Thread: MLB owners & players sign new collective bargaining agreement -- here are the changes you will see in 2017

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

MLB owners & players sign new collective bargaining agreement -- here are the changes you will see in 2017

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...labor-contract

The main changes include:

- A higher (and continuously escalating) luxury tax threshold and a penalty as much as 90% for exceeding it.

- Teams signing a free agent with a qualifying offer he rejected will no longer have to give up a first-round draft pick to the team he left. However, teams above the luxury tax threshold will still lose a pick later in the draft, going to the team who lost the free agent.

- International players won't be part of the amateur draft, but there will be new rules regarding how much money a team can spend on foreign players.

- There will be various changes to the June amateur draft, but details have not yet emerged.

- Season will start 4-5 days earlier, so as to give teams more off days. This will not take place until 2018.

- Tougher penalties on players caught doing roids or other banned substances

- New domestic violence policy

I agree with most of these.

Load Metric
    A major league source indicated that there is now a developing perception among both teams and potential free agents around the game that the Dodgers could be under some financial stress.

Kasten reiterated that nothing could be further from the truth.
    planting a seed and awaiting it to bloom in the spring.

Load Metric
    DL reduced from 15 games to 10 games at a minimum.

AND

ALL STAR GAME NO LONGER DECIDES HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE ----- HOOOOOOORAY

Load Metric
    Do you not agree on the domestic violence penalties Druff?
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    DL reduced from 15 DAYS to 10 DAYS at a minimum.

AND

FYP

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    A major league source indicated that there is now a developing perception among both teams and potential free agents around the game that the Dodgers could be under some financial stress.

Kasten reiterated that nothing could be further from the truth.
    Slow day on Boston talk radio, Sally?

But yes, the Dodgers were purchased with a combination of assets and debt, like every other multi-billion dollar acquisition.

The 5 year debt-service rule and the payroll are separate matters. However, a decrease in payroll appears to represent sound baseball strategy. Because of the free-agent class coming out after the 2018 season.

The team performed objectively well last year after decreasing payroll $50 million. They could sign Jansen and Turner and still decrease it another $40 million this year. And then next year, when $45 million more in dead money owed to Crawford, Ethier and Guerrero come off the books, they'll have reset the luxury tax. Just in time for the 2019 season, where they drop another $75 million in dead money owed to players like Gonzalez, Kazmir, McCarthy. The only significant guarantee remaining will be to Kershaw. Seager will make his first million-dollar salary that year and as an added bonus he can share the left side of the infield with Machado. And bat ahead of Bryce in the order.

It's almost like the front office mapped it out this way.

But hey, how's Dembrowski treating you?

There there, I'm sure Pomeranz will bounce back. But even if he doesn't, stay positive my friend; the analytical guys stocked up enough controllable-young talent that it will take him at least five years to turn you into the new, current Tigers.

Comments

gut: shots fired
    Last edited by Henry; 12-01-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    DL reduced from 15 games to 10 games at a minimum.

AND

These two details emerged a bit after I made my post.

I agree with both.

The 15-day DL is too burdensome, as it causes teams to waste a roster spot with a player who seems to have a 5-7 day injury, not wanting to keep him out an additional 8-10 days.

The All Star game determining home field advantage was always stupid, but it got even dumber with situations like guys grooving pitches for popular retiring players.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The MLB All-Star Game winner will no longer determine World Series home advantage. Thanks to all involved on removing the dumbest idea since the possession arrow in NCAA Basketball.
    http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric
    Baseball is irrelevant until they let Bonds back!!

Guy Easily could hit 25 hrs and steal 10 bases a yr.

Don't ever forget he broke the walk record also. Same yr he hit 73. Should of had 100!!

They Dont make them like this anymore!! Tell your kids always to choke up on the bat a bit..

Fuck baseball now to many defectors.. Home grown bitches.. Never forget!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

But yes, the Dodgers were purchased with a combination of assets and debt, like every other multi-billion dollar acquisition.

The 5 year debt-service rule and the payroll are separate matters. However, a decrease in payroll appears to represent sound baseball strategy. Because of the free-agent class coming out after the 2018 season.

