Thread: Another blow to EU: Italian Prime Minister backed referendum fails badly, he resigns, exit from EU may be next

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Another blow to EU: Italian Prime Minister backed referendum fails badly, he resigns, exit from EU may be next

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/europe...son/index.html

Cliffs: Italy Prime Minister Matteo Renzi attempted to get a referendum passed with various political reforms. It lost by more than 18 points, and he resigned as a result.

Now this is giving strength to anti-EU movements in Italy, and specifically anti-Euro-currency.

The EU is not likely to allow Italy to break away from the Euro currency, which may cause an eventual exit of Italy from the EU. Italy is the third most populous country in the EU.

The Euro was worth just $1.06 -- I believe an all-time low -- after the referendum results. However, it has rebounded to $1.08.

I actually have 80 Euros at home, which I took on a recent vacation.

Comments

LarryLaffer: i don't know if the title of thread is misleading, or just incorrect, but it should say italy somewhere in it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Cliffs: Italy Prime Minister Matteo Renzi attempted to get a referendum passed with various political reforms. It lost by more than 18 points, and he resigned as a result.

Now this is giving strength to anti-EU movements in Italy, and specifically anti-Euro-currency.

The EU is not likely to allow Italy to break away from the Euro currency, which may cause an eventual exit of Italy from the EU. Italy is the third most populous country in the EU.

The Euro was worth just $1.06 -- I believe an all-time low -- after the referendum results. However, it has rebounded to $1.08.

When I read this part of the quote I had the thought that Druff will want to trade Euros for Bitcoin.

But seriously since the Euro is so cheap right now I am surprised you are not planning a trip there soon. It is a good time to visit.
    Last edited by Indyrick; 12-05-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Load Metric
    Where in Europe did you visit Druff?

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric

How the fuck is this a blow to Europe? do you think EU and Europe is the same fucking thing?
    Slava Ukraini!

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    AC and Vegas couldnt agree on online gambling, another blow to the US

Comments

Deal: 92% of Trump voters do
    Slava Ukraini!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyrick View Post

When I read this part of the quote I had the thought that Druff will want to trade Euros for Bitcoin.

But seriously since the Euro is so cheap right now I am surprised you are not planning a trip there soon. It is a good time to visit.
    For what it's worth it's a factor into why I'm taking my family there this summer.

Todd if you want to sell the euro let me know.

Load Metric
    I would say "The Italians can't possibly be that stupid", but clearly that is no longer a valid argument against anything.

Italy's debt to GDP ratio is 132%, which is where Greece's was in 2009. The only thing keeping their bond yields in single digits is the knowledge that the EU (see: German and France) has a self-interest is not allowing Italy's economy to melt down. On their own, they're completely fucked.

All I really know is that if the media calls this process "Itexit" instead of the far superior "Italeave", I'm going to freak out.

Comments

Dan Druff: Italeave

Hockey Guy: I lol'd

sah_24: +1 to italeave

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post

How the fuck is this a blow to Europe? do you think EU and Europe is the same fucking thing?
    It was a typo because I was tired.

As Larry also pointed out, I also forgot to type out in the subject line that I was talking about Italy.

Both are fixed now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Nowhere.

I went to a non-European portion of a European country.

Any guesses?

Comments

lvpkr1009: Rolling with turkey

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyrick View Post

I might actually do that.

When I was in Canada last, the C$ was worth 75 US cents (as it is now).

I couldn't believe the difference. Everything seemed so cheap.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Nowhere.

I went to a non-European portion of a European country.

Any guesses?
    Aruba or St Maarten/Martin

Comments

MrTickle: was gonna say these two or Curaçao

Daly: St Marten is Dutch and French so all Euro

Load Metric
    NOW THATSAAAA SPICY MEATBAll

hashtag is this thing on

Thread Information