dealer Scams, a segment on how to win proposition bets for free drinks in bars, and then other general con jobs. Many of the scams and tricks are quite clever - especially the dealer scams which require a lot of ingenuity and slight of hand. Some are ridiculous and you'd have to be a complete idiot to fall for them (e.g., buying a device that can predict Keno results). This Vegas season contains a lot of scams that are gambling-specific. However, some of these scams could be done anywhere. The two male hosts, Alexis Conrad and Paul Wilson, seem like savvy guys. The female host, Jessica-Jane Clement, doesn't seem to have much bunko skill apart from being a good distraction because she's hot AF.

While watching one episode I was reminded of the first time I went to Vegas in the early 00s. My girlfriend at the time and I were walking in front of Caesars and saw a big Samoan guy running a 3-card Monte game. We watched for a bit as we witnessed several very similar-looking Samoans step out from the crowd and awkwardly lay down ridiculous bets (like $500) and win every time. The crowd looked on like an audience of parents at a really bad Christmas play. It was almost endearing. My girlfriend (who wasn't the brightest bulb) turned to me and asked, "Do you want to play?" I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the day.

At the beginning of each episode there is a disclaimer that all of the scams are done on real people who gave their permission to air the footage after-the-fact. I find that hard to believe in a few cases. Nevertheless, a good way to kill at half-hour here and there. I'll post the episodes below:

Load Metric
    The fat white guy, he was in the movie Shade. he was the dealer in the scene where they switch out the deck on Jamie Foxx and he loses with 4 jacks.

Also, i just skimmed the first episode but really...c'mon....no one deals 1 deck black jack anymore not from a shoe right?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLaffer View Post
    The fat white guy, he was in the movie Shade. he was the dealer in the scene where they switch out the deck on Jamie Foxx and he loses with 4 jacks.

Also, i just skimmed the first episode but really...c'mon....no one deals 1 deck black jack anymore not from a shoe right?
    It's true there are some dated scams in here that have no modern-day relevance. For example, they do a couple of scams involving coin-in/coin-out slot machines which obviously don't really exist anymore.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've seen these a few years back along with several other seasons this show had.

:wouldsplashJess

The one guy Alex did a show called "Hustling America" a few years ago that aired in the US. It was short lived and only had 3 episodes I believe but worth checking out if you like The Real Hustle.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post

It's true there are some dated scams in here that have no modern-day relevance. For example, they do a couple of scams involving coin-in/coin-out slot machines which obviously don't really exist anymore.

Still a few left in downtown Vegas...seem strange to hear the coins hit the tray

Load Metric

I always thought single deck was hand dealt

Thread Information