The team performed objectively well last year after decreasing payroll $50 million. They could sign Jansen and Turner and still decrease it another $40 million this year. And then next year, when $45 million more in dead money owed to Crawford, Ethier and Guerrero come off the books, they'll have reset the luxury tax. Just in time for the 2019 season, where they drop another $75 million in dead money owed to players like Gonzalez, Kazmir, McCarthy. The only significant guarantee remaining will be to Kershaw. Seager will make his first million-dollar salary that year and as an added bonus he can share the left side of the infield with Machado. And bat ahead of Bryce in the order.

There there, I'm sure Pomeranz will bounce back. But even if he doesn't, stay positive my friend; the analytical guys stocked up enough controllable-young talent that it will take him at least five years to turn you into the new, current Tigers.
    The Dodgers get a lot of flak for being a free-spending team and winning via giant payroll, but in reality much of the giant payroll is, as you put it, dead money.

Sadly the new regime contributed to the problem, with ill-advised semi-large contracts for McCarthy and Kazmir (not to mention giving Anderson eight figures per year TWICE).

But yes, once they stop paying Crawford, Ethier, Guerrero, Kazmir, and McCarthy, it will be like found money for the team. That is, if they don't stupidly give more big contracts to questionable players.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The Dodgers get a lot of flak for being a free-spending team and winning via giant payroll, but in reality much of the giant payroll is, as you put it, dead money.

Sadly the new regime contributed to the problem, with ill-advised semi-large contracts for McCarthy and Kazmir (not to mention giving Anderson eight figures per year TWICE).

But yes, once they stop paying Crawford, Ethier, Guerrero, Kazmir, and McCarthy, it will be like found money for the team. That is, if they don't stupidly give more big contracts to questionable players.
    Greinke's on the trade block by AZ in case you guys want him back

Load Metric

What possessed you to say that? This is Boston not Toledo or wherever you're from.

Gronk is done. Done for season. Done with Pats? Done for career?

The Pats SuperBowl duck boat parade was cancelled for this and a multitude of other fail. Oakland v Dallas?

Red Sox ownership IS Dodger ownership. This is my schtick. It is a teaching moment and I regularly try to boost Druff's baseball maturity and sophistication.

Epstein was strong enough to fight for a while but ran. Dombrowski's only success is that he got ownership to STFU and back off. Otherwise he is just a guy and most likely a fail like Detroit.

The whole vein of the financial conversation has roots in the deal between Dodgers & Sawks that had Todgers spending $250 million for a first baseman.
    Neverforget. I won't
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-01-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Load Metric
    McCUNTchen is heading to Nationals..

Thank God!!

This is what happens when you let the animals run the zoo..

Load Metric
    Oh, lets not forget that chewing tobacco is now BANNED for....wait for it....any new major leaguers. Everyone else is grandfathered in. LOL.

Are the umps going to inspect everyones mouths now?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Oh, lets not forget that chewing tobacco is now BANNED for....wait for it....any new major leaguers. Everyone else is grandfathered in. LOL.

Lol Brings me back to my playing days.. Home games u could chew.. Knew umps. Township payed Umps.. Away games U get tossed for chewing shredded beef jerky. Meanwhile the kid playing first had Redman in and a chew and looked like he was 23 yrs old.. Always 23
    Last edited by badguy23; 12-01-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

Lol Brings me back to my playing days.. Home games u could chew.. Knew umps. Township payed Umps.. Away games U get tossed for chewing shredded beef jerky. Meanwhile the kid playing first had Redman in and a chew and looked like he was 23 yrs old.. Always 23
    lol yeah.

Fucking dumbass Tony Gwynn and his family are partially to blame for this. Tony's doctors even said that his cancer was a super-rare, genetic type thing.....nothing to do with lifestyle choices. But of course, him and his family blamed tobacco.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

lol yeah.

Fucking dumbass Tony Gwynn and his family are partially to blame for this. Tony's doctors even said that his cancer was a super-rare, genetic type thing.....nothing to do with lifestyle choices. But of course, him and his family blamed tobacco.
    Dumbest thing I ever did in my life was chew..

We all no Ive done a lot of dumb things. It was all baseball inspired.

So I like that new rule. They should ban it all together.

But then the kids will just do heroin!! It's a no win situation

Thread Information