Thread: SNL "Election Night" skit rips off 1971 All in the Family episode

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

SNL "Election Night" skit rips off 1971 All in the Family episode

I just saw the SNL episode featuring a skit where a few white liberals decry Hillary's loss as it unfolds, while two black guys (played by Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock) snicker. Basically the theme of the skit is that the ignorant liberal cry things like, "I can't believe America is racist!", while the black guys laugh because they've known it all their lives.

While this skit has received acclaim (liberals can laugh at themselves because the attack is coming from the LEFT, so it's okay!), it immediately reminded me of the 1971 "All in the Family" episode entitled "Edith Writes a Song".

Watch the SNL skit, and then watch the All in the Family episode starting from the 15 minute mark. Note that the All in the Family episode has pretty much the exact "2 street smart black guys laugh at ignorant white people" routine, in that case being played by Cleavon Little and Desmond Wilson.

Load Metric
    i feel like todger might actually be 58 years old

Load Metric
    I know you have a bee in your bonnet over SNL's obvious left bias but "rips off" is an incredible stretch, Druff. The themes are vaguely similar. That's not even close to fitting any reasonable person's definition of "rips off."

Here's a real example of SNL ripping off a skit from the Canadian sketch show "This Hour Has 22 Minutes."

"This Hour Has 22 Minutes" skit (aired January 2015):

"Saturday Night Live" skit (aired May 2015):

Load Metric
    I hear the SNL writers tend to go to comedy clubs around new york and just steal bits from new or unknown comics.

Supposedly it's been going on since the beginning of SNL.

Comments

LegallyNonBindingPosts: pfa's village idiot. as if you hear anything of importance. go back to licking alex jones' ass
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintjewlips View Post
    I hear the SNL writers tend to go to comedy clubs around new york and just steal bits from new or unknown comics.

Otherwise known as "the comedy business".

But yeah the internet really put a spotlight on how comedians just savagely harvest each others material.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintjewlips View Post

Otherwise known as "the comedy business".

But yeah the internet really put a spotlight on how comedians just savagely harvest each others material.

Name:  cm.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  4.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    I know you have a bee in your bonnet over SNL's obvious left bias but "rips off" is an incredible stretch, Druff. The themes are vaguely similar. That's not even close to fitting any reasonable person's definition of "rips off."

Here's a real example of SNL ripping off a skit from the Canadian sketch show "This Hour Has 22 Minutes."

"This Hour Has 22 Minutes" skit (aired January 2015):

"Saturday Night Live" skit (aired May 2015):

That really is a rip off. Wow.

I guess they think nobody cares about Canada.

My example is less obvious, yes, but it jumped out at me immediately when I saw it. There were a number of similar elements:

- Two black guys sarcastically mocking white people's concerns

- Some (or all) of the white people being liberal, yet still not understanding the plight of black people despite thinking they do

- Both black guys "visiting" the house of the white people (in All in the Family, they are criminals, and in this one, they are just over visiting)

- Both black guys mostly standing during the skit while the ignorant white people are sitting

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I just saw the SNL episode featuring a skit where a few white liberals decry Hillary's loss as it unfolds, while two black guys (played by Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock) snicker. Basically the theme of the skit is that the ignorant liberal cry things like, "I can't believe America is racist!", while the black guys laugh because they've known it all their lives.

While this skit has received acclaim (liberals can laugh at themselves because the attack is coming from the LEFT, so it's okay!), it immediately reminded me of the 1971 "All in the Family" episode entitled "Edith Writes a Song".

Watch the SNL skit, and then watch the All in the Family episode starting from the 15 minute mark. Note that the All in the Family episode has pretty much the exact "2 street smart black guys laugh at ignorant white people" routine, in that case being played by Cleavon Little and Desmond Wilson.

Druff, your post here made think of something: Does the cost of running the PFA site include the royalty fees for using the using the outro music from "All In The Family" at the of the radio show?

Comments

Republican: faggot
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Druff, your post here made think of something: Does the cost of running the PFA site include the royalty fees for using the using the outro music from "All In The Family"?
    No, I blew this site's entire budget on having 1000 incoming lines for the Call to Listen number.

Comments

OSA: sarcasm rep

Thread Information