Thread: ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DOG TEARING ACL?

Load Metric

ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DOG TEARING ACL?

My dog is 10 yr old lab. Has had arthritis for last year and half and he couldnt walk really far. Maybe a block and half. A week ago he tore his ACL. I am not worried about the cost of the surgery, but I dont want to put him through a bunch of uncomfortable surgery and rehab unless absolutely needed. The vet actually said she wouldnt put him through it. There doesnt seem to be a good solution. There is also a 50 percent chance the other one could go.

Right now he can go up stairs but it is hard and he doesnt put much weight on back foot.

Anyone gone through this?

Comments

sah_24: awww pooor pup
    :freelewfather

Platinum
    Load Metric
    If I had the money and it was my dog, I am getting the surgery and paying for the best, most comprehensive rehab money can buy. I don't see how that type of surgery is going to be that detrimental to the dog. And again if you have the resources for the proper rehab I don't see why that would be an issue either. I would also imagine the daily pain and discomfort far outweighs the surgical process/rehab. Also make sure the vet knows how much of an absolute fucking baller you are, she might think you are poor or something and will skimp on the rehab. Wouldn't be a hard decision for me unless there was a chance of something going seriously wrong during surgery.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He will be putting strain on his other legs, especially the other back foot which likely weakens it over time.

At his age vets are uncomfortable doing some procedures because it could backfire making it worse and they probably fear being sued. If they are actually an honest place they might think the time he has left might not financially be worth it for most customers (you don't fit in that category obv) because the dog on average could live another year or two (he could live months or 6 more years who knows).

My advice is to get a second opinion and let them know money isn't an issue not that you want them to screw you but it's about what will be best for your dog for the rest of it's life.

Many situations with a pet can be different tho.

When I was young I had a puppy who was very hyper. One morning getting ready for school it escaped outside and someone was chasing it then it ran into the road getting hit by a car. It was very sad! The puppy could have lived with two good legs, one gimpy one, and another one gone.

Since we were attached but not to the point of years of having her we decided to put her down because she wouldn't live a good life being this young, very hyper puppy wanting to play who couldn't. At the time I remember being very depressed having to do this as a 10-11 year old but looking back in my particular situation, which is way different then yours it was the right choice.

Best of luck with what you decide to do but maybe the second vet opinion would be worth considering.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    If I had the money and it was my dog, I am getting the surgery and paying for the best, most comprehensive rehab money can buy. I don't see how that type of surgery is going to be that detrimental to the dog. And again if you have the resources for the proper rehab I don't see why that would be an issue either. I would also imagine the daily pain and discomfort far outweighs the surgical process/rehab. Also make sure the vet knows how much of an absolute fucking baller you are, she might think you are poor or something and will skimp on the rehab. Wouldn't be a hard decision for me unless there was a chance of something going seriously wrong during surgery.

That is the thing though he doesnt seem to be in pain nor does the vets think he is in pain. I actually had to go with a "mobile vet" which i didnt even know existed until I looked online. WAY cheaper than a normal vet because they have little overhead. They come to your home with an RV of sorts and have all kinds of xray equipment . Basically the only thing they cant do is surgery. Had I known about this before I would have used this service before he was unable to go down stairs.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    He will be putting strain on his other legs, especially the other back foot which likely weakens it over time.

At his age vets are uncomfortable doing some procedures because it could backfire making it worse and they probably fear being sued. If they are actually an honest place they might think the time he has left might not financially be worth it for most customers (you don't fit in that category obv) because the dog on average could live another year or two (he could live months or 6 more years who knows).

My advice is to get a second opinion and let them know money isn't an issue not that you want them to screw you but it's about what will be best for your dog for the rest of it's life.

Many situations with a pet can be different tho.

When I was young I had a puppy who was very hyper. One morning getting ready for school it escaped outside and someone was chasing it then it ran into the road getting hit by a car. It was very sad! The puppy could have lived with two good legs, one gimpy one, and another one gone.

Since we were attached but not to the point of years of having her we decided to put her down because she wouldn't live a good life being this young, very hyper puppy wanting to play who couldn't. At the time I remember being very depressed having to do this as a 10-11 year old but looking back in my particular situation, which is way different then yours it was the right choice.

Best of luck with what you decide to do but maybe the second vet opinion would be worth considering.
    Thanks for advice. I would pay whatever it costs to fix the problem. I just dont want to put him through hell if it leads to more pain. I guess there is no really no good options. His mobility before this was pretty limited now all he can do is go to his bed and go outside to shit. Even with the successful surgery, I am not sure how much he gains .

I got him this thing in the meantime which has a helped a lot while figuring out next move: http://helpemup.com/

Shitty

Comments

SantaCruz: Kudos for putting in the time and effort for your dog. Many people don't.

Load Metric
    bleach needle

Silver
    Load Metric
    I have a 5 year old lab. For me it would be a no brainer to do the surgery.

My brother has a golden who tore her ACL at 8 years old. They struggled with the decision based primarily on age and chance of recovery but price was also a factor as it wasn't cheap. They ultimately opted for the surgery and rehab. She was good as new afterwards and is now pushing 13. They are extremely glad they elected to have the surgery as they got 4+ more good years out of her. Now she's pretty much deaf and blind and I doubt she has another year left. Sad shit.

Anyways, at 10 years that's tough, if it were me I think I'd be inclined to not do the surgery but that's easy for me to say with no attachment to your dog. I may feel different when mine is that age.

Load Metric
    I wouldn't think twice about it.
    gl I hope he recovers

Load Metric
    Unfortunately at 10 yrs I wouldn't do it.

Such a difficult decision at this age. I hope either way your dog feels better.

Thread Information