Thread: My experience on a nuclear sub

Load Metric

My experience on a nuclear sub

[I was able to drive/steer an Ohio class submarine at sea. The USS Tennessee. Spent the night out there. My bunk was squeezed between two trident towers. Surreal experience. The Capt said he could put a nuke - one of many on the head of the ICBMs - not only into the stadium where the San Francisco Giants play, but actually into the pitcher's mound -- we were in the Atlantic. He took us to 800 feet and then did maneuvers. All of the oxygen and drinking water is from saltwater. The entire inside of the boat is on spring like devices to absorb sound. I was able to go through the launch sequence and squeeze the trigger. Couldn't sleep so I spent the night up on the sail with the other guys doing lookout. Watching the bow push the water was indescribably cool. The boat would radio other ships - all types of which were discernable by the sound each propeller made among other things. As we sailed if another ship was too close they would announce that the ship was the USS Warship Tennessee and instruct the pilot to alter his course further away. Was able to do this with a group of about 10 other people who were local dignitaries of sort in the community near the base. They wanted us to go back and talk positively about they were doing - which was quite easy. These types of VIP cruises were stopped shortly thereafter 9/11. Something else surprising was just how young the crew was. Barely college age or so aside from the officers. All were very impressive.

Not my picture, but you get the point:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comments

sonatine: far fucking out sir.

blake: cool

Dan Druff:

Thread Information