The scene:

It's 1996, and I'm with my then-girlfriend (no one anyone here knows) at the Las Vegas Hilton.

It's late at night, and she tells me she wants pizza. I am also in the mood for pizza, but the pizza place in the Hilton is closed, and no local places will deliver at that time.

I call around and find one down Las Vegas Blvd to the north which is open and will allow me to pick it up. I order a large pepperoni pizza, total is $11, and get in my car shortly thereafter to go pick it up. The area where the pizza place is located is pretty ghetto, but I throw caution to the wind. I think it's about 1am.

I get there and still have to wait about 5 minutes for my pizza to be ready. There are some weird and shady characters hanging out there, and I don't feel too comfortable, but I just keep to myself.

After about 5-10 minutes, they say my pizza is ready. I walk to the counter, check it, everything looks good, pay my $11, and am about to be on my way.

A druggy-looking white guy in his 30s approaches me while I'm still inside the pizza place. He asks if he can have a slice of my pizza.

I tell him that I need the entire pizza for the people I'm bringing it to, and politely tell him that I can't give any away.

He then says, "I'll buy the piece off you. I'm not asking for freebies. Just sell me a slice."

Again, I tell him that I can't give away any of the pizza, or some of the people I'm buying it for will not have enough. In reality, I just didn't feel like transacting with this guy, and the whole thing was weird in the first place.

By this point, the entire place is hearing the conversation and taking interest, as this dude is talking fairly loud.

He then counters, "Look, I really want that slice! I'll give you 10 bucks for it!"

At this point the guy behind the counter interrupts.

"That whole pizza is $11," he explainis. "I have slices right here I can sell you right now for much less than $10. If you want a slice, just come here and I'll sell you one."

The druggy responds, "No, I want that slice. Not the ones you have there. I want that pizza and only that pizza. So do we have a deal?"

I felt really weird taking the $10 for one slice of an $11 pizza, but it seemed this dude really wanted it, and I was definitely making out extremely well by the deal. I said, "Okay, if you really want to pay $10 for this, I'll sell you a slice, but again, maybe you should just go to the counter and buy a much cheaper one."

"No, I don't want those," he said. "Here's your $10." He handed me a $10 bill.

I then handed him a slice of pizza, and walked out.

Everyone in the place had a WTF look on their faces.

Explain what happened here.

Don't just say, "Cocaine, one hell of a drug." Explain what you think was going through this guy's head.

On a side note, I wasn't sure what my girlfriend was going to say about me returning with a pizza with a missing slice, but when I told her the story, she agreed we did the right thing